Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 242 total)
  • Newcastle upon tyne
  • Stumpi
    Free Member

Had a great ride, know why you want to keep that little gem quiet. Rode up and round the crag, great decent although I now need a new mech hanger lol. explored a few of your little groomed runs too, very nice indeed and well put together.

Roll on next time.

Drac

Cracking place isn't glad you enjoyed it. Yeah the descent from the crag has no sympathy.

toons
    Free Member

I love it up there; Thrunton does cause quite a few mechanicals\injuries!

Give me a shout next time you’re up.

Stumpi
    Free Member

Hi guys, am over your way again this evening and intend to have another craig loop ride.
    Not sure how strong Ill be as I beat myself up round Innerliethen last night for a couple of hours but would love some company if you're free.

Leaving Glasgow around 4 ish so reckon I'll be the between 6.30 and 7.

Hope to see you if you can make it.

Dave

samuri
    Free Member

I'd be interested next week if anyone else is, I'll be up Tuesday night. I was very bored this week and the weather looked fantastic. I ended up watching two films (Truman show and then Primer – not a film to be watched when you're tired) and going to bed early. Rock and roll.

Drac

Will try and get tonight, next week should be fine too was going to be in touch about then anyway samuri. Stumpi if I make it I'll be in a red golf or maybe black a3.

Stumpi
    Free Member

Black Avensis. Eta 7

toons
    Free Member

Sorry Stumpi can't make tonight, our lass is going out 🙁

Samuri, I can do next Tuesday around 19:15?

qcamel
    Free Member

Samuri, I can do next Tuesday around 19:15?

Can you? After a day at GT?

carbon337
    Free Member

wouldnt mind going up tonight but got some work to do 🙁 ****!

qcamel
    Free Member

Oh, and is Craig loop Thrunton?

toons
    Free Member

Bollox, qcamel you're quite right, I can't. Sorry can't do next Tuesday!!

Carbon337, what happened last night, didn't see you? After all that rain it was quite slippery last night, I had a nice trip over the bars!!

Stumpi
    Free Member

OMG
    well, got there around 7ish and instead of riding round the crag again I spent a good couple of hours exploring and oh my, haven't you been busy up there!
    I'm sure there are more but the runs I found were amazing, well done indeed.

I even found the cheeky little run between the trees on the lower part of the wood, you know, the one with the front wheel eating bog half way through! Lol, over the bars I went.

Love the place and understand why you don't want it spoilt.

Look forward to coming back in a coupla weeks.

wenanwhere
    Free Member

Sounds like you guys have been having some good rides up at thrunton. I joined the trail builders a year and a half ago now and am glad that people are enjoying the stuff we've been working on.

Just wanted to echo Ians points really, I don't think anyone wants to see thrunton move more towards a trail centre with mass usage (indeed the people who dug some of the original trails might jump off one of the crags) so its fair enough to respect some of the original builders wishes and try and maintain the best possible relationship with the FC through keeping the trails fairly low key. I'm sure people have been heading up since before I was probably born but I think the newer trails in the trees will generally not last half as well as some of the classic crags stuff?

On the flipside a small random bunch of us meet at the carpark the first Sunday of each month to maintain/improve and build new stuff, it would be great to see some of you come along if you can make it.
    I think its definitely noticeable that a lot more people are now riding the trails and I think most of our work this year will be trying to make sure they dont get washed out so the more hands the better!
    I'm sure this type of discussion has been had many times over about other local woods, its difficult to try and have your 2p without sounding like a selfish trail builder who wants their work to themselves!

Feel free to get in touch if you'd like any more info about the dig days.

Matt

toons
    Free Member

Stumpi, my email is in my profile, give me a shout next time you're up and we'll give you a guided tour 🙂

samuri
    Free Member

Right well you've got about three weeks to show me round, and then my Newcastle tour is over.

toons
    Free Member

photo from Wednesday Night

Drac

I forgot mrs had a night out planned so didn't get. I hope to get next week though.

Wenanwhere much better put. I do appreciate the work done and have tried to get over to help but due to no real excuse never made it. I don't think it'll reach trail centre levels, I hope not, but it's certainly much busier than just a few years ago. And it's the trails that have done it. Not a bad thing really but saying shhh don't mention them is futile. Word of mouth has spread about these trails much quicker than a few posts on here, even more so when they weren't even mentioned.

Anyway thanks for all the work on them and I will try to make it at some point.

wenanwhere
    Free Member

Drac sent you an email with more details.

Should have probably mentioned that the relationship with the FC is currently good but they only allow us to build trails (in what is a working forest) on the basis that it will all be kept pretty low key.

cheers

Matt

Stumpi
    Free Member

Toons, Drac et al.
    A guided tour would be fantastic, I can already appreciate the quality but to link it all up seamlessly would be some ride I reckon. As long as I don't ever have to ride Pink Panther, I'm a little old in the tooth for that section 🙂

keep up the good work and don't worry, it's too remote forit to get swamped by all and sundry.

Be back up in a coupla weeks, hope to hook up then.

Dave

Drac

Cheers matt I'll pick that up when I move onto the pc. I appreciate the fc's stance having dealt with them in the past

Give us a shout dave I can sometimes make evenings and off in a couple of weeks time.It's remoteness helps a little but it doesn't take long to get to I'm sure your now appreciating how quiet our roads are, although getting bit busier now tourists are back.

toons
    Free Member

Matt, I if had a quid for every time I’d heard that story.

But when you've got local bikes shop doing guided tours and even bringing up distributors, imagine how people they speak to! Posting on a thread is bit pointless.

carbon337
    Free Member

toons,

Im with you there – one store in Newcastle had a Kona rep team up there the other week.

PS – Im a builder there also – dont think the "keep it quiet approach" will work long term. It's pupularity will go one of two ways – either up or down. I imagine the former and it will get busier as the sport becomes more popular.

Drac

Carbon I think that's the big contributor too the sport has really took off in recent years. Hardly use to see many MTBers anywhere around here just relatively small amount. Now you go to Alwinton or Thrunton and there's loads around the car parks. No idea where they disappear to in Alnwinton though as only see a few one thrails.

carbon337
    Free Member

the tea room at barrowburn maybe….

Drac

Hehe yeah maybe. We got there just after 5 on Sunday it was very busy still when we left just before 6.

Three_Fish
    Free Member

So, if I'm getting this right, there are a couple of blokes who have been involved long-term in the trail building at Thrunton and they've asked that people try to limit the amount of internet/social-networking exposure that the trails get. They're not saying "don't tell anybody!!", they're just asking folk to be a bit savvy with how/when the info is passed about on the interwebs. But this is too oppressive for some people, who also think that it doesn't matter because eventually the woods will be overrun anyway, so they might as well just have as many people as possible pile in now and overrun it before somebody else does.

GEDA
    Free Member

Callaly Castle and Macartney's Cave is one of my fav places to take barnen. Been going there since I was a nipper and my mum used to live at the bottom of the hill. The trail down from Hard Nab to the bottom of the fort was shagged from bikes last time I went though. Are the others a bit more sustainable? Will head up there in two weeks when I go home.

toons
    Free Member

Geda, it’s more the weather than bikes, quite a lot of Thrunton has suffered with the harsh winter & shed loads of rain 🙁

Ti_Tim
    Free Member

Only just seen this thread – I could be on for a ride next Tuesday evening – 7:15 at the top car park is it ?

GEDA
    Free Member

My dad was complaining he had not had enough rain for months.

toons
    Free Member

LoL, there was still snow in April!

This was taken 20/04/10, click the higher resolution photo and you can still see snow on the hills!

High rez

Read this from March

warton
    Free Member

Drac, theres a DH course just up from alwinton isn't there? just in the woods close to the campsite / lodges

toons
    Free Member

Yep, but you can only ride it on race weekends

GEDA
    Free Member

Not unusual to see snow on Cheviot at that time. He is a farmer so I expect he tells the truth. Do you live at Warton warton?

Drac

Drac, theres a DH course just up from alwinton isn't there? just in the woods close to the campsite / lodges

Yup but it's private and as toons says restricted to race and pratice days.

There was snow this month too but overall there has hardly been any rain at all, it really is very dry up there, even the marshes on windy ghyle have dried up. Cheviot still has big lumps of snow on it left over from January.

Drac

Three_Fish the group is bigger than a couple of mates and many of the people who have posted on here have ridden before the trails were built. We're then told don't talk about Thrunton as we don't want the trails advertised, no one had mentioned the trails until then. The trails have drawn in huge, well for huge for here, amount of bikers to Thrunton since they were built. Before that there was only a few bothered with it.

Three_Fish
    Free Member

We're then told don't talk about Thrunton as we don't want the trails advertised…

For crying out loud, man: nobody is telling anyone to not talk about it. Ian and Matt are just trying to get those who do enjoy the trails up there to be smart about how they talk about it. Why can you not make that distinction? If you don't respect the position that the trail builders find themselves in, then it is, of course, your prerogative to disregard what they're asking for.

Drac

Ooh touchy little fellow aren't you.

Like I said we never mentioned the trails upto the point a tail builder mentioned. Thrunton was well know anyway before they were built, it's that info that I've shared.

Three_Fish
    Free Member

Ooh touchy little fellow aren't you.

Like I said we never mentioned the trails upto the point a tail [sic] builder mentioned. Thrunton was well know anyway before they were built, it's that info that I've shared.

I'm not touchy, I'm just frustrated by your seemingly poor comprehension skills and difficulty to follow a narrative. And please don't try to patronise me – it's not productive and it you're really not very well qualified to attempt it. As I've said, and as you continue to misunderstand, nobody is saying DON'T talk about the trails. Get it? I suspect not…

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 242 total)

The topic ‘Newcastle upon tyne’ is closed to new replies.