Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)
  • Newbie roady advice – Kona Zing 2012 for £500. Any good?
  • RopeyReignRider
    Free Member

Looks like a bargain from what little I know and better specced than the stock Giant Defy for £500?

sicklilpuppy
    Free Member

I was looking at that, but got the moser speed sora from wiggle instead, as I thought the spec was a little better. Only had it a week but no complaints so far.

RopeyReignRider
    Free Member

Yeah that looks good too. I must admit I do like the looks of the Kona.

Anyone else?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    33tango

Saw that as well but i always think that disc brakes are becoming more and more common on road bikes, so perhaps you’d be buying into obsolete equipment?

JoB
    Free Member

33tango – Member
    Saw that as well but i always think that disc brakes are becoming more and more common on road bikes, so perhaps you’d be buying into obsolete equipment?

no they’re not, and you’re not. really

33tango

Are you sure? 2014/15 will bring road disc brakes to the masses. You can bet the farm on that!

JoB
    Free Member

yeah, i’m sure, there’s no doubt that 2014/15 will bring some models of some road bikes with discs, but the vast vast majority will still use rim brakes, and there’s about 100 years of back catalogue that will still need upgrades and spares

anagallis_arvensis

If it fits it’ll be fine, the Giant Defy is a good bike though

33tango

yeah, i’m sure, there’s no doubt that 2014/15 will bring some models of some road bikes with discs, but the vast vast majority will still use rim brakes, and there’s about 100 years of back catalogue that will still need upgrades and spares

Like I said, that tech is on its way out . its up to him if he wants to buy into it.

mudshark
    Free Member

The freebie mag ‘Sport’ I picked up in London today recommended the Defy 5 – must be good!

HTTP404
    Free Member

The UCI is yet to give the nod to disc brakes for road.
    So could be a little while yet.
    I’m also wondering the potential for serious injury in road race pile-ups with disc brakes.

I saw that Kona Zing – I like it. It’s a good deal… if you’re in London there’s one on Gumtree – much cheapness.

RopeyReignRider
    Free Member

Um, cheers chaps.

The defy gets good reviews but the spec of the Kona and the other one linked to above look hard to beat!

Why are there no CRC or wiggle discount codes at the moment?!? I usually get them every month at least!

RopeyReignRider
    Free Member

Http404 – thanks but I’m oop norf.

Are the fulcrum wheels on the wiggle bike better than the Shimano ones on the Kona ?

eshershore
    Free Member

disc brakes on road bikes?

avoid cable discs 🙁

speaking from painful experience

wait for hydraulic discs 😉

they are coming, but currently high spec. like SRAM RED 22 and Shimano Ultegra

HTTP404
    Free Member

The fulcrums are slightly better than the shimanos.
    Fulcrums have a “nice” loud freewheel – maybe not to everybody’s liking. Personally, I’d have these over the Shimano. I think they use cartridge bearings and all Shimano’s are cup / cone.
    A Selle Italia Ponza is not a bad saddle on the Moser.
    The FSA Omega chainset on the Moser uses FSA’s unique sized bottom bracket which can be pricey – so use, replace and keep the chainrings for spare when the BB becomes worn.
    Better tyres on the Kona – but more own brand finishing kit.
    Kona use cheaper Tektro calipers.
    Moser have Sora calipers.
    The Moser is finished in FSA kit which would be more my preference.

TiRed

Geometry of the Defy is a little more Racey, but you will struggle to notice. If the kona fits, it will be a fine bike. The Defy has a better frame and nicer geometry though. Geometry trumps components any day of the week.

RopeyReignRider
    Free Member

Thanks http404 and TiRed

I am a little wary of buying over the Internet as it’ll be my first road bike. Hopefully CRC and Wiggle have a decent wrong size returns policy :-/

So it looks like the Moser has the edge then …?

RopeyReignRider
    Free Member

Moser sold out since I posted up 🙁

HTTP404
    Free Member

I still see it in stock…?

Defys always look good.
    Frame looks nice and upgradeable – if that is your intention.
    But the stock wheels are pretty heavy.
    It runs a groupset down (2300).
    Its 8 speed. And the Defy 5 has an alloy fork.
    For me, the spec is far too compromised. Even if you went up a model the spec is nowhere near either the Zing or Moser.

RopeyReignRider
    Free Member

Hmm looks like a temporary website wobble!

So… If I ignore the Giant do I go for the best spec or the prettiest bike?! It shouldn’t come to this really .. 🙂

sicklilpuppy
    Free Member

I went with the moser because it has the 2013 spec shimano kit, rather than the 2012 ( shifters behind the lever, rather than at the side). Also wiggle asked for my height snd inside leg to make sure the size I orfered was correct. The bike came almost perfectly set up, just a couple of tweeks to achieve a perfect fit.
    As far as im aware both suppliers have a straightforward returns
    A couple of things about the moser, the 59cm weighs 9.5kg with s/star nano pedals on( I’m an mtb’r and daren’t use spd’s on the road), the top tube is a flattened triangular shape, and the down tube is more rectangular. Tube aesthetics might not be to everyones taste.
    Decathlon slso offer a couple of similar equipped bikes for less money.
    Whichever you choose hope you enjoy using it.

RopeyReignRider
    Free Member

Thanks sicklilpuppy, that’s helpful.

Yes, I’m debating about wether to give spd’s another go after years of flats on the mountain bike..

TiRed

How tall are you. The Zing is only available in a 49, 56 or a 59. The 56 would be a medium/large in Giant Defy sizing, the 49 is an xs. For the 56 to fit, you would need to be 5’11” to about 6’2″. I’m 179 cm or 5’10.5″ and have a 56cm Kona that is really a little too big and I should have a 54. I ride a medium Defy that is a perfect fit. Hope that helps.

Note, sizing assumes normal male proportions – as tall as your armspan. If you have overly long arms and legs, size one down.

anagallis_arvensis

Being brutally honest if you are a newbie and not sure about spd’s the spec isnt going to make a blind bit of differece. Go to a good roadie shop and get measured up properly even if the spec isnt as good and its more expensive you’ll enjoy a bike that fits more.

RopeyReignRider
    Free Member

I’m 6’2″ with a 33″ inside leg so was thinking of a 59 ish cm frame.

Fair point about not noticing the differences much!

TiRed

To be honest, you are probably between sizes. I’d go 56 and then choose a stem to suit. There is no magic in fitting a road bike. Saddle setback and reach are the most important. Stems can be easily changed and spacers added and taken away. Before compact and semi-compact frames, bike frames came in many sizes to suit standover, and sqapping quill stems was always hard work. Bigger frames move the weight back and have sharper steering due to the shorter stem. Smaller frames put more weight over the front wheel and feel more stable. Lower handlebar height is possible with the smaller frame, but you aren’t a pro (yet) so this point is moot 😉

sicklilpuppy
    Free Member

Im 6’1″ with 33″ inside leg, and 59cm frame is fine for me.

RopeyReignRider
    Free Member

Thanks TiRed et al

Both the Kona and the Moser have me reaching for my debit card! If only the moser had the looks of the Kona 🙂

RopeyReignRider
    Free Member

Thanks TiRed et al

Both the Kona and the Moser have me reaching for my debit card! If only the moser had the looks of the Kona 🙂

molgrips
    Free Member

I have a Kona Zing deluxe from 2007. Completely different bike, but it’s ace. Join me… 🙂

nickc

Kona road bikes are shit.

Not just bad, but really really turd eatingly bad. Just don’t

magowen100
    Free Member

Can you qualify that kona road bikes are shit comment? I have a Haole and it’s great; stable, comfortable though a little weighty.

darryl1983
    Free Member

http://www.winstanleysbikes.co.uk/product/46022/Eddy_Merckx_AMX1_Tiagra_2012_Bike

I was interested in the kona too, ended up going for an eddy merckx instead. £600, with 10 speed tiagra and shimano rs10 wheel.

Sizing is odd on these I’m 6′ 2″ and the 51cm is perfect, generally I was recommended 58cm when being sized up on other brands.

molgrips
    Free Member

Why are they so shit?

nickc

As road bikes they have the same weight as a black hole. And the same time/distance warping properties you spend hours on one and you find out you’ve gone no distance. Not only do they weigh the same as a bus the frames are dead, they crash and lurch. TT s are stupidly short and to compensate the one I rode had a massive stem ( even by roadie standards it was titanically massive). As a comedy aside the cables were nor too short, when you turned left the rear brake came on, and when you went right if changed down the small ring.

There are great bikes made by Kona, the road bikes are not amongst them

ian martin
    Free Member

I bought the Kona last week and I find the 56 to be a good fit (I’m 5’11”, 32″ inside leg).
    The bike looks nice n the flesh and rides very well, not as quick as my old Planet-X SL Team but feels stiffer, better out the saddle and more stable down hill. Overal I’m very happy with it.

molgrips
    Free Member

Nickc may have had a bad experience, however take that with a pinch of salt. Mine’s lovely, and the frame’s not even made by Kona 🙂

organdonor
    Free Member

Interested in this. That Kona does look very nice. I’ve seen THIS.
    My first hardtail was a Merlin Malt4 and I still love it. Are their road bikes as/any good?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Best advice I’ve seen so far is:

If your still wondering about spec and SPD’s go to a good shop.

Having someone who knows what your after, can size you up on a few different bikes and sort out frame size/stem size with you and maybe do some of the swaps in the shop for you (my LBS not in the UK do this), you will probably get some money off some shoes and pedals if you want to go that way.

I use normal mtb shoes and pedals (CB Candies) on my road bike fine. There is a short leaning curve at traffic lights but the benefits are there.

drewd

Does the Kona have the Sora shifters with the thumb levers that can only be operated from the hoods? I am also interested in it, but that would be a deal breaker for me.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)

The topic ‘Newbie roady advice – Kona Zing 2012 for £500. Any good?’ is closed to new replies.