• This topic has 11 replies, 6 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by Esme.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Newbie Oldtimer – advice please…
  • ultrarunner
    Free Member

Hi all!

I’m after some advice on a bike (oh no, not another one…)

So, background – I’m 42, and an ultrarunner. I’ve just decided to stop racing for a while (maybe permanently, who knows) because I feel like I’m missing out on the chance to do other things due to being focused on training/racing. So I want to bike, hike, climb etc etc.
    I used to be a roadie – have been on and off since I was a teenager, and still have a nice Giant road bike. I had a couple of years of mountain biking around my mid 20s (I worked at Terry Wright Cycles at the time and could get some nice discounts) – I started with a Specialized Hardrock, and soon moved up to a GT i-Drive XCR3000 (I think), unfortunately I sold them both!
    A couple of years ago one of my then neighbours persuaded me back into mountain biking. To cut a (very) long story short the bike I ended up with from Wiggle wasn’t the one I ordered (and took 4 weeks to arrive) – supposedly it was an upgrade, but after a couple of rides I knew it wasn’t for me…but had to persevere.
    So, my current MTB is a Ridgeback 29er with Deore level kit. I hate it, mostly because it’s so damn big – I definitely don’t want another 29er! I’m only 5’7″ tall, 29″ inside leg if I stretch, and this thing is like a barge, and so high up I get a nosebleed from the lack of oxygen.
    Now I’m stopping running (well, racing anyway), I have some spare monthly cash that was being spent on coaching – let’s say the budget is around £45 max.

My main decision is full sus or hardtail. From memory the GT full sus from years ago was so much easier to ride than the hardtail that preceded it. However I understand that with my budget (around £1200 ish purchase price spread over 3 years) the spec level on a full sus is going to be a lot lower than the same priced hardtail.
    My riding is going to be mostly in the Peak District. I’m looking for something that will enable me to do the cycling equivalent of my running races, so 30 – 50mi of bridleways and tracks. I have no intention of “bombing” downhills (‘cos I’m a coward) and have no idea what a “manual” is (other than the book that comes with electrical equipment, that as a bloke I’m legally bound to ignore). Issue 98 of the magazine…pictures on P15 or P66 – that’s my kind of riding.

Right, anyone who hasn’t nodded off? These are the bikes I’ve spotted that look good (important), seem to have the right level of kit (also important), and are in budget (very important). Can anyone advise definite YES or NO to any of these?
    GT Helion Comp or Elite
    Genesis Latitude 20
    Giant Anthem 3
    Giant Talon 0
    Scott Spark 760

All are 650b wheel size, can’t seem to find much these days in the old 26″, and, as above, there’s no way I want a 29er.

All help gratefully received, sorry for the small novel!

Simon

Trimix
    Free Member

My missus has just bought a Scott Spark in 27 inch flavour.

I rode it and it was light, fast and confidence inspiring. Bloody good value for money and brought a smile to my face.

I can recommend it.

ThePinkster

Before buying can you find anywhere that will let you at least sit on any on your short list?

As someone who worked in a bike shop I’m sure you’re aware that different manufacturers will fit differently so it is probably worth trying a few for size first.

There are very few bad bikes out there these days but any that don’t fit right will feel wrong.

ultrarunner
    Free Member

Thanks both – for making it to the end of my post let alone the advice!

Pinkster – I’ve had a look around, and it seems I can view odd ones off the list, at odd shops…meaning a fair bit of driving in an attempt to see even a couple. I also have a bit of an issue with people who view things in shops, take up the assistant’s time, then leave and buy things off the internet – so I don’t want to be that person 😉

ThePinkster

Fair enough, I know what you mean TBH. I suppose you could always buy it from one of the stores if the price is right.

ultrarunner
    Free Member

I guess my main question really is – Hardtail or Full Sus for the riding I want to do/experience & ability I have?

For longer rides you may prefer a lighter bike, which points towards a HT, on the other hand a FS would take some buzz out of the trails which could get wearisome after tens of miles.

FWIW I use a HT on trail centres, can do black runs and go up to about 40 miles total but with nothing like the capability of a longer travel FS bike. Part of the enjoyment for me is in the climbing, and a heavier bike would detract from that (having lightened up the bike and been pleased with the results).

I’d say hire a bike of each type for a ride on the sort of stuff you want to do, even if not the model you are considering it might(should?) be good enough to get the jist of the pros/cons of each.

ultrarunner
    Free Member

Okay, so I spent all morning driving around Sheffield/Chesterfield on Saturday.

I received an “interesting” variation in service – from completely ignored to wanting to help, ask questions, suggest answers etc.

I’d looked online first, and hoped to see all of the bikes above – unfortunately two of the shops had very little on display compared to what their website said was available – funnily enough, they were also the shops where I was basically ignored/left to walk around.

However, I did get the chance to look at a couple of them – the Giant Anthem 3 and the Scott Spark 760, as well as the Orange Clockwork 120S and some others.

The (very helpful) advice I got was split between whether to buy full sus or hardtail 🙂 2:1 in favour of full sus (easier for a novice, more forgiving, less tiring on LONG rides etc, compared to lighter weight, less maintenance etc) – so I’m still a bit stuck.

In my head I think I’ve narrowed it down a little – I think if I go full sus it’s either the Giant Anthem 3 or GT Helion Elite (managed to see the Comp) – but that Genesis Latitude 20 keeps niggling at me, saying “Buy ME”. Unfortunately, despite two shops showing that they stock it I was unable to view that bike…

So, any advice on the much narrower list? Let’s assume I’m going to ride Rushup Edge, onto PBW to Hayfield then loop back from there, or go to Sherwood Pines (Red route maximum I guess)…

Thanks!

iainc

I don’t ride in that area, but I have ridden a few of the bikes, and own a steel hardtail (Soul) and an short travel Full suss (Anthem sx). I’m a good bit older and less fit than you too !

Looking at the Anthem vs the Latitude for example – the Genesis is simpler, probably a little heavier, dependable and will be great fun. The Giant will be a bit more nimble and more forgiving on the bumpier stuff, whilst the Maestro suspension wont lose out on climbing ability. The Anthem will need a bit more maintenance, with a shock needing annual service as well as the fork, and pivots bearings needing done by shop every couple of years, depending on use.

ultrarunner
    Free Member

Thanks for that iainc

You’ve actually got my two basic ideas then – short travel full sus and steel hardtail. The Genesis is slightly lighter than the Anthem (about 1.5lb, so not a lot).

Do you tend to find you ride one more than the other? If so, why, what makes you choose?
    I guess my other thought is that my older hardtail is going to go to my girlfriend to get her into MTBing, so I don’t want to spend a lot of money, then end up continually riding away from her – we run separately, so I was kinda hoping that the biking could be shared…

iainc

Do you tend to find you ride one more than the other? If so, why, what makes you choose?

I used to have a 100mm steel HT (Rock Lobster) and a 5, and found that the 5 just didn’t get enough use ( I ride mainly west of Scotland natural stuff, the odd big day/trail centre stuff) so I punted them both about 2 yrs ago and got a Soul, with 120mm forks and a dropper. The Soul is great for all the stuff I do but this Spring I got a hankering for a fun, light FS for the bigger stuff. Settled on an Anthem SX as it is light, capable and good value. I reckon the Giant will be used most in summer and dryer stuff, the Soul when trails are wetter.

I have the Soul setup with Specialized Purgatory or Nobby Nics so very capable in all conditions, whereas I have a Racing Ralph on the back of the Anthem, which is fun and nimble, but crap in the wet. I do night rides all yr round and the HT will be the bike of choice on all the winter manky nights.

Having ridden them back to back at Glentress (red and blue) I’d say the Anthem is more fun on that type of stuff, whereass for natural xc, tight singletrack, steep ups and downs – the Soul probably wins, but only just.

On most stuff, in the dry, I’m faster on the Anthem though

Esme
    Free Member

A little tip:
    Expecting your partner to ride your old bike is the best way to put her off MTB.
    There are lots of excellent second-hand women’s bikes on the market, sometimes only ridden a few times.
    So, why not sell your old bike, and buy her something suitable?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Newbie Oldtimer – advice please…’ is closed to new replies.