Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Newbie wheel building question
  • lipseal
    Free Member

Going to have a go at my first wheel build, been on the usual spoke calculators and they come out at 300mm( 29er rim with DMR SS hub). I assume that size is with a 12mm nipple but been looking at spoke that are supplied with a 14mm nipple so do I knock off 2mm and get the 298 spokes?

More questions probably to follow once I get my spokes.

coatesy
    Free Member

Yes, most seem to assume 12mm use, so knock 2mm off the length of spokes for a 14mm. If you’re on DT’s calculator then you can alter the nipple size before calculating.

lipseal
    Free Member

Thanks 🙂

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    lipseal
    Free Member

Next question, does the head of the spoke have to be flush with the hub flange?

coatesy
    Free Member

Not sure exactly what you’re asking there.When you insert the spoke through the flange, and then fit it into the rim, you press the spoke against the flange and the head will then sit pretty much flush with the flange.Any help?

lipseal
    Free Member

I bought some 300mm X 2.3mm, the hub is ment to take up to a 2.6mm spoke. now when i fit the spoke it won’t fit flush with the flange and I have to force the spoke so that it sits straight. What
    I’m asking is can I still use them or do I need 2mm diameter spokes?

Ishouldbeworking
    Free Member

Not that it matters much probably, but according to Roger Mussons book only knock 1mm off the spoke length when using 14mm nipples instead of 12mm.

There is a good photo of the nipples sectioned showing that there isn’t 2mm extra thread in a 14mm nipple.

TheGMan
    Free Member

I did exactly the same build, used 298 spokes but due to the flanges being different diamiters, on the front I think.
    The wheel was quite a way out of dish. (it did come back but took a bit of messing about)
    So if I did it again I would work out spoke length for the smaller flange.
    You should have all 298 spokes apart fron 16 which should be a different length due to different flange sizes.

Hope that’s come accross ok.

lipseal
    Free Member

TheGMan the flanges are both the same size? FLANGES and the RIM

TheGMan
    Free Member

Mine must be older hubs, just checked they are different.

They should go together well, the rear I built which was all equal was not far off true and round straight away.

So yours should go together fine.

I was told a couple of mm either way doesn’t matter for spoke length.

Have fun.

lipseal
    Free Member

Has anyone use a torque wrench for setting spoke tension?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Newbie wheel building question’ is closed to new replies.