Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Newbury road route
  • tommo
    Free Member

Any Newbury roadies able to suggest a 50-70 mile loop that cuts through Newbury?
    A strava link to a ride would be perfect 🙂
    I’ll be in the bit of Newbury near the waitrose end of town, the road that is near donnington.
    Thanks!

anagallis_arvensis

Newbury, Crockham Heath, Kintbury, Froxfield, Chilton Foliant, Eastbury, Great Shefford, Farnborough, West Ilsey then East then Compton, Long Lane, Newbury.

Or

Newbury, Upper Bucklebury, Bradfield, Pangbourne,Streatley, Hamstead Norreys, Compton, east then West Isley, Catmore, Snelsmore, Donnington Newbury

brassneck

Not got any routes to hand, but head out west on the A4 (next to Waitrose!) and turn left around Kintbury – head up and over Combe Gibbett for a workout (3 routes over from that side (I’d go via Faccombe as the descent to the Hurstbourne road is great fun).. then follow the Bourne valley down to Whitchurch, Overton, back over the downs via Hannington, Kingsclere, across to Ashford Hill and back into Newbury via Greenham .. you might want to cut across the Burger ing / Halfors roundabout and head down the high street rather than fight your way down the A339 back to Waitrose.

Hope you have a map 🙂 – I’d offer to guide you but with the brother in hospital I’m just grabbing hours as and when I can, planning is out of the window for a few weeks. Plus you might be really fast 😀

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    anagallis_arvensis

Brassnecks route is a good one too. I dont head out that way much on my rides andcshould because its lovely down that way.

tommo
    Free Member

Thanks some good ideas there.
    I am a terrible map reader so I’m going through Strava now to find one that links all that together. I’ll stick it on my phone and pray the battery lasts to guide me round 🙂

beej

Very close to Brassneck route:
    http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/1056654079

You should be able to export as GPX.

mrblobby
    Free Member

If you want Strava, something like one of these…

https://www.strava.com/activities/458208484
    https://www.strava.com/activities/554364804

You could probably do something a lot more hilly and scenic though, that’s just a training loop.

tommo
    Free Member

Thank you! If anyone has Brassneck ride in Strava that’d be great, can’t seem to get your route into Strava from mapmyride (I’d screw it up big time if I tried to create a route based on it 🙂

tommo
    Free Member

Those rides look good mrblobby too. Cheers. Great roads your way, I had a rjde around Christmas time to Hungerford.

mrblobby
    Free Member

No problem, I could easily knock you up a gpx of Brassnecks route maybe with a twist or two depending on the sort of thing you like. Road biking really is pretty good around here.

beej

Ta-da!

https://www.strava.com/routes/4792714

Got the route builder working.

tommo
    Free Member

Briliant! Looks perfect.
    Thank you very much 🙂
    Looking forward to riding it.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Est. Moving Time 2:32:36

Would be quite impressive 🙂

tommo
    Free Member

Comes up as this for me:

Est. Moving Time 6:18:56

Strava knows me too well.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Ah, oh, I see, it’s done it based on my average pace 😳 😉

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Lots of goodness around Sydmonton, Echinswell, etc. Nuthanger Down is a grand climb/descent, too.

FWIW, getting your gnarmac on around the area is well worth it as well. Harrow Way is all doable, as are many of the linking tracks around the way.

brassneck

Nice one beej, now even I can’t get lost 🙂 (north of hannington and east of newbury are ‘Here be Dragons’ territory for me, I use a compass to head back west ;-))

A further alternative is to head up the Bourne valley from Hurstbourne instead, and throw in Conholt hill from Vernham Dean, Chute Causeway, the Bedwyns then tickle back along the Kennet valley just south of the A4 (Shalbourne, Ham, Inkpen, Hampstead Marshall, Enbourne) – Conholt is about 2 minutes in for me and really needs a bit more of a warm up than that.

weeksy

anagallis_arvensis – Member

Newbury, Crockham Heath, Kintbury, Froxfield, Chilton Foliant, Eastbury, Great Shefford, Farnborough, West Ilsey then East then Compton, Long Lane, Newbury.

Or

Newbury, Upper Bucklebury, Bradfield, Pangbourne,Streatley, Hamstead Norreys, Compton, east then West Isley, Catmore, Snelsmore, Donnington Newbury

That’s almost past my doorstep 🙂

mrblobby
    Free Member

Or you could head north for a spin round the Chilterns…

https://www.strava.com/activities/87036401

Loads of options!

tommo
    Free Member

Thanks all.
    Followed the route all the way except a detour to Boxford 🙂
    Had a brill ride. Quiet roads, lovely views.
    Will do that Chiltern ride next 🙂

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Newbury road route’ is closed to new replies.