Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 64 total)
  • news item about petrol rises to £1:40
  • mrmo
    Free Member

News item saying that possible rises to £1:40per litre by april. Thinking, i know some people on here do what in my mind are stupid commutes, at what point would you have to walk away from your job? and how high can fuel rise before things go really wrong? Obviously fuel is needed for transport, ie food?

ahwiles
    Free Member

i think fuel prices have already gone beyond stupid, but it’s not enough to change people’s habits / desires.

if cars had just been invented, they’d never catch on – the fuel is just too expensive.

but we’re addicted – we don’t care about the price.

i work with guys who drive 100miles/day, they must be spending £250/month on fuel.

they could take a £5k pay cut if they got a job they could walk/cycle to.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

In a minute some blinkered pillock will say ‘that’s still not high enough’

Wait and see…..

thomthumb
    Free Member

that’s still not high enough

i’m here all week

ahwiles
    Free Member

the price is irrelevant.

we’re addicts.

unfortunately, cars are brilliant.

GW
    Free Member

it’s already £1.37 at the petrol station I pass every morning. 😉

Hohum
    Free Member

PeterPoddy – Member

Wait and see…..

Still plenty of cars and other vehicles being driven about on the roads, so the price is certainly not high enough to have a significant impact on car usage.

It would be interesting to split out the effect of the price rise on commuting and non-commuting journeys.

I know that I am cutting down on the number of trips I do over the weekend.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

PeterPoddy – Member
    Wait and see…..

That, sadly, is TJ’s stock answer…

Times like this I’m glad I’ve a company car & fuel card…

niloC
    Free Member

some don’t have a choice, my folks live in a village that doesn’t have a train station!, the bus comes twice a week! Wednesday & Saturday and being in a rural area, no choice where you want to work! they have to drive, the nearest supermarket is 18 miles away! and no they can’t retire just yet, so what do you environmentalists suggest! diesel is already 139.9 where they are!

The price of petrol is rising a lot faster than inflation.
    It makes sense to fill a load of drums and store them in your garage.

trailofdestruction
    Free Member

There’s an ad just popped up over there >> about Red Diesel……hmmmm 😈

scu98rkr
    Free Member

Once you have a car, its still massively cheaper/more convenient/quicker than the train unless your heading to a city centre so Im not too sure what the alternative is for journeys over 10 miles.

To be honest I love my bike for short journey mainly because its quick and convenient not because of the price.

On about price I get the train(combined with folding bike) to work every day and it costs me about £250 a month. Again the reason I get it is because going into central london the train is more convenient/quicker than a car.

I suppose people might start cutting down on non-essential journeys due to fuel prices but this would mean the roads will be clearer so making it even more convenient/quicker.

firestarter
    Free Member

Prices are ridiculous and that’s coming from someone that walks to work every day

molgrips
    Free Member

if cars had just been invented, they’d never catch on – the fuel is just too expensive.

Don’t be daft, they caught on when they were invented and I’m sure running costs were pretty high then.

My point is that personal independent transportation is an amazing thing. Tremendously liberating and also massively useful to the economy to be honest.

We could do without most cars, but we’d have to restructure society both practically and physically.

OmarLittle
    Free Member

I seem to have noticed the roads a bit quieter when out for a ride on a sunday. maybe there has been a bit of a drop off in people going out for a scenic run in their car at the weekend. The roads in the city and towns seem as busy as ever though.

more and more cycle commuters too but that might just be with the lighter mornings

iain1775
    Free Member

Teetosugars – Member

PeterPoddy – Member
    Wait and see…..

That, sadly, is TJ’s stock answer…

Where is TJ these days, not heard from him recently. Can he no longer afford the petrol to get to work so he can log in here?

druidh
    Free Member

I hope it goes up even more.

That’ll keep the poor off the roads and make it quicker for the rest of us.

Seriously though – given the amount of speeding I see every day, it’s still not high enough to make some folk drive with a lighter foot.

Gachet
    Free Member

Seriously though – given the amount of speeding I see every day, it’s still not high enough to make some folk drive with a lighter foot.

I agree I was on the M40 the other week and I think I was just about the only car sticking to 70, just about everyone else was doing 80+. I think alot of people are actually quite stupid and don’t realise how much more fuel they use doing 90 as opposed to 70. But then again I don’t think it’s possible to drive below 90 in a bottom of the range BMW 3 series or Audi A4…

Someone I know actually thought that you’d use less fuel by driving faster on the motorway as you’d get to your destination sooner and the engine would be running for a shorter time time!!!!

anagallis_arvensis

so what do you environmentalists suggest!

move house?

Peyote
    Free Member

Last bit of research I heard about suggested it’d be £4/litre before most people started to think about other forms of transport.

I’m looking forward to a time when our society is built around people, not cars. Trouble is, most people won’t like the transition and won’t accept it’s necessary until the markets decide. Then it’ll be too late to take the transition stage slow and steady, actually it probably already is too late!

molgrips
    Free Member

so what do you environmentalists suggest!

Well what most sensible environmentalists suggest is NOT just cranking up fuel prices as this clearly penalises everyone regardless.

TJ et al do not come into the sensible category.

Even if petrol were free, I don’t think many people would actualy WANT to drive 100 miles each way for work, so that is something we can work with.

My first policy when elected PM would be to give companies tax breaks based on the proportion of employees working from home. And probably employees too. And I’d put in place programmes to help companies implement the infrastructure required with maybe free IT help and courses etc, maybe free consultations. I reckon that woudl have a massive impact on people’s quality of life since a great many people would instantly be spending more time with their families, have more free time to do what they want and enjoy themselves. Most people would go to one car, saving money in the process.

Of course it’d be a very expensive policy. Not only would you haev to come up with the money for tax breaks but you’d have to somehow deal with the massive loss of revenue from fuel duty.

TheBrick
    Free Member

New housing developments are still being built in the same fashion, business parks on the edge of town in the same fashion. The planners don’t seem to have joined the dots.

niloC – Member
    some don’t have a choice, my folks live in a village that doesn’t have a train station!, the bus comes twice a week! Wednesday & Saturday and being in a rural area, no choice where you want to work! they have to drive, the nearest supermarket is 18 miles away! and no they can’t retire just yet, so what do you environmentalists suggest! diesel is already 139.9 where they are!

Drive a smaller car,
    drive more efficiently,
    combine journeys,
    car share.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

“I agree I was on the M40 the other week and I think I was just about the only car sticking to 70, just about everyone else was doing 80+. I think alot of people are actually quite stupid and don’t realise how much more fuel they use doing 90 as opposed to 70. But then again I don’t think it’s possible to drive below 90 in a bottom of the range BMW 3 series or Audi A4… “

My Mondeo diesel at 85mph indicates approx 47.5mpg at 70mph about 49.5mpg. Over 50 miles I prefer to get home quicker than save a bit of fuel.

My wifes Seat VAG Diesel 85mph about 37mpg at 70mph 48mpg.

So if I am in the Mondeo I will do 85 if its the wifes I’ll drive quite a bit slower, but I wouldnt use it for my commute.

Oh and for why I commute 100 miles a day… blame the gorvernment for that one, we both used to live and work in Sheffield. Then as part of how the stupid NHS system works they relocated Mrs FD to a different region, even though they could have given her a job in the same region. Since then I have been trying to find a job nearer to where we now live (she couldnt commute every day with the hours she works)but nothing has come up as yet in the almost 2 years since she was relocated. This cost the NHS £6k in relocation, plus on going fuel claims of nearly £2k per year for her.

Peyote
    Free Member

My first policy when elected PM would be to give companies tax breaks based on the proportion of employees working from home. And probably employees too. And I’d put in place programmes to help companies implement the infrastructure required with maybe free IT help and courses etc, maybe free consultations. I reckon that woudl have a massive impact on people’s quality of life since a great many people would instantly be spending more time with their families, have more free time to do what they want and enjoy themselves. Most people would go to one car, saving money in the process.

I know this crops up everytime these threads arise, but I really don’t understand why companies don’t do this already. There are massive financial savings to be made by implementing flexible and home working. There is no need for tax breaks because the savings made from the reduction in office space and parking on site would easily provide a good enough business case.

The issue isn’t financial, it’s behavourial. It hasn’t happened yet because people don’t want it to happen because it involves a different way of living. The only way it’ll change is if people (and employers) recognise that doing things “traditionally” isn’t cost effective or efficient. At the moment that isn’t happening despite the technology being available and cheap enough to make flexible working a reality.

It’s always the case that carrots need to be backed up by sticks. The carrots are already there, The sticks need to be bigger and harder.

Sensible environmentalsts would recognise this.

molgrips
    Free Member

There are massive financial savings to be made by implementing flexible and home working

Yeah but they are not obvious. If you have a big company, having a few home workers means a saving of a few PCs and that’s it. You already have an office and car parking, IT staff etc etc. Overall, if a big effort were made then you could save significantly, but it’s not obvious to most.

There are also other advantages like for example you could employ anyone in the world, thereby giving you a much larger choice of job applicant. And it’d be easy as a wink to ensure say 24 hour coverage for your phones – just employ people in the UK, USA and Australia.

A tax break would simply focus people’s minds, I feel.

DrRSwank
    Free Member

Hmmmm,

What confused me this morning was the report that due to the trouble in the middle east the oil being pumped from the North Sea was going up per barrel.

No-one really explained how that worked – unless my geography is really bad and the North Sea is now in Libya.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Supply and Demand innit

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

it’s still not high enough to make some folk drive with a lighter foot.

I’ve been doing it for years now. Many reasons, but I need to drive for work so can’t afford a ban, I’ve grown up and I don’t see the point, and it’s cheaper on fuel being the main ones.

I workes out that if you can raise your average speed by 10mph for 1 hour (Which is a tall order) you’ll save 4 minutes. I just relax at 65mph now, which is just fast enough to be out of the way of the trucks, but slow enough so everyone else passes you and keeps out of your way 🙂

edd

I spend about £3,000 a year on train fares to get to work (London to Kings Langley – about 22 miles and 26 minutes each way).

With petrol at £1.40 £3,000 buys me 2,143 litres. Assuming 40 mpg that is 18,854 miles.

18,854 miles is about 429 return journeys which means that it would still, at £1.40 a litre, be much cheaper for me to drive (I don’t I get the train).

pjt201
    Free Member

niloC – Member

I suggest they move. The village they live in quite clearly isn’t sustainable. They’ve made the choice to live there. I’d be all for taxing people more the further they live from their main place of work.

Gachet
    Free Member

My Mondeo diesel at 85mph indicates approx 47.5mpg at 70mph about 49.5mpg. Over 50 miles I prefer to get home quicker than save a bit of fuel.

My wifes Seat VAG Diesel 85mph about 37mpg at 70mph 48mpg.

FunkyDunc, that difference in economy for your Mondeo is very surprising. My petrol Octavia 2.0 vRS does about 37 mpg at 70 and about 28 mpg at 80.

I think the extra speed effects the mpg more on petrol cars as they have a lower top gear than a diesel.

sharkbait
    Free Member

I suggest they move. The village they live in quite clearly isn’t sustainable. They’ve made the choice to live there. I’d be all for taxing people more the further they live from their main place of work.

What the f………… Oh you were joking! Haha, got me there.

brassneck

Yeah but they are not obvious. If you have a big company, having a few home workers means a saving of a few PCs and that’s it. You already have an office and car parking, IT staff etc etc. Overall, if a big effort were made then you could save significantly, but it’s not obvious to most.

The problem is (from my point of view, working in a team distributed across EMEA, on EMEA wide projects often in yet another part of the region) no matter what tools you have, team work is better or easier when you’re sat next to your team. In theory I could/should work from home, but the chance to work face to face with at least some of my colleagues is just plain better.

That and less toddlers being sick on my laptop of course.

My Belgian colleagues main problem is that he doesn’t have someone across the desk just to chew over problems with.. sometimes jabber/skype et al just aren’t the same.
    But I only have a 17 mile commute in a 15 year old 1.6 so the fuel changes are noticeable but not problematic as of yet.

pjt201
    Free Member

@sharkbait – no, not at all. they’ve made a personal choice to live somewhere that is 18 miles from a supermarket, has no station, no choices where to work and only has buses twice a week. there are plenty of other places they could live that don’t have these “inconveniences”. either that or they could get a one of the no choice jobs locally and stay there.

Peyote
    Free Member

Yes, this is kind of true. Although I find the larger companies are more accepting though. Finance Directors should have this kind of thing flagged up to them regulalry so when a relocation/reorganisation is taking place, suitable changes in policy and IT can happen at the same time. It’s really not rocket science and any Fin. Dir. worth their salt (in the blue chips) at least should know this.

No company needs a tax break for this, they just need to be informed. A decent targeted marketing campaign would be cheaper than across the board tax-breaks.

A tax break would simply focus people’s minds, I feel.

You could be right, but is it really enough to justify such a measure? I’m not convinced.

sharkbait
    Free Member

@sharkbait – no, not at all.

So we should all live in cities then? Have you considered the possibility that they lived/moved there before the nearest supermarket opened (and forced the local shops to close)/the price of fuel went through the roof?
    Being taxed for living in a rural community is possibly one of the most ‘intersting’ ideas I’ve heard in a long time.

Oh, and if I lived 18 miles from the nearest supermarket I’d use home delivery.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

the price always goes up in February/March, just before the Budget in fact, then the government makes decisions about fuel duty. coincidence?

pjt201
    Free Member

no, if you live and work in a rural community then that’s fine. however if you make a choice to live in a rural community and then work in a built up area, then you’ve made an unsustainable living choice.

Also I’m not convinced a supermarket 18 miles away would have a significant impact on local shops.

molgrips
    Free Member

no, not at all. they’ve made a personal choice to live somewhere that is 18 miles from a supermarket

For old folk, it’s not hard to imagine that they lived there when there were jobs, shops, a station and busses and now are stranded.

But in any case it raises a deeper point – do we have a right to a location we call home? Or should we be forced to move to other busier places, away from family and friends to make it cheaper to provide services?

Pigface
    Free Member

Price rises are due to speculators, same as with wheat and all sorts of other commodities.

Noting wrong with companies making profits but British Gas and Shell seem to be doing very very well at the moment.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 64 total)

The topic ‘news item about petrol rises to £1:40’ is closed to new replies.