Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Newcastle Nosh
  • bearnecessities

Can anyone recommend some good quality food places up there for din-dins; just for one and within waking distance of metro-centre preferably.

Would like man portions rather than a carrot carved into an ostritch shape and topped on a golf ball sized blob of celeriac mash.

Thank you in advance 😀

Drac

Can anyone recommend some good quality food places up there for din-dins; just for one and within waking distance of metro-centre preferably.

That’s bit limiting as there’s only really bog standard brewers fayre and fast food places around there.

And it’s in Gateshead. 😀

bearnecessities

Oh is it? Crap. NE11 9XF if that helps!

Change that to ‘happy to drive’ in that case, if parking available without getting stung 😀

honeybadgerx

Can you hop on the metro? Lots more choice in town.

boabym

The Skiff Inn, up by the Travelodge. I’ve had a few meals there and enjoyed them all. Its about 10 mins walk from the Metro.

bearnecessities

I didn’t realise there was a metro.

I know, I know….

Yes, I can jump on the metro 😳

Drac

Big Lamp Brewery.

Supposed to be very good.

http://biglampbrewers.co.uk

Drac

No you can’t get the Metro.

bearnecessities

Well this is going well!

I have a car, I can drive, I won’t be drinking. Anywhere within half an hour driving distance?! (biglamp looks the kind of thing, but would prefer healthier choices)

elma
    Free Member

You can get the train in from the metro centre and then the worlds your oyster!
    Try pan haggerty on queen streets, quayside it was lovely and big portions last gime I was there.

stox
    Free Member

Newcastle nosh …. Buy her a few jaeger bombs and a parmo – job done

Drac

I have a car, I can drive, I won’t be drinking. Anywhere within half an hour driving distance?! (biglamp looks the kind of thing, but would prefer healthier choices)

Healthy?

No sorry can’t help.

elma
    Free Member

Parmos are boro fare get your choice of food right 🙂

kevj
    Free Member

I can recommend the Ravensworth Arms just along the A1 in Kibblesworth. Nice pub, good ales and a very tasty meal last time I visited.

Edit, it’s only a five min drive if the A1 isn’t at a standstill.

stox
    Free Member

Parmos are boro fare get your choice of food right

Newcastle nights out are a treat for Boro girls 🙂

theotherjonv

30 mins from the metro centre, get down to Durham. Far nicer, among the university girls.

ninfan
    Free Member

Bellini in Rowlands Gill for a nice family italian

Yon Keelman and Big Lamp looks lovely!

lemonysam
    Free Member

From there it’s ten minutes into town on the train (not the metro) – trains are regular and run until 10.30 on the way home. It should only be about a tenner for a taxi too.

In the town centre, there are shit loads of places to eat. There’s The Broad Chare for fancy pub grub, Pan Haggerty’s or Blackfriars for modern english stuff, there’s Rasa for indian and lots of other places. We like Nudo, the Sausage Emporium and Lane 7 which are all smaller, relatively new places. Osaka is decent sushi but I didn’t think it was anything exceptional. I quite want to go to South Side Grill at the moment, might go there tomorrow. As a little place for brunch I quite like Quay Ingredient

A short metro ride from the station and you have Jesmond which is full of places to eat. Peace and Loaf is high up on our list at the mo and the persian place and Jam Jar have had some good reviews.

There’s lots of fish restaurants in Tynemouth and South Shields which get good reviews too and if you’re feeling adventurous you could go to Cal’s Own for pizza.

Or you could head the other way, Artisam in Corbridge is a great Chinese, Bistro En Glaze in Wylam is tasty and eclectic if you can get used to the strange decor and Bouchon Bistro in Hexham is excellent classic french style.

This is a good place to start looking:
    http://www.scranonthetyne.com/reviews/

bearnecessities

Thanks all, esp LS for taking the time to write all that – enough to keep me going for 5 days!

Thanks again 😀

swedishmatt
    Free Member

Best burgers in town in the metrocentren in handmade burger company next to the cinema. Ravensworth arms is a pretty good shout too.

Mackem

Greggs.

bajsyckel

Ikea café. Cheap, decent portions, easy walking distance. Otherwise get on the train into town, 2 min walk from station into chinatown and loads of choice. Or Sachins (Indian), just behind the station.

teethgrinder

In the Metrocentre – The Handmade Burger Company
    Outside – get a taxi to The Keelman – the Big Lamp pub at Newburn

Or get the train to Prudhoe and I’ll make you chilli.

jonba
    Free Member

You can get the bus or train or drive or cycle from the metro centre to the Toon. The one thing you can’t do is get the metro.

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/newcastle-upon-tyne-restaurant-recommendations

kevj
    Free Member

Mackem – Member
    Greggs.

Geordie dummy 😉

white101

When i was a lad nosh in newcastle was a bonus, a bit of outside top action was as much as i managed most weekends.
    As already noted the ravensworth is very nice but can be very slow, its at the bottom of our street ish and is always busy. Loads around the metrocentre if your not fussy.

swedishmatt
    Free Member

Bajscykel swedish in ncl?

ninfan
    Free Member

If you really want to push the boat out – there’s a Taybarns just up the road by the Scotswood bridge 😆

lucien

There’s me thinking it was all chips, pies are barns ooop north, and you’ve only gone a spoiled it with your talk of sushi, italian and Ikea

dr_death
    Free Member

What Lemonysam said…

Plus I’d also add 21, cafe Vivo, Bridge inn, electric east. All in the town centre. Train in, taxi home, job done.

When are you going to be there?

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘Newcastle Nosh’ is closed to new replies.