Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Newbuild help
  • tuskaloosa
    Free Member

In the process of building a Bfe… having trouble deciding on a few bits

1) Brakes – am toying with the idea of the Hope Tech Evo X2 – any thoughts
    – I weigh abt 220 / 6’5″
    – need something that’s easy to maintain
    – riding mainly Surrey hills but plan to use the bike all over with a Alp’s trip next year

2)Drivetrain – leaning toward a 2×10 (11-36 & 24/36) was going to go with a 1×10 but thought it would never suit an Alp’s trip… I’m pretty crap when it comes to climbing

Look forward to any suggestions/comments
    thanks

mattjg
    Free Member

Build for where you ride most. Rent in the Alps maybe?

I ride SH too, Race X2s and I would build 1×10 if building now.

tuskaloosa
    Free Member

thanks matt… not a fan of renting did that in Whistler and while it was a blast didn’t really ever get used the bike… but think will build a 1×10 and then if and when I head over will swap the front for a double and bash

any opinions on the X2’s

ndthornton
    Free Member

X2s are superb
    Just upgraded from minis because I wanted the tech lever with reach and bite adjustment.
    Powerfull, modulated + sexy as hell

Make sure you get floating rotors to go with them

mattjg
    Free Member

I think the STW review had it spot on “all the brake most UK riders would ever need”, nd has it too. Mine are Race FWIW.

But I don’t know if they would be up to a fluid-boiling Alpine descent.

Good plan with your gearing, get one of those SS compatible chainrings and bung it on the middle of your triple. You’ll probably never go back. You won’t need more locally anyhooo.

tuskaloosa
    Free Member

nd – thnaks for tip on the rotors

matt – i’ll do some digging to see how they hold on long descents, but thanks for the advice and help

alfabus
    Free Member

shimano brakes FTW – choose your flavour based on budget, they are all good. Fit and forget.

I ride 2×10 (28,40) on my ‘do everything’ bike, sometimes feels like I want a smaller granny, but that is rare. Never felt like I need more at the top end except if I’m doing a road downhill (boring).

Dave

tuskaloosa
    Free Member

Dave – yeah I know what you mean on the smaller granny and on the top. I currently run a 44 x 32 x 22 and am never on the 44 if only to reset the annoying slipped gear shift and barely on the 22 unless it’s some ridiculous climb by which time I’ve spun out and lost the will to pedal any further! so i just push the bugger up (works for me)… so will go with the 1×10 for now seems simpler

thought I’d try the Hope’s and go British

mattjg
    Free Member

Several of my mates have Shimano brakes and all like them. Either is a good decision. I like Hope for their Britishness too and they are beautifully designed IMO.

As for doubles, the last geared build I did was a double, but I have been doing a bit of SS recently and you soon realise 9 or 10 gears is plenty for around here. (I switched my SS to 1×9 for a bit but found it boring so switched it back).

Anyway for Surrey Hills, I reckon 1xX is plenty. The steep climbs are not long and the long climbs are not steep.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Newbuild help’ is closed to new replies.