• This topic has 32 replies, 13 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by Drac.
Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Newborn babies' funny noises…
  • mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Rightho – I am sure someone can put me straight on this…

Our twins are 5 weeks old and generally (so far) very well behaved. When they cry it is generally because they want feeding or have wind etc and we are learning to understand their signals.

However, over the last few days they have started 'snuffling' and 'grunting' starting at about 6.30am. At this time they will be around due a feed, yet it isn't the screams we would expect.

Is it just their waking up and becoming more active/aware????

It is all very weird and very new!

geoffj

yes, and learning to make new sounds.

Stoner
    Free Member

piglets?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

yes, and learning to make new sounds.

But they only make the noises at this time of the day?….

piglets?

How very dare you.

yossarian
    Free Member

yes, the funny noises will continue and change and its no good anyone saying just ignore them because they're nothing to worry about because you won't and neither do any other parents.

in my experice 2.5 years later those noises will turn into 'MORNING DADDY!!!! I GET UP AND PLAY NOW!!!!! I HAVE WEETABIX!!!!

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Cheers – I will learn to embrace hearing their developing little noises and look forward to the day they are big enough to bring me Weetabix in bed 🙂

Drac

Yup they do start to snuffle and grunt when they want something usually because they're not in any hurry just yet wait too long and they screaming will start.

monkeychild
    Free Member

I have all this to look forward to in the next few weeks eek!!!!!

clubber
    Free Member

Babies make lots of noise even when asleep and make more as they learn them.

My boy woke us up at 3am making 'GRRRRR' noises when he was a few months old and had just discovered how to do it… only went on for about 2 hours… 🙂

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

It is fun monkeychild! I won't tell you the obvious things that everyone else will have undoubtedly told you – just go with the flow and love it all 🙂

steve-g
    Free Member

Our littlun did this, apparently it is them clearing their systems out of all the rubbish that got in there while they were in utero, it takes a while from birth til this starts cos they need to get their strength up first.

Another thing to watch when this starts is to make sure you give them breaks while they are feeding or they can't get enough air down and shortly after drinking they puke everywhere

woody2000

6.30am! Think yourself lucky – mine does it all bloody night, occasionally punctuated with farts, raspberries, banging his hands and legs on the cot/mattress, sneezing, coughing and singing (well, it sounds like singing anyway!)! None of it matters though, he can keep me up all night but when I see his little smiling face, I can't be p*ssed off for long. Glad to hear it's all going well Mike 🙂

Spankmonkey
    Free Member

my 5 month old has learnt to scream for fun! she even smiles after a good high pitch scream…. god help me, but at least she is having fun!!

yossarian
    Free Member

monkeychild – I will say 1 word to you that won't make any sense now, but will in a month's time:

meconium

😀

woody2000

To add to yosaarian's post:

…does not come out of one's nice rug very easily 🙂

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Our littlun did this, apparently it is them clearing their systems out of all the rubbish that got in there while they were in utero, it takes a while from birth til this starts cos they need to get their strength up first.

Interesting thought – it certainly sounds like it could be that!

Another thing to watch when this starts is to make sure you give them breaks while they are feeding or they can't get enough air down and shortly after drinking they puke everywhere

Yeah – started giving them breaks after the puking started. Started on 3 or 4 breaks but they start to lose interest. We have found that just one break halfway through is enough at the moment.

6.30am! Think yourself lucky

That is just the final wake-up of the night! Usually every 3 or 4 hours through the night, with the occasional every 2 hours! And all is going well thanks 🙂

Harry_the_Spider

You'll start getting the happy and unhappy sounds soon.

A list of my lad's first words in order.

Dad
    Door
    Ball
    Yes
    Hiya

I'm so proud.

Drac

Interesting thought – it certainly sounds like it could be that!

But it ain't at 5 weeks it'll be long gone they just grunt it's what they do.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

But it ain't at 5 weeks it'll be long gone they just grunt it's what they do.

They were 3 weeks early though so perhaps still catching up???

Drac

They were 3 weeks early though so perhaps still catching up???

Nah! Think about it.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Think about it? I haven't slept for 5 weeks, I have it all to do just p!ssing in a straight line at the moment.

Drac

Hahahaha! It gets easier don't worry.

yossarian
    Free Member

Hahahaha! It gets easier don't worry.

don't get his hopes up Drac 🙂

RS4KEV

monkeychild – Member

same here, 5 weeks (ish apparently 😯 )to go

mastiles_fanylion – Member
    Think about it? I haven't slept for 5 weeks, I have it all to do just p!ssing in a straight line at the moment.

the lack of sleep point is really scaring me now

yossarian
    Free Member

2 and a half years in, two little boys later…

what I wouldn't give to piss in a straight line…

sleep is like a forgotten dream…

RS4KEV – its really amazing just how little sleep you can get by on without actually dying – and you are about to find out just how little that is 🙂

Drac

Both my kids dropped their midnight feed at about 5 weeks and then started sleeping all night from 10 weeks. The 2 year old asks to go to bed most nights.

Harry_the_Spider

RS4KEV,

For the first couple of weeks…
    you will sleep in 20 minute bursts
    you will not shave
    you will not change your clothes
    you will not watch TV
    you will not talk about anything other than poo
    and you will not care

Can't be that bad… our second is due in 10 weeks.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

the lack of sleep point is really scaring me now

Seriously, you will manage. We have two to tend to and it is achievable. I am getting by on so much less sleep than I could ever imagine, but I am coping. My wife is being an absolute superstar and hasn't wavered at all in the slightest even though historically she has always been the one out of the two of us that needs more sleep.

I AM looking forward to the possibility of full nights' sleep though sometime soon 🙂

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

For the first couple of weeks…
    you will sleep in 20 minute bursts
    WHEN I CAN…
    you will not shave
    I AM TRYING FOR A BEARD RIGHT NOW
    you will not change your clothes
    I HAVE NO SELF RESPECT ANYMORE
    you will not watch TV
    WE HAVE ALSO CANCELLED OUR LOVEFILM SUBSCRIPTION
    you will not talk about anything other than poo
    WE ALSO TALK ABOUT SICK
    and you will not care
    NOT ONE JOT

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

The 2 year old asks to go to bed most nights.

Are you THAT boring? 😉

Drac

Are you THAT boring?
    Yes. 😳

Can't be that bad… our second is due in 10 weeks.

Well I suffered for none of them on that list.

rogerthecat
    Free Member

😆 Whooo hooo.
    This thread has made me howl with laughter.
    Mine are now 10 and 12, and just so you don't get all optimistic:

1. Still sleep deprived – they are the bastard children of an insomniac farmer (up at 6am every day, bright as a chuffin lark!)
    2. Still regularly unshaven – cannot get to the bloody bathroom
    3. Still wearing tatty clothes – their school uniforms take precedence
    4. Don't watch TV as I cannot get near it, although I am now word perfect on Dr Who, Star Wars, Mars Attacks, Horrible Histories
    5. Poo conversations have morphed into puberty, wet dreams and we are starting on personal hygeine.
    6. Still don't care because they are the best things life has to offer – if loved they will return it tenfold (caveat: between 13-18 this may be suspended)

They are fantastic things. When babies I sat for hours watching them sleep – enjoy!

Drac

2. Still regularly unshaven – cannot get to the bloody bathroom

Given I have 2 girls I reckon in about 7 years time I'll be building an extension.

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘Newborn babies' funny noises…’ is closed to new replies.