Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Newbie XM819 UST/ Tubeless Q?
  • theboatman
    Free Member

I have just picked up some XM819 rimmed wheels from the classifieds (cheers Kevin1911!). They have the UST valve bits, so my queries are;

1 – if I'm using UST tyres do I need to use sealant, if so which one?
    2 – could I use none UST with a sealant?
    3 – do I need any rim strip things?

I know tubeless queries are done to death on here, so cheers for your patience and thanks in advance!

snaps
    Free Member

1. No but you will loose the puncture protection that sealant offers
    2. Yes but its a bit hit or miss with certain tyres
    3. No

theboatman
    Free Member

Cheers snaps, much appreciated! Any difference with the sealants?

mboy
    Free Member

1. No, but it's advisable. Stan's Solution is the best IMO
    2. Yes, as long as the bead is strong enough, and they're on the "recommended list"
    3. Not for UST, and many non UST tyres. For some non-UST tyres you might need a Stans Olympic rimstrip to help make a better seal on the tyre bead.

snaps
    Free Member

Yes, two basic types – Glycol based like Slime or latex based like Stans.
    Glycol doesn't dry out easily but doesn't seal larger holes as well as latex based but latex based will require topping up every 3 months or so as it dries out.
    Have a look at this http://www.notubes.com/moviedemo.php

theboatman
    Free Member

That's a fairly convincing video! Spot of stan's it will be then. Does this 'recommended list' exist, or do I need to trawl all the tubeless threads?

mboy
    Free Member

Bit of a trawl to be fair…

Some people don't recommend Kenda for example, but others, like me, have had no problems sealing a Kenda.

Though steer clear of Panaracer tyres unless they're proper UST, they will not seal for love nor money!

snaps
    Free Member

You could try here http://www.mtbbritain.co.uk/forum/index.php?showforum=21
    But I only use Maxxis USTs & Michelin tubeless ready & have zero problems.

br
    Free Member

I've not had any problem putting a new tyre (UST, TLR or normal) onto 819's – can't see why you'd need a Stans rim-strip?

theboatman
    Free Member

Thought I'd have to, but I'll have ago with my current kenda's first. Popped my shoulder out yesterday, so I've got a few days fettling ahead 😕 thanks again!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Newbie XM819 UST/ Tubeless Q?’ is closed to new replies.