Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Newjobtrackworld
  • littlemisspanda
    Free Member

OK, so I am now in the rather unusual position of having two job offers to consider!

One – where I work now. Offered to me as part of a restructure. Is not ideally what I want to do, but is a step up in responsibility, and a chance to develop a new skill set. However, they will not give me a pay rise, nor will they put in writing the verbally agreed pay review after 3 months in the job, nor will they specify what any pay rise might amount to if I was awarded one.

Money isn’t everything though and I do like the people here (bar the odd tw@ but you get those everywhere) and in general, I don’t hate coming to work. They are pretty flexible and I can work from home if I need to, so long as it’s not too often/not taking the p. Useful if you’re a cyclists who has accidents and needs physio, I live about 15 miles away so it means that if I have an appointment to go to I don’t have to worry about rushing back in rush hour traffic.

Other job offer – different company, closer to home, and a much safer bike commute – roads with cycle/bus lanes all the way and a good public transport link, so I wouldn’t need to use the car. With my partner soon to be out of work, it would be handy if he had the option to drive available since we don’t know where he’ll end up getting a new job. It is a step up in responsibility, a small pay rise, but not much (but at least I actually know what they’re offering) and the pension is better.

However, I don’t know the people – they seemed nice, but then everyone seems nice at an interview as they’re trying to give a good impression! The role is new, and it does sound pretty demanding, there’s management responsibility which I’ve not had much of before. I am interested in taking on a new challenge though – there have been things going on at my current workplace which I’ve not been very happy with during the restructure and I’m not quite sure what my career prospects will be here given the massive cuts they have made to the workforce.

Just wondered what the good folk at STW value in a job/workplace – how do you decide between two offers that have both good and bad things about them? No workplace is perfect….

wwaswas

good timing with your issue earlier in the week 🙂

My 2p go with the one that feels ‘right’ even if it’s a leap into the unknown.

footflaps

I’d hand around the new place at 5pm ish and see what time people stay till and what their dress code is – two indicators of how relaxed the place is to work. If everyone wears suits and stays till 7pm on a Wednesday etc, I’m out…..

littlemisspanda
    Free Member

good timing with your issue earlier in the week

yeah, it does mean that either way I’m more remote from those issues!

Job offers are like buses….I haven’t had any for months, been looking since the start of the year because I knew the restructure was coming and I was concerned since they cut quite a few jobs in my department. I’ve been for something like 6 interviews in as many months, one job I turned down as something didn’t feel right with it, one I got to second interview but they hired internally, and the rest I didn’t get. So I wonder if being offered this one and especially less than 24h after the interview is serendipity…..

monkey_boy
    Free Member

best tip i ever heard is…

flip a coin, you will make your decision before it hits the ground 😉

robdob
    Free Member

I would accept the new place, if the old place want you badly enough they’ll offer more, but they don’t sound great.

dmorts

Restructuring is rarely a single event, more an on going process. So might find it occurring again in 6 months with you at risk next time…

New job at new company seems better option to me, the only down side is you don’t know what they’re like…. but that will be the same for any new job in a new company surely?

unklehomered
    Free Member

I would accept the new place, if the old place want you badly enough they’ll offer more, but they don’t sound great.

this, but be willing to go. I did this once, honestly thinking the huge experience I had accumulated and the wide role I’d carved out for myself might mean efforts were made to retain me.

Nope.

Fortunatley the new place was ace and alot of fun to work, until we all lost our jobs… 😕

bearnecessities

flip a coin, you will make your decision before it hits the ground

*steals to use in an intellectual conversation one day*

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Newjobtrackworld’ is closed to new replies.