Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 118 total)
  • NEWWWWWBLLLUUEEEEE bike thread. Whyte T130SX
  • weeksy

So, today is the day… the new Whyte arrived.

Unboxed, checked over and it’s lovely, lovely little touches on it, just the way they’ve routed things, they’ve heli-taped things and just the overall design etc. Superb.

Fitted pedals, seat, grips, set up the suspension, set up the forks, fitted my other wheels (as i’m selling the tyres)

Test ride, it all feels BRILLIANT… really nice… plush, fast handling….

Then we came onto the problem.

Ooops… i had actually ordered a large…

But is it actually a problem… i don’t really know. It doesn’t feel like one, but i don’t have a large to compare it to of course.

superstu
    Free Member

Looks amazing.

FWIW I’d have in my head that the large may be better suited even if this feels right…difficult position to be in.

Oh and get some fibrax or similar on the cables by the headtube before going out and letting them rub the frame!

avdave2

It sounds from that that all you really need to change is the sticker 🙂

weeksy

Ummmmmm. Problem number 2 has appeared too…

The CTD on the rear shock does absolutely nothing at all… Nada…. same on all 3 settings… Which has pretty much sealed this particular bikes fate potentially.

Toddboy
    Free Member

How dirty is that mat? 🙄

Rubber_Buccaneer

So, today is the day… the new

Do you have a revolving door on your garage? 🙂

weeksy

I tell the wife, it’s time to worry when i swap women like a swap motorbikes/bicycles, until then, be happy.

legend
    Free Member

Does anyone else understand why we’re getting pictures of the underside of a bike? Are these the same photos that’ll be used in the For Sale thread?

mikey3
    Free Member

why didn’t you just add to the other thread you started?

chrishc777
    Free Member

A mate has had the same CTD issue on his Bronson, on his 3rd shock in about a dozen rides

weeksy

I didn’t use the same thread as that was the Kona leaving thread, so thought it would be easier if someone were searching for a Whyte thread in the course of time to find it.

Interestingly, the CTD issue you don’t actually get when riding the bike, it’s only when bouncing on it in the garage, when riding it, it does indeed react as you’d expect, not locking it out as such, but certainly stiffer and less bob.

blacknose
    Free Member

They’re long bikes so it might feel like you can get away with a smaller size, but my suggestion would be to get the ‘correct’ size and take advantage of the long reach. I’m 185cm and running a 40mm stem and 780mm bars on a large and it feels fantastic.

weeksy

I’m settled on keeping it. It just feels exactly right. It’s not impossible that the Large would feel better… but it’s not impossible it would feel too bulky.

Either way… it’s now locked up and put away safe and sound for a test ride on Sunday at Swinley.

Rubber_Buccaneer

I’d go for the medium but I’m 5’8″/172cm.

the-muffin-man

Nice Yeti

legend
    Free Member

a test ride on Sunday at Swinley.

So what was the first test ride that convinced you it was good?

weeksy

So what was the first test ride that convinced you it was good?

Just here in the close… nothing techincal 🙂

I can’t really take it out, thrash it round the local trails and then send it back as the wrong size… It’s either accept it for what it is or send it back. I’m happy that it feels correct. I moved the seat back a bit and i’m happy with the riding position both seated and standing. So there’s not a lot else to think.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

I’ve a large T-130s, and that doesn’t feel overly large IMHO
    a 50mm Thomson, and 780 Renthals, its seems spotty dog..

Love it.

kimbers

Personally Id send it back get a large sent out

speak to them nicely, if you dont like the large you can always ask for a medium as you know they have one in stock!

jambalaya
    Free Member

The colour is lovely.

TBH I could/can barely tell the difference in rear shock mode on either my Reign or Covert – both Fox

Size … mmm that’s tough, imo it’s easier to make a medium larger – stem, saddle, seat post etc but if you did order a medium you must have done for a reason

DezB
    Free Member

Interestingly, the CTD issue you don’t actually get when riding the bike

Interested to know how you thought bouncing it in the garage was going to show CTD working..!
    Didn’t do the garage bounce test on mine – but riding its very noticeable. Works a treat.

weeksy

Interested to know how you thought bouncing it in the garage was going to show CTD working..!
    Didn’t do the garage bounce test on mine – but riding its very noticeable. Works a treat.

Dunno really… seemed like a reasonable assumption i’d be able to notice the difference

weeksy

The guy i spoke to at JE JAmes when i was going to order one of theirs did ask me to check some geomtry settings as they ‘come up large’ so he informed me.. How true that is, i don’t really know.

I’ve just cheekily called Banjo Cycles in Newbury who have a newer one in stock in a Large… I wonder if it’s worth shooting over and trying it.

AlexSimon

Re: Size
    The only thing I would say is that in the second pic in the OP the seat position makes a bike that it meant to be long/low/slack look pretty short/tall/steep.
    So I would go large.

Then if the stem is as long as the one on that pic, I would shorten it to suit.

weeksy

1. The seat has been moved back from pic above, it was just where it ended up being fitted when throwing it on.

2. The stem on the large is 70mm the same as the stem on the Medium.

AlexSimon

2. The stem on the large is 70mm the same as the stem on the Medium.

Yep, so if the Large did feel a little ungainly (give it a few rides), I would go to a 60mm or 50mm.

But everyone’s different on bike fit. That’s just what I would do.

I really don’t understand how Whyte manage to create such a good value bike and sell through LBSs. It’s impressive.

cokie

Yeah, just shoot over to Banjos.
    You’ll end up talking to John no doubt. Really really nice chap- just explain the situation, I’m sure he won’t mind. He’s a hell of a salesman though, so be careful of walking away with another one 😆

fifeandy
    Free Member

Yeah, CTD is a bit pants, its more D/D+/DMax.
    Or bump up the air pressure big time and you get C/T-/T
    Being efficient for climbing and using full travel descending seem mutually exclusive.

wooderson

Did the geometry change from the 2015 to 2016/2017 models? I’m sure medium bikes came with a 50mm stem.

Being spec’d with a 70mm stem implies to me that the reach is shorter on the older bikes. Would a large with a 50mm stem (or shorter) not be more ‘Enduro’ 🙂

weeksy

Well, I’m not sure that helped. Went to Banjo cycles and sat on both the medium and large. Apparently from an angles perspective the large looks correct. But I have to say, the medium felt better.

Great lads and very patient considering I wasn’t buying anything.

weeksy

Well, I’ve taken a rather radical route and bought another one. This time in a large large, so when that arrives I decide which to keep and send one back

DezB
    Free Member

You like buying bikes almost as much as Robin Williams did 🙂

weeksy

So, I scrapped that plan after sitting on the Medium again and cancelled the large.

Took it out on a few trails today, yeah, its brilliant just brilliant. It handles great, turns quickly, picks up speed quickly and is soft and plush.

Timings wise I set a few Strava PRs which is always great. One long climb I did on weds afternoon also on the Parkwood and I was 8s slower today, which could be fatigue, a couple of rpm, good day, bad day, its close enough though.

But I just really like the way it rides in a way I never got at all with the Kona, I was never happy in same way.

sheck

Quite interested in your experiences re size as I’ve been mulling one of these or an orange 4, but reckon I’m in between sizes on both models. Both are miles longer than my current ( med) Spearfish, albeit I run an 80mm stem on that. Think you had a Spearfish… What size was it?

weeksy

Spearfish was a large with I think about a 50mm stem. I had another fish too which was also a large. Both were big, but not massive. The large t130 I sat on just felt really big.

caspian
    Free Member

I’ve a large T-130s, and that doesn’t feel overly large IMHO
    a 50mm Thomson, and 780 Renthals, its seems spotty dog..
    Love it.

At this point it would be very, very handy to know how tall you are. Otherwise this information is completely useless.

mrmoofo

I would love to know how tall he is , as I am 6′ 2″ and planning on getting a XL ….
    33 inch or so inseam

weeksy

Don’t forget lads, mine is a 15 so different to the 16-17.

weeksy

Tricky technical question.

My front wheel is 15mm axle. However its nothing like I’ve ever seen before. There’s no thread! I have a spacer on end of axle and a compression fit spider thing. When you push in the spacer, it pushes the arms in and you can pull it out.
    Problem is, my spare wheels don’t allow the axle to be pulled out, it gets stuck on the fork leg at the far end. You can use something to poke it in and release it, but that’s clearly not great.

Any ideas as to the solution? Apart from carrying something long and pointy of course.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Apologies all, I’m 5.11″ with a 31″ inseam..

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 118 total)

The topic ‘NEWWWWWBLLLUUEEEEE bike thread. Whyte T130SX’ is closed to new replies.