Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Newton Stewart
  • Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

Off up there on Friday for a few nights.

Injury and lack of room in motor means bike won’t be making the trip . . . 😕

What’s to do up there, not to miss etc, we’ll be doing a bit of walking etc, . . . Loch Trool, Raiders Road?

Any good Restaurants (would need to be kiddy friendly), curry houses etc?

simonralli2
    Free Member

Here’s my tour I did around Wigtownshire last weekend. Loads of stuff if you like megalithic sites, books or places of historical interest:

Megalithic and terrific tour of Galloway

And these photos do not include Galloway Forest or the nature reserve at Cairnsmoore of Fleet.

boxelder

How old are the kids?
    Ice cream theme park(lite)

fontmoss
    Free Member

I grew up in newton but not been back in a very long time, can go to blackcraig/k’tree for a walk even if don’t have the bikes. Lots of villages nearby that are quite nice.

ps k’tree is pronounced kir-och-tree 😉

pps kirkcudbright is pronounced kir-could-bree

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

There’s a distillery down the road from NS (not sure the kids would be interested tho), we had food in the pub across the road, it was fine. some of the beaches are very nice.
    there’s an activity centre on Loch Ken (in the sailing centre I think) and ringo rides/waterskiing at Loch ken marina nr Parton.

slowclimb
    Free Member

Go to Cream of Galloway, its brilliant, kids will love it: http://www.creamogalloway.co.uk/
    Its about 20 miles away but well worth it.
    And go into Stewart Cunningham Outdoors on the main street, good little shop with a decent range of kids gear.

wrightyson
    Free Member

Spent ten days around port William last summer which is about 30 mins from Newton and it was possibly the best holiday we’ve ever had!!! The chippy in Newton is expensive!! The beach down at st ninians cave is stunning also involves a bit of walk through the woods to get down there. Also if you’re heading in on the Dumfries road there’s several cool castles our kids loved, one near kirkcudbright that you have to get a boat over the river to get to, and another just east of Newton that gets great views over the sea/river/estuary, can’t remember which it was!!

failedengineer

There’s an Indian restaurant which, in spite of appearances, isn’t too bad. The food in the pubs was fairly dire when I stayed there last year. The pubs were also fairly dire.

wrightyson
    Free Member

+1 for cream of Galloway, the most strange selection of entertainment ever, one being a 600 diameter vertical plastic pipe up about 20m that you encourage/force your children to then disappear into a cage type thing that slides inside it!! Absolute pisser!! Also great pedal go kart track but take some flap jack with you coz I was a sweaty tired mess when I was dragged off!!

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

Thanks people.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Newton Stewart’ is closed to new replies.