Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • News Sites ?
  • Ioneonic

Any recommendations for news sites as detailed below?

Specifically I’m after a non-personally-curated site which gives quality news (UK/International) ideally from a UK standpoint.
    It is essential it doesn’t tailor what is offered based on what I have read/what it perceives I like. That is more important than whether it has political leanings etc.
    Longer/opinion articles would be ideal rather than just rehashed news feeds. Happy to pay for it. Something like the Guardian Weekly paper (which I like), or INRNG (in terms of quality), but online. Sport not so important, celeb stuff definitely of no interest.

Probably the holy grail but I’d welcome suggestions …

Ioneonic

Bump for the weekend. Perhaps like the Economist although its a bit too much business orientated.

dannybgoode

The guardian app is pretty good but if I had the money I’d go for an FT subscription. Good quality writing and a good mix of news, politics and business.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I just go with a selection, Google now does some and does pick things I have an interest in but the source varies (including suggestions from the mail) after that bbc/abc(Australia as I’m here) and a selection of the broadsheets from around the world.

It is essential it doesn’t tailor what is offered based on what I have read/what it perceives I like. That is more important than whether it has political leanings etc.

Are you wanting a scatter gun news coverage or are there areas you are interested in?
    As above highlighting stuff that interests me and being aware of the source leaning is my approach

shermer75
    Free Member

Sounds like you want to subscribe to The Economist, excellent newspaper, gets published weekly 🙂

Ioneonic

Thanks.. I’ll check out the FT
    Mikewsmith.. Yes I’ve tried Google Now but actually think I prefer scattergun approach. And I would rather pay than be faced with repeated “You will never believe what x celebrity looks like now” adverts…

bikebouy
    Free Member

FTs very good, give it a whirl.

deadkenny
    Free Member

Selection of all and filter, analyse yourself for the actual facts.

Got to bear in mind that news media are not in the business of presenting news, but presenting opinion. Plain news is boring and doesn’t sell. All the mainstream have a bias of some sort.

I also look outside the UK as we have a natural western bias that is shielding us from facts.

IBT I’ve noticed covers some stuff the main UK media tends to ignore http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/

https://fullfact.org/ is also useful for fact analysis.

Ioneonic

Thanks. Yes I am after opinion pieces preferably where the bias is known or declared. I’ll take a look at those.

jambalaya
    Free Member

FT ludicrously expensive

ViceNews (international but with some interesting uk coverage)
    Huffington Post

If you have Apple then configuring their News App is pretty decent

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘News Sites ?’ is closed to new replies.