Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Newbie tyre question – need a good all rounder
  • legolam
    Free Member

Well, I’ve been lurking for a while, but I thought I’d break cover and ask you lovely people at STW for some advice.

I’m a relative newbie to this MTB malarkey, having bought a Trek 6300 WSD last summer. A friend has introduced me to the delights of proper mountain biking, and it’s ace!

However, I’m coming to the conclusion that the Bontrager Jones XR 2.25 tyres that came as standard are a little bit rubbish. I’ve really struggled on the trails this winter, especially in the mud, and had one spectacular off because the tyres just went from under me.

A lot of my riding is with friends with hybrid bikes, so we do a fair bit of canal tow path or flat fire road cycling. However, I also need my tyres to be able to get me down a reasonably technical red route with some confidence. I’d like them to be on my bike year round, cos I just don’t have the patience to be changing them every few seasons. Ideally they would be reasonably fast rolling, but I don’t need them to deal with really gloopy mud. I’m not gonna be entering any races, I just want to feel confident on the technical stuff without compromising my speed on the smooth stuff too much. I don’t mind spending a bit, so long as it’s on the right tyres!

A few suggestions from friends so far:
    Nobby Nic front/Racing Ralph back
    Panaracer Fire XC Pro
    Panaracer Rampage SC

Any thoughts?

curlie467
    Free Member

A lot of people suggest the Panaracer fire xc pro, my brother swears by them.
    I on the other hand have some WTB raijin race and absolutely love them, light and very cheap on CRC at the moment.

Clobber
    Free Member

The stock tyres on the Trek 6′ series bikes really put me off Bontrager tyres and it was a long time before I got talked into some Mud-x’s which, despite their name, are great all round tyres.

However, there is nothing wrong with the fire xc pro’s for the type of riding you are describing, as long as you can get them cheap enough

However if you not in deep mud or wet roots then Rocket Rons are fast and are a good do everything (else) tyre for me.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    lunge

I like Maxxis Minions or ADvantages for all round riding.

For cheap, have a look at Conti Vericals, they can be had for £15 each and whilst not brilliant at anything and Ok for most things.

soobalias
    Free Member

there nothing wrong with your tyres at all.

tyres disappearing under you can be expected in the winter, if you cant get any traction or the mud is clogging the frame maybe you ‘need’ to change.

treat yourself to a days tuition (group session with jedi ~ £75) realise that you dont need better forks, newer improved rubber, nicer gloves…….and save yourself from upgradeitis.

legolam
    Free Member

But upgradeitis is the best bit about cycling!!

I take your point about a skills coaching day, and am definitely going to do this when I get a chance. I know that I’m not the most confident on the slippy steep stuff, and would love to be able to keep up with my mates.

soobalias
    Free Member

coaching first.

then you can enjoy your upgradeitis and never be disappointed with your purchases.

ampthill

I think skills are important

but some tyres are awful in mud…..

I have High Rollers on all the time but they maybe a bit draggey for your use

nicko74

Bonty Jones XR? If I were anywhere local, I’d take ’em off your hands – I love my Jones ACXs but the sidewalls don’t last that well.

Personally I used Fire XC Pros for a few years, but only realised once I ditched them how much they didn’t really work for me. Cambers that I routinely washed out on with the XC Pros were suddenly rideable with Jones ACXs.

legolam
    Free Member

So what are the differences between the setups in the OP?

Which is the best for fast rolling resistance, and which is better for mud?

Clobber
    Free Member

Ignore soobalias those tyres are horrid…

Nicko, acx’s are in a whole different league to xr’s don’t bother

Clobber
    Free Member

I should add that I think coaching is the best idea but get rid of the xr’s first…

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

To the OP
    Used the Fire XC for years – its a pretty good allround tyre if you are not doing technical or very muddy stuff.
    The Cinder is not much more than a bigger chunkier version of the Fire but is another good allrounder – better in mud and technical stuff than the Fire
    The Rampage is very good, very fast rolling and light but the lugs are not as deep as the Cinder. If you go for a Rampage DO NOT go for the SC which is the sticky compound – go for the standard ones
    The Rampages and Cinders come up pretty big for their size, so check your rim width

stumpy01

I’d go for Fire XC’s. Decent enough all rounder & last well if you are gonna be doing the odd canal tow path jaunt.

They do clog in thick mud, but you’ve mentioned that won’t be an issue.

Specialized Captain & Purgatory tyres are also pretty good all rounders. My bike came with Purgatory on the front and a Captain on the back. It seems a good combination, that I’ve stuck with for the moment.

brassneck

Bonty Mud X are cheap, tubeless ready and as good an all rounder you’ll find – I swap to something a bit faster and fatter over spring/summer/autumn but have any hope of riding most hills around here in winter you need something a bit mud specific.

legolam
    Free Member

Thanks for all the help so far!

I guess I’m looking for the holy grail of tyre as I do a bit of everything – from tarmac riding to trying to stay upright in muddy Chopwell (and failing!).

At the moment, I’m tempted by something that is better in mud and accept compromise on the road, but I suspect that my priorities will change if/when the weather gets better.

Clobber
    Free Member

THe Mud-x roll surprisingly well on the road…

topgunsteve
    Free Member

Have been riding P’racer Cinder 2.2s since April, no problem with them, couldn’t arsed with tyre swappinge etc so was advised to go for the cinders, very pleased with them, no off’s yet, well not that can be put down to poor tyre choice!

nicko74

Nicko, acx’s are in a whole different league to xr’s don’t bother

Ah boooo… What’s the difference between them?

Clobber
    Free Member

Don’t know the technical differences but the xr just didn’t grip anything particularly well and didn’t roll well on any surface either… ACX’s are like summer versions of the mud-x’s.

legolam
    Free Member

Where do the Nobby Nics and Racing Ralphs fit into all of this then?

mboy
    Free Member

Jones XR’s are great tyres on a variety of surfaces in the spring/summer, despite what anyone else might say. I swear by them in the summer! But I will agree, they’re crap in the mud…

In my opinion, there is no holy Grail perfect all year round tyre. Some tyres come close, but will be compromised by say slow rolling, or too fast wearing, or too wide for mud or too narrow for summer hardpack. 2 sets or tyres, one for autumn/winter and the other for spring/summer is the best way to go in the UK…

timc
    Free Member

Ive had pretty much all mentioned above…

Mud x are pretty much the best 12 month, all rounder, you cant go wrong really for general riding!

Nobby Nics I also have, better in the dryer months IMO, Racing Ralphs, are essentialy a bone dry summer / race tyre!

£40 for a pair of Mud X, you wont regret it

ratherbeintobago

+1 for XC Pros.

Andy

connieboy
    Free Member

Hi legolam
    I am in the same situation as you, I have a trek ticket with Bontrager 2,25 on, been on a few red routes but went to sherwood at the weekend conditions were muddy and my back wheel was forever sliding out lucky my reactions were quick and i managed to get a foot down to steady myself, the stock tyres are fine for my local routes, gravel paths but once i hit muddy singletrack its a no no, but i use my bike to comute from time to time so need a good rolling tyre,I have read good reviews about Maxxis ardents, so I’m about to post asking for any info.so keep your eyes peeled
    Cheers
    Con

timc
    Free Member

you will have the same problems in mud with ardents

palmer77
    Free Member

I got a pair of WTB Prowler SS 2.3 and they seem really good both on and off road. Bargain too for the old suck at CRC at just under rennet each

cosmickev
    Free Member

What about Smart Sams? They’re advertised as an all-rounder – but is that just marketing drivel?

cosmickev
    Free Member

Meant to say I’m in the same boat as OP, having the choice of what to put on my Inbred as I order it. Towpaths, trail centre, Cannock Chase, etc so hoping to engage some mud at some point but maybe not serious mud. I’m going rigid so looking at fatter tyres, 2.25 or 2.4 and have a wide choice of Schwalbe: Nics, Alberts, Rons, Ralphs, Sams. After reading a few threads, thought of asking if I can do the Ron front/Ralph rear thingy…any advice helpful, thanks!

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Newbie tyre question – need a good all rounder’ is closed to new replies.