• This topic has 8 replies, 5 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by kcal.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Newbie singlespeeder
  • johndoh
    Free Member

After an age of not riding (too many commitments to spend entire days riding, working too late too much to do much on evening and preferring the gym when I do have time) I have finally got back on a bike – bought myself a second-hand Charge Plug and I love it! Not tried much more than local cycle paths to get to and from work but what a revelation – the gearing just seems to work so after a couple of hard strokes I am up to speed and cruising along.

Can’t wait till I can get on it again already!

cokie

Yup, there’s something strangely satisfying about singlespeed (& rigid) bikes. I think it’s the silence and simplicity. I love my Stooge (singlespeed and rigid). I’ve been grabbing it more despite the weather being so nice and having N+lots to pick from.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Re single speeded my el-mariachi last night. After a year on the geared fat bike suddenly halving the rotating weight and removing gears feels very weird.

Unsurprisingly it’s a lack of leg speed holding me back rather than anything else, gurning up hills at 60rpm is the easy bit, it’s singletrack at 120rpm that I struggle with!

johndoh
    Free Member

Re. the silence – that is one of the things I love about it. I need to have a fettle though as there is some sound suggesting the chain isn’t right for the chainring (worn or wrong size perhaps?) but other than that it’s great – and for less £££s than a half decent pair of cycling shorts!

Next stop is a belt-driven Butnitz… 🙂

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Silence?

None of you use a hope hub clearly!

otsdr
    Free Member

…or have a huge chainring that is a bit offset and so you can’t tension the chain properly :(.

cokie

I do! I just pack it with grease. Tends to silence it for a good while. I also find that I’m freewheeling less on the singlspeed.

johndoh
    Free Member

Freewheel? I am tempted to try it out on the fixed wheel 🙂

…or have a huge chainring that is a bit offset and so you can’t tension the chain properly

Yeah I think it might need fettling a bit – I thought the chain was too slack when I got it but now I have tensioned it a bit it is making the noise (it might have been doing it before but I didn’t ride it much before tweaking it).

Time for some spannering.

kcal

still love it years after getting a set of forks as a prize through STW and ending with a bike to match … the feeling of just going at a regulated pace – or honking up short climbs – keeps me smiling. sure there are bits where it’s not the right bike, but steel frame, carbon forks and 32:16 is great IMO..

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Newbie singlespeeder’ is closed to new replies.