Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 268 total)
  • News of the World RIP
  • ernie_lynch
    Free Member

An investment Stoner. This Sunday’s News Of The World will have no adverts, just that will give it a rarity value, apart from it being the last edition after 168 years. Then the following Sunday’s historical first ever Sun On Sunday will undoubtedly have some exceptionally juicy stories – as well as lots of saucy pictures. Those two editions have got to be worth a few bob. I might have them framed, and hang on the wall next to the portrait of the Queen Mother [Gawd rest her soul]

amodicumofgnar

Good luck. Everyone will want a historical last ever edition of The News Of The World this Sunday. And everyone will want a historical first ever edition of The Sun On Sunday the following Sunday.

I did also say it would never work but the idea isnt not to buy the sun on sunday its to not buy the weekday edition.

yossarian
    Free Member

Anyone watching newsnight?

Hugegrant is on the warpath!

tankslapper
    Free Member

Did anyone actually read this shizzle?

NOTW – really? Who here reads newspapers when you can get it of the net 4 free?

Kevevs
    Free Member

I’m so interested to see the sunday issue. Whilst all the independent papers today were blaring about it, the Sun was full on in denial big frontpage about Rio Ferdinand and some sexual conquests or some tedious crap. and a tiny, tiny bit in the top about it.

Nick

NOTW RIP? I **** hope not, the **** **** in charge need to be hung drawn and quartered!

bruk

Hugh Grant bugs tabloid reporter!

Hugh Grant on Newsnight

Cynical attempt to save money in ditching something that was possibly going to be closed anyway to allow for the Sunday Sun.

Hopefully people won’t forget and will shun the Sun too.

If the people involved actually get punished ie jail time and ban from involvement in media then it will go some very small way to compensate the familes involved. Justice will probably never get to grips with all this though.

surfer
    Free Member

200 staff to loose their jobs= 200 people with a grudge against murdoch,

I dont think so given that the unemployed get 5 bedroom houses and £50k a year on the dole! 😯

markenduro
    Free Member

Go Hugh, never thought that he could have it in him to take them on like that, quite impressive for someone who I always thought was a bumbling idiot from the same mould as Boris Johnson.
    The whole Murdoch thing stinks, never have liked him or the ethics that all of his associated businesses seem to have (or lack).
    The lot of them need to be put against a wall and shot over the phone hacking of the Dowler family and dead soldiers, there is no way that people at the top would not have known about this when it was going on.

iDave
    Free Member

I dont think so given that the unemployed get 5 bedroom houses and £50k a year on the dole!

surfer = Daily Mail reader 😉

nickf
    Free Member

Go Hugh, never thought that he could have it in him to take them on like that, quite impressive for someone who I always thought was a bumbling idiot from the same mould as Boris Johnson.

Hats off to Hugh, though you should remember that he’s a hugely successful actor who really doesn’t like acting all that much, and who’s hated the Press – particularly the tabloids – since forever.
    Think about it – a clever, articulate, amusing and well-presented bloke sticking it to the low-life tabloid scum…..not exactly difficult for him to score points, is it?

And Boris the bumbling fool? Don’t let the image fool you. He won a scholarship to Eton, a scholarship to Oxford, where he was President of the Union), and was editor of The Spectator by 35. He may be annoying, he may be a Tory, but don’t ever make the mistake of thinking that he’s an idiot.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

He may be annoying, he may be a Tory, but don’t ever make the mistake of thinking that he’s an idiot.

Indeed. As was said during the mayoral campaign, he’s an incredibly intelligent man masquerading as an idiot. Unlike his main competitor…..

bikebouy
    Free Member

And whilst we’re on about Hugh and Boris, lets not forget that both ride bikes to work.. well let me clarify that, sometimes they ride bikes to work.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I dont think so given that the unemployed get 5 bedroom houses and £50k a year on the dole!

+

surfer = Daily Mail reader

Plagiarist more like it.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

he’s an incredibly intelligent man masquerading as an idiot.

Actually, he’s academically clever flashy, we all know that. But he’s still an idiot and a joke.

surfer
    Free Member

DD do you have a man crush?

BigJohn

It does annoy me that the media completely loses its objectivity when anything like this happens so the papers, TV and radio just turn into a staff newsletter for 48hrs.

Next up: A reporter talking to a reporter about what another reporter said to a reporter.

Do you know how easy it is to “hack” somebody’s voicemail? Phone up, no reply, goes to voicemail, you hit asterisk, enter the password which is usually 2222 because nobody (not even these slebrities who are so protective of their privacy) bothers to change it and press 1 to listen to messages.

And that’s a crime?

julianwilson
    Free Member

The bigger iisues will be:

1) Will the phone-tapping scandal ruin the ‘proper’ takeover of Sky News? Already heard some interesting arguments about how this is not a valid reason not to let him, but that morally ‘right’ decision may nevertheless be forced through.

2) MP’s already getting fierier (is that really a word?) since yesterday, no longer as scared about what the tabloids will say and whether anyone is listening to them anyway. Which irrespective of political persuasion Can Only Be A Good Thing.

3) Cameron will need to do some serious literal and figurative reshuffling of his dinner party placecards. It will be most entertaining (if a little depressing ultimately) to see him distance himself from Rebecca Brooks and Andy Coulson, like a hungover teenage hearthrob the morning after he snogged the class minger. And her brother.

j_me
    Free Member

And that’s a crime?

Yes. 2 years max sentence if you listen to the voicemail, 10 years max for deleting them.
    Clicky

MSP

I notice that sky news is actually displaying some “independent thinking” in the reporting of this story. I suspect that the “independent thinking” actually stems from instructions from Murdoch to put on a display of editorial separation and independence within his organisations.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Is anybody else noticing how the Police corruption aspect of this story seems to have (been) shuffled quietly off stage?

julianwilson
    Free Member

Woppit, yes indeed. I wonder what that’s about.

Surely a part of it is the willingness of politicians/journalists/Hugh Grant to be interviewed, which somehow makes more ‘sellable’ news than ongoing specualtion about an organisation which closes ranks so effectivley. Basically shuffled offstage because it won’t sell papers? Oh, my head hurts a bit now!

binners

like a hungover teenage hearthrob the morning after he snogged the class minger. And her brother.

Quality! Post of the week methinks 😀

I suspect the press will have been told to leave the police corruption aspect alone, so as not to prejudiced any future trials with speculation about individual officers. I’d say its pretty certain, given the public anger, that they’re not going to leave it to the useless and corrupt IPCC to try and sort out. It’ll be an inquiry with a bit more teeth, and we will see some (probably senior) plod going down. Which should be nice for them.

Apparently the coppers who took over this investigation are bloody livid with the half-wits who made such a mess of it in the first place

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

he’s an incredibly intelligent man masquerading as an idiot. Unlike his main competitor…..

Do you mean Red Ken (Cha Cha Cha)? Are you implying Ken isn’t intelligent?

He is, and he’s more clever than you is.

😐

Boris may be intelligent, but he is woefully ignorant of the needs of most of the people he is sposed to represent. He’s more interested in self-promotion than in representing Londoners, it’s painfully obvious.

Yeah, cos opening a sweet shop and having yer pic taken with JLS and Andrea Burke is really representing Londoners and earning yer pay…. 🙄

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

Apparently the coppers who took over this investigation are bloody livid with the half-wits who made such a mess of it in the first place

The new team will sort it out no bother.

Stoner
    Free Member

“It was a very important part of British newspaper history. In the 19th Century it was one of the highest circulation papers catering for the newly semi-literate population*,” says Chris Horrie, tabloid newspaper historian

* and hasnt come much further since 😉

binners

The new team will sort it out no bother.

How cynical of you MW. To be honest, I think the best we can hope for is that if they’re pissed off enough, maybe they won’t destroy all the evidence before anyone else gets to have a look at it. Maybe.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

How cynical of you MW

My reply yesterday was certainly cynical. Today it was merely light hearted.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

and hasnt come much further since

Stoner – I heard on the telly last night that the News of the World has (or had) the highest amount of readers from the AB social group than any other Sunday paper, ie, more readers in that social group than the Observer or the Sunday Times.

I don’t why, but I was surprised.

RustySpanner

Well, Coulson has now been arrested.
    Looks like he’s the sacrificial lamb.

Only hope of avoiding a huuuuge cover up is IF he’s able to spill his guts.
    Highly unlikely though: The police will know so much about his activities he’ll be offered a deal if he avoids implicating the Met and Dave too badly.

binners

Rebbecca Wade must have some serious dirt on Rupe (or at the very least James) for her to be getting this level of support. Its like an admission of guilt in itself, just to watch it.

He must be bricking it in case she spills the beans and blows the whole Sky deal out of the water

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

How is he the sacrificial lamb ? He was the editor of the newspaper at the time of the illegal hackings and police tip-offs. I would expect him to be the first person to be arrested.

highclimber
    Free Member

good riddance to bad rubbish.

[looks for todays edition of Daily Mail]

Klunk
    Free Member

How is he the sacrificial lamb ? He was the editor of the newspaper at the time of the illegal hackings and police tip-offs. I would expect him to be the first person to be arrested.

and Rebekah Brooks was in the editor when the Millie Dowler phone was “hacked”. I don’t see the Met knocking on her door.

grantus
    Free Member

British Legion not too bothered about milly dowler and so forth until service personnel families became involved? A day or two late but hey-ho..

thebunk

British Legion not too bothered about milly dowler and so forth until service personnel families became involved? A day or two late but hey-ho..

OK, you win the most cynical post of the day award for that one….

binners

You’re absolutely right grantus. Bastards aren’t they? Bloody British legion! All they give a flying **** about are the selfish tossers who layed down their lives for their country. Oh… and there families. The rest of us can just go and **** ourselves can’t we?

🙄

grantus
    Free Member

perhaps but they seemed to only focus on the fact that targeting the families of dead service personnel was a disgrace

iDave
    Free Member

whereas all other charitable institutions were laying into the news of the screws immediately 🙄

binners

Maybe being left to pick up the pieces from said distraught ‘families of dead service personnel’, first hand, for the last week may have coloured their judgement somewhat? I’d imagine it would focus the mind.

They may like kittens and save trees and all sorts of other things too. Have you asked them?

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 268 total)

The topic ‘News of the World RIP’ is closed to new replies.