Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • newbie19mm internal rim width and wide tyres question
  • downthemiddle
    Free Member

I am stuck until budget allows with 19mm internal rim width wheels. I also have some fairly big volume tyres that I want to use.
    I understand that the wide rim/narrow tyre combo makes the tyre a bit more unstable but I can manage with that, only issue is as the Eskar etc style tyre is that it relies on really big side knobs, and if I mount it up on a narrow rim will it round the profile too much and drag those side knobs even further round the carcass ?

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

No, you’ll be fine. A 23mm rim is effectively only 2mm wider at either side, that will have a marginal effect on how far round your side knobs will go. My ht and fs both have 19mm rims on them, and the only issue I’ve ever had was burping non ust maxis tyres that I ran tubeless. Was my own fault as I hadn’t enough pressure in the tyres and a non ust tyre will never be as good a mount as the ust version.

downthemiddle
    Free Member

So far I dont have any issues with the way it seats or burps air, and it actually seems pretty stable, just wondered if the rounded profile keeps those all important side knobs which are the difference sometimes between keeping your teeth or not, would become a bit in the wrong place !

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

The topic ‘newbie19mm internal rim width and wide tyres question’ is closed to new replies.