Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • News article fail – a missed opportunity??
  • BoardinBob

The Evening Times has an article today about the differences between commuting by bike, bus and car. While the bike was the clear winner time wise I think the cyclist did more harm than good with regards to encouraging people to cycle as he made so many references to the dangers he encountered i.e. almost crashing into a bus, cars making left turns across him, the potholes, the state of the cyle lanes etc. It just seems like a missed opportunity to promote commuting by bike

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/news/display.var.2528561.0.on_your_bike.php

coffeeking
    Free Member

You could simply say it was a fair reflection. I, daily, have those problems. To suggest people do things without giving them the facts would be wrong surely? That said, it was rather exaggerated.

BoardinBob

The car driver make no mention of the poor driving she would have encountered?

The bus passenger made no mention of the buckfast fueled jakes he shared the bus with?

coffeeking
    Free Member

The car driver make no mention of the poor driving she would have encountered?

In a car I rarely care about the other bad drivers, its all low speed and just mildly frustrating, and I'm warm with a radio on and my other half by my side chatting.

The bus passenger made no mention of the buckfast fueled jakes he shared the bus with?

Thats a fair point, I hate public transport with a passion partly for that reason (and partly because it's about the slowest pain in the ass method of getting to somewhere near work but not quite, requiring either a mile or twos walk or another set of tickets to get closer)

BigDummy
    Free Member

"Fast but a bit hairy" captures the experience of riding into big cities in rush-hour doesn't it?

epicsteve
    Free Member

The never include motorbikes or scooters in these tests.

I'm about 8 miles from the centre of Edinburgh and in rush hour I'd definitely beat the bus or car by cycling, however the motorbike would be a lot quicker.

coffeeking
    Free Member

however the motorbike would be a lot quicker.

Dya reckon? In cities I find the spaces to open up a bike are minimal. You could well be right though, depending on the location and route.

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

that's not a news FAIL, THIS is a news FAIL

crazy-legs

Yeah, not the most encouraging write up ever was it.

I'm about 8 miles from the centre of Edinburgh and in rush hour I'd definitely beat the bus or car by cycling, however the motorbike would be a lot quicker.

IIRC most of these car v bus v bike v motorbike things the bike wins but it does depend a little bit on the route and the red lights/traffic.
    Thing about a bike is it's consistent – my commute can be anything between 40mins to 1.15 or so by car. Bike it's a consistent 50 mins every time.

epicsteve
    Free Member

When I used to commute into the centre of Edinburgh the motorbike was way quicker than anything else. The pushbike was quicker than the car in rush-hour, but slower at other times. The bus was never great, despite just needing one bus to the centre of town and with the stop close to my house. I'm not a particularily agressive filterer on the motorbike either, however I mostly used trail bikes which can fit into most of the same places that push-bikes can.

My current commute is short and the roads quite quiet so the motorbike and car take the same time, and the push-bike is slower. Not that it's that much of a difference as we're talking 8 minutes in the car/motorbike compared to 15 cycling.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘News article fail – a missed opportunity??’ is closed to new replies.