Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Next botch challenge: I need to remove a cassette
  • mrmoofo

I have the right removing adapter and an adjustable spanner
    But I don’t have a chain whip

I have tried my old method of two rags wrapped counter clockwise – but it’s not playing the game …
    Any suggestions …

antares
    Free Member

Buy a chain whip 🙂

mrmoofo

yeah – but before I do that ….

sacktwist
    Free Member

mrmoo

I had the same issue a few weeks back, when I was away from home and I needed to remove the cassette to fit a new spoke. Like you I only had the adaptor and an adjustable spanner.

The first thing I tried worked a treat. Put the bike upside down and use the chain itself whilst resisting the turning of the cranks. I don’t think the wheel was in the dropouts, just somewhere neer so that I could bet a bit of the chain on the cogs. Little fiddly but very effective and a ride saver for me.

Good luck!

bramblerash
    Free Member

Screw an old chain to a piece of wood to make your own chain whip

chief9000
    Free Member

I would also make my own chain whip. But with a piece of metal. Surely you have a drill hacksaw and some kind of metal around..

spooky_b329

Wood would be easier as it would grip the cassette teeth better wouldn’t it?

theotherjonv

A mate suggests poking a screwdriver into the cassette from behind through the spokes to stop it turning. I wouldn’t necessarily recommend it – but might work for you?

mrmoofo

mrmoo

I had the same issue a few weeks back, when I was away from home and I needed to remove the cassette to fit a new spoke. Like you I only had the adaptor and an adjustable spanner.

The first thing I tried worked a treat. Put the bike upside down and use the chain itself whilst resisting the turning of the cranks. I don’t think the wheel was in the dropouts, just somewhere neer so that I could bet a bit of the chain on the cogs. Little fiddly but very effective and a ride saver for me.

Good luck!

That was the right answer !!
    You win this weeks official “Order of The Botch” – fashioned out of an old chrome moly frame and stem , with a black and red ribbon , to signify the oil and blood on the knuckles
    Wear it with pride, young Jedi!

Most excellent – chuffed to bits

sacktwist
    Free Member

Don’t know what to say. Thanks mum

STATO
    Free Member

Rather than fighting cranks and the cassette tool try this;

Bike upside down
    Wheel rested on bb
    Split and remove chain
    Wrap chain round the chainring and bring both ends onto the TOP of cassette
    As you turn the tool to remove the cassette it winds backwards, taking up the slack, both ‘sides’ of chain tighten and you get resistance to undo the locknut.

Variation on how to remove sprockets on fixed wheels without a chainwhip.

Fixed Wheel Sprocket No Tools Removal Technique

Holmesey
    Free Member

I can’t watch any longer- I’ll lend you my chainwhip.
    Or if you prefer, I can build you a Thermic Lance (guaranteed to get it off, but might take the edge off the gears, freewheel hub, wheel, garage floor etc)

seriously though happy to lend tools if you can’t be ar53d to build one as cleverly suggested above.

Holmesey

mrmoofo

I want a sonic screwdriver …

We are done, I have a result

Re the chain whip. I have one. It is back home in the UK, I’m not , I’m at my flat in Germany. Needed to bring the chain whip back with me- but it has been filed somewhere. This w/e would have been idea cos I had booked in luggage for the plane.

Can’t bring it back with me as it has to go into hand luggage – and they won’t allow tools in hand luggage ….

bristolbikeproject
    Free Member

Stato, that is genuis. I will try that. I’m thinking of ways to remove a cassette whilst on a tour. I know there’s something called the Next Best Thing. You can also use two wheels and one chain. It’s tricky and it takes two people, (one to hold the other wheel firmly doen), though it does work.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Next botch challenge: I need to remove a cassette’ is closed to new replies.