Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • NewStans Flow Rim v's DT471 etc
  • paul123
    Free Member

Having some new wheels built at the moment and had asked for a DT471 rim. Bike shop have just told me they’re struggling to get the rims.

Therefore considering options I thought about the new flows. I currently have some Easton ARC rims with 27mm int diameter. DT’s are less than this and flows are more.

They’ll be used in the Alps and for general uplift duties but not on a DH bike so looking for something that can take a reasonable beating. To put it into perspective the ARC’s haven’t last any time and I never had too many problems with a Flow EX.

Anyone got experience of the new flows as can’t find anything on them.

Cheers

sharkattack

Try here for 471’s LINK

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

481’s?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    paul123
    Free Member

thought about the 481’s but they seem to be less robust that the 471’s and perhaps Flows.

Just realised that the new Flows are really available until around the end of the month either.

gravity-slave
    Free Member

My mate recommended XM481’s – he’s a shop owner and podium downhill rider who puts them on all his ‘rowdy’ builds now – Orange Alpine, Transition Patrol.

I’ve only got 3 rides on them so far on a new bike but starting to push them on rocky downhills and got a few PB’s today. They are stiff, wide and give a great tyre volume. I’m down to 26psi rear on a Patrol for fast rocky DHs (bad line choice, bashing through stuff and launching drops) and seem good so far.

Having had Flow EX’s I’d put the 481’s as similar.

Northwind

If you’re struggling with the DTs I’d consider WTB Frequencies- I replaced a mangled Flow Ex with an i25 and it was a lot tougher.

Stans seem to have fallen into irrelevance a bit now.

tillydog
    Free Member

Got a pair of DT EX471s from SJS last week after being put on back order elsewhere and then struggling to find them from anyone else.

Still showing as in stock:

http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/dt-swiss-ex471-275-584-mtb-enduro-disc-rim-black-prod35398/

Chainline
    Free Member

XM481 is lighter duty than the EX471.

New Stans Flow looks very good, good weight, good strength. I personally think good allow is making a comeback Vs the carbon onslaught.

paul123
    Free Member

Must admit to liking the new flow after taking a good look. Only concern I had with the 471 was the width

tillydog
    Free Member

Only concern I had with the 471 was the width

Same as the new Flow, isn’t it? (Also, I think the flow is a tad heavier?)

paul123
    Free Member

New flow is 29mm internal

tillydog
    Free Member

So it is! The Flow Mk3.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘NewStans Flow Rim v's DT471 etc’ is closed to new replies.