Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Newtonmore area, things to see on a short break with mo bike involved!
  • Suggsey
    Free Member

Me and Mrs S are going up to Newtonmore for a few days next week staying in a B&B and whilst I have had a cursory look at some of the things to see and do I would like to hear from people that have actually been as to what is the real ‘don’t miss this’ things to see, do or indeed eat out.
    The only restrictions are we don’t ski as my knees are shot, a bit of scrambling up moderate hills is fine and we will be suitably attired and equipped should we head anywhere near a mountain and I will not involve bikes as Mrs S hates cycling 😆

maccruiskeen

You’ll be 25 mins drive from the legendary Potting Shed Cafe at Inshriach Nursary (closed on mons and tues though). Make sure you get a window seat, the view out the glass will be properly thronging just now.

nbt

Osprey centre at Loch Garten if you like birds

If you like Birds and Cake then Inschriach Nursery tea rooms. There’s an RSPB reserve at Inshriach too I think

If you just like cake then still the Inschriach Nursery tea room, or they have another on in Kingussie I think

nbt

edit – bloody double posting

nbt

Great minds…

stumpy120
    Free Member

Dalwhinnie Distillery
    Highland Folk Museum
    Highland Wildlife Park
    Wildcat Trail
    Inschriach Cake Shop +1

scotroutes

Uath Lochans for a wee walk – and anywhere down Glen Feshie from there
    Any of the Munros
    Chalamain Gap

Drive past Garva Bridge to the road end and walk up/down the Corrieyairack
    Walk in to the lochan below Craig Meagaidh.
    Pony trekking from Alvie Stables
    Quad biking
    Clay pigeon shooting

Loads more….

househusband

Does the Aviemore brewery do tours..?

Highland Wildlife Park

Sorry, but I’ve been there a few times and I’m not happy seeing the distressed behaviour of many of the smaller animals (wildcats, etc.). Just my opinion of course.

geoffj

Rothiemurchus do a load of activities from a tree zone aerial walkway, segways to quad treks. Watersports at loch Morlich or Loch Insch

slowoldgit
    Free Member

Stroll around Loch an Eilein
    Cafe at Loch Morlich – get the corner table for a view, but not as good as that at Inschriach
    Ruthven barracks for a history moment

Suggsey
    Free Member

Thanks for all the replies STWers, given me enough to fill our few days.

sweepy
    Free Member

I’m led to believe the caingorm brewery shop has tastings and a good time to go is before they close for the day. Especially friday.

TroutWrestler
    Free Member

Smother yourself in meat paste and go for a walk in the woods?

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Have a wander down Loch Ericht to see Ben Alder Lodge, just to see how a Swiss billionnaire lives.

mattbibbings
    Free Member

The Spey is a great canoeing river and there are loads of options for hiring boats.

gordimhor

Watch a game of shinty. Newtonmore are the best team at the moment.

ChubbyBlokeInLycra
    Free Member

beaten to it but YAAAAY SHINTY
    There’s a steam railway round there as well, never been on it, but would imagine it’s a great way to see some awesome scenery
    Also, Ben Macdhui (second highest mountain in Britain) is doable in a day

seosamh77
    Free Member

Over a feshie bridge there’s a cool tree sculpture trail that’s worth spending half an hour or so walking around.

NZCol

I’m led to believe the caingorm brewery shop has tastings and a good time to go is before they close for the day. Especially friday.

+1 was staying nearby and dropped in before closing on the Friday to get some beer, got chatting to one of the brewers as I brew too. Next thing whisked into the inner sanctum not to reappear for several hours ! My wife was _delighted_ when i made it home….

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Newtonmore area, things to see on a short break with mo bike involved!’ is closed to new replies.