Viewing 38 posts - 81 through 118 (of 118 total)
  • NEWWWWWBLLLUUEEEEE bike thread. Whyte T130SX
  • cokie

Interesting choice.
    I’ve had many Whytes (4+) with internal routing and haven’t had any issues with cable rattle.
    Did you have all the rubber grommets in place at entry/exit ports?

weeksy

Yup, everything was in place, at places like Swinley on the roots, i felt it was very very rattly. I tried taping the ends at the grommets, i tried some foam, it may be that i’m hearing things but if i ride the Parkwood, i don’t get the same noises, so i figure there’s something that needs sorting.

Easiest solution was to remove the internal routing, if i still get a noise, i know it’s not that.

weeksy

LOL amazing. Rode the Whyte yesterday and guess what…. it still makes a noise ! Seriously ! WTF is that all about now.

I’m honestly confused by what the noise is now as it’s got no cable routing in the frame, so…. Errrrrm. Maybe the fork leg/damper ? something else ? Well, clearly it’s something… but i have no idea

weeksy

Well, that’s interesting indeedy…. Well, it is to me !

Silence… complete silence… exactly as it should be.

It was surprisingly horrible with 29er forks in though ! all over the place on the front end…. but… silent.

weeksy

Here’s a question then guys.

I’ve got some forks arriving monday, x fusion sweep. They’re currently 160mm. But can be lowered.

Any thoughts on running them at 160mm though? Daft idea?

weeksy

Forks fitted and test ride complete, they’re silent! Not a whisper. Couldn’t be happier.

Sadly, in 160mm trim they’re a bit rubbish and wandery but of course you’d expect that. So they’ll be getting dropped to 130mm travel tomorrow.

Just got to send the other forks off to Winstanleys and see what they make of them.

weeksy

What on earth is going on with those grips & pedals?

weeksy

I went orange to match the hope hubs and satisfy my KTM fetish. Although the grips are unlikely to stay as I’m not feeling them.

windysurfer
    Free Member

Give the forks a go 140mm, I like mine at that length on my T130

joebristol

Nice bikes those Whyte t130’s – looks very laid back with those 160mm forks on though!!

I previously had a 130mm travel Boardman Pro fs that came with 130mm Revelations on that I had extended to 150mm and it still rode ok. Much better on the downs but a bit harder to keep the front wheel on the ground on steep uphills.

Have the sweeps got a longer hub to crown length for the travel than whatever the standard forks were?

weeksy

I’d have to measure that. Give me an hour as the Aions are in frame currently to keep tidy and Sweeps are in car to be fettled tomorrow.

weeksy

3-4mm longer the Sweeps are from crown to mid point of axle.

highpeakrider
    Free Member

What are people’s views on the best wheel and tire upgrade for a 130?
    I mainly ride cross country no real heavy stuff was thinking of Hope XC with tubeless Nobby Nics.

weeksy

I’ve gone for Hope Pro4 with wide XC Rims and Maxxis Crossmark II for my XC stuff.

weeksy

Forks dropped off at LBS along with the damper removal/insertion tool i bought for them to use 🙂

I decided to have them set at 130mm. At the end of the day Whyte know what they’re doing with building bikes and if they decide a T130 is 130mm, then i’ll run it at 130mm. It was brilliant (apart from the noise) before so i’m sure it will be brilliant again.

If i decide to change the travel, i’ll not bother with the LBS, it was just because i don’t have an appropriate press for the pin or any suspension fulid, so gave it to them to swap.

cokie

Rode the Whyte yesterday and guess what…. it still makes a noise ! Seriously ! WTF is that all about now.

I’m honestly confused by what the noise is now as it’s got no cable routing in the frame

Told you so 😛 !

Did you try the original fork again after the 29er? Must be weird noise to sound like cable movement. Could have been something odd with cable placement or headset related?

Also, try the fork at 140mm. I really enjoyed my T130 at 140mm. Didn’t find climbing an issue and you get a little more travel for descending. After all, there isn’t a weight penalty.

weeksy

Did you try the original fork again after the 29er? Must be weird noise to sound like cable movement. Could have been something odd with cable placement or headset related?

Nopes…. But i may do as my forks will take a couple of days at LBS as it’s not really local to me at home, local at work. So i won’t pick up the Sweeps until Saturday. But i can certainly try the Aions in there again now.

It’s a clunky ratllely type noise…. the kind you’d expect of an internal cable issue really.
    My mate has the exact same bike as mine, same model, size, year… he has a similar noise too….

windysurfer
    Free Member

along with the damper removal/insertion tool i bought for them to use

Can I ask where you got the damper tool from please?

weeksy

Forks are now installed and configured at 140mm, the Sweeps don’t have 10mm increments, only 20mm, so my choices were 140/120, went with 140.

All done and ready for using, sadly, outside it’s the end of the world ! So it certainly won’t be soon !

LittleNose
    Free Member

TheArtistFormerlyKnownAsSTR – Member
    What on earth is going on with those grips & pedals?

I quite like the orange… it’s like how the lift points are marked on a structure… just need an orange saddle now Weeksy

Forks dropped off at LBS along with the damper removal/insertion tool i bought for them to use

POSTED 13 HOURS AGO

So i won’t pick up the Sweeps until Saturday

POSTED 11 HOURS AGO

Forks are now installed and configured at 140mm
    POSTED 1 HOUR AGO

I’m confused…

cokie

Sounds like a fast working LBS!
    Will be interesting to hear what you make of the 140mm, though I think being different forks will have a larger impact on feel.
    Also, I like the orange and also agree with getting an orange saddle!

weeksy

Exactly Cokie.

When i dropped them off he said “They should be ready for the weekend…”

He then called me at 6.15 and said “they’re ready”

It’s a proper little back street type LBS but they’ve always given me exceptional service at Rotec Cycles… top top lads 🙂

The thoughts from another thread is that they’re essentially the same forks mostly. But yes, i’m curious too. Sadly, i won’t really know much until Afan on the 24th as riding it on the Ridgeway after last nights monsoons would be somewhat pointless.

Either way, the grips are coming off after 2 rides, i just don’t like them. But i may still go with the orange scheme yes. I need to be able to distinguish between mine and my mates 🙂

highpeakrider
    Free Member

I’ve just put Hope XC plus some old Nobby Nics on, only had a quick ride up the road but the bike feels a lot more responsive and lighter.
    Weight wise with tires fitted
    Old rear 2700g new 2100g
    Old front 2200g new 1700g

This is on the 2018 T130S, I’m nearly 58 and 15 stone, bit of a saving but its probably more to do with the Nobby Nics being smaller and rolling faster.

Will have to see how it does on the Peak District climbs.

weeksy

Forks fully tested today at 140mm and the bike handles lovely 🙂

Whether it’s ‘better’ i’m unlikely to gauge on a muddy ride on the Ridgeway 🙂 but theres certainly no issues.

The bike is now silent as it should be, no rattle.

Aions are being collected by DPD today. 🙂

weeksy

Forks are now back at Winstanleys and going off to Greyville who seem to be the service centre for Suntour.

Looking though on their website, they don’t appear to do anything other than be a distributor.

So i’ll be interested to see what they come back with as a plan/suggestion.

Aion doesn’t seem to be in their range of forks now at all… So…errrrm

kayla1
    Free Member

What’s the problem with the Aions? If you’re stuck for parts you can use Auron (next 34mm model up) bits.

weeksy

They clatter and clunk when riding… They’ve done it since day 1 actually but i never realised as i thought it was down to the internal cable routing rattling, but then i externally routed the cables and still got the noise… which was when i then tried some new forks and the rattle has completely gone away.

weeksy

Well there’s some decisions to be made now.

Forks went back to Greyville and they’ve sent them back to Winstanleys who’ve now sent them back to me.

“Forks are now working perfectly”… Hmmmm OK…

Rang them but the notes don’t specify what was fixed/repaired etc as such so they’ll look into it.

So, do i keep the forks i have in there now or do i stick the Aions back in the bike so it’s standard, or do i sell the Aions. If i put the Aions back in it, i’ll sell the Xfusions.

cokie

Well, at least you’ve got a set of working forks back. Sounds like a good turn around too.

I’d stick with what feels better, then sell the others.

weeksy

So the forks arrived back…. Really impressed with how quick.

Service note stated “Cartridge replaced” which is great.

[VIDEO]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLz_mU5y7RE&feature=youtu.be[/VIDEO]

However, they still have this noise, either with the wheel in, wheel out, caliper on fork leg, caliper not, etc…

Ignore the noise of the wheel coming back onto the mat… it’s the 2nd noise each time.

I then fit the XFusion forks…. silence….

weeksy

Long muddy test ride on the t130 with the silent XFusion forks, absolutely brilliant machine. Love it.

weeksy

The Whyte was faultless with the new forks at Afan today., although arguably not amazing. The axle>crown is 15mm longer, along with 10mm more travel, meaning the front end was a little wandery I must admit. They were lovely and plush, responded well, but they take a little more input and effort to turn, so it’s not quite as playful arguably. I may soften them a touch to give a bit more day and lower them a bit, but there’s not miles I can go. I’m happy, but not over the moon.

superstu
    Free Member

What travel are the forks now at?

weeksy

140mm

weeksy

Dropped 10mm off the front end today which i’m hoping should bring it a bit closer. On the standard forks i had 1 spacer below the stem @ 10mm and 2 above the stem. I left them the same for the new forks when installing, but i guess with the crown height and the extra 10mm i should have dropped them first of all. But it’s all a learning curve. So i’ll now test it next time out and see if that brings it a little more into the fun zone.

Viewing 38 posts - 81 through 118 (of 118 total)

The topic ‘NEWWWWWBLLLUUEEEEE bike thread. Whyte T130SX’ is closed to new replies.