Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • Newbie looking for trails and buddies in/around Manchester
  • nickg91
    Free Member

Good evening!

My name is Nick and I’m looking to get back in to the world of Mountain Biking. I was a keen rugby player but after suffering fairly horrendous knee dislocation in October I now need another hobby (The Mrs has banned me from rugby see). Running is too uncomfortable at the moment but cycling is fine.

I used to be well into mountain biking when I was younger but haven’t done it to any degree recently, using my bike only for the commute to work.

With that in mind I’m looking for some decent trails around the Manchester area. I’m still pretty fit and although my Trek hard tail is about 8 years oldi t’s been well looked after and has only seen road use recently, and it’s very light for an older bike.

Im thinking that XC would suit me best so does anyone know of any decent trails around Manchester, preferably ones I could ride to without having to take the car would be good. The transpennine trail is the only one I can seem to find.

Thanks for having me, and I hope to maybe meet some of you soon for a ride out somewhere.

Nick

IHN

Keep an eye out for the Peaks Pootle.

There’s plenty of folks on here from in and around God’s Own City. However, on no account have anything to do with NBT, MartynS, solarpowered or Binners; they are total nutjobs who are in no way approachable, friendly, accomodating, knowledgeable or funny and none of them seem to have ANY idea of where the bar is 😉

johnellison
    Free Member

If you don’t want to use the car, make use of the train – head North out of Victoria and into Calderdale (Todmorden/Hebden Bridge/Burnley area), or South out of Picadilly and head for the Peak District. Both areas are riddled with the natural. Arm yourself with the correct OS maps and go exploring.

The car will give you more options – the Yorkshire Dales are only 1 – 1.5 hours away, and the Lakes or North Wales 2 hours.

nickg91
    Free Member

Thanks guys, I’ll have a look at those options then. Is there a beginners/idiots group that ride regularly?

And I’ll keep an eye for those members to avoid lol

crezzy

Check out http://www.the woollybacks.co.uk

IHN

Is there a beginners/idiots group that ride regularly?

See above 🙂

boo01
    Free Member

In Manchester u can ride round Philips Park has a red and blue trails that are ok and if u go to
    http://www.bikemaps.co.uk/
    they have some good maps of the peaks
    and sell books for Calderdale area
    lot of mtb near Manchester!!

jekkyl

macclesfield forest is but a short train ride from picadilly and you cycle up there from mac station, it’s like 3 miles away. Lee quarry in the car. Llandegla isn’t that far but will take a car trip, likewise Cannock chase. Have fun.

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

a beginners/idiots group that ride regularly?

http://www.bogtrotters.org/rideslist.php

Biginners ride every Saturday, something a bit more demanding every Sunday and usually two night rides every week (one North and one South)

binners

Is there a beginners/idiots group that ride regularly?

Well I’ve been at it a while, but…. 😆

*waves*

You’re more than welcome to join us out around Ramsbottom and Rivi (email address in profile). We’re out at night every Wednesday or Ttursday and weekends. Its social pace and generally obeys a pub-centric format. If you don’t want to drive, then the train to Horwich is good for access to Rivi

buck53

In Manchester u can ride round Philips Park has a red and blue trails that are ok

That’s Philips Park, Prestwich not Philips Park, Clayton by the way. Trails are being built in Clayton though.

Which end of Manchester are you? There are some bits and Bob’s around but really you need to put distance between you and the city centre for anything decent.

paulx
    Free Member

Train or car out to Delemere Forest? Lots of good beginner stuff out there.

philbert31
    Free Member

Rivington is a decent place with plenty of trails

peachos
    Free Member

Check out: http://www.meetup.com/Manchester-Mountain-Bikers

Loads of rides on to suit all abilities (average 1 ride per day) & a top bunch of people.

Lots of stuff out the back end of Stockport, so either a quick drive or 30 minute blast on the road to hit the dirt.

hora
    Free Member

Keep a look out for NBT’s Peak Pootle’s. They’d be a good introduction.

Bogtrotters would be a great place to start-theres a cute Asian girl in that group. I’d love to go riding with ..them 8)

binners

Hora – You are aware this isn’t an internal monologue taking place exclusively in your head? You’ve just posted that on an internet forum?

Leroy

Train down to Marple is easy – 25 min journey from Piccadilly. Plenty of trails around Mellor, couple of miles over to New Mills, then Hayfield and “proper” Peak District trails. http://www.bikemaps.co.uk/ do maps, e.g. Mellor Magic, for Mellor and further east.

scaled
    Free Member

Where abouts are you based mate?

There’s usually a Wednesday/Thursday night ride from Marple. It’s a drive from Manc really but there’s a few of us that get out that way and or beer money etc lifts might be on offer 😉

hora
    Free Member

I’m secretly hoping she’s reading the posts, looks up pics of me and actually likes blokes who look like POB

matt1986
    Free Member

There is stuff round Stockport little bits in reddish vale, Bredbury and a 4 cross track in Denton. Depending where you are I’m out most weekends I’m an ex rugby player as well after tearing my cruicate

RDL-82
    Free Member

If your close to the centre of Manchester your more than welcome to come out with me (when the new bike finally arrives that is!) generally ride from around the Velodrome then through Clayton Vale (trails mentioned above are starting to look good) then up into Saddleworth or Peaks depending on time/mood.

Mail in profile if interested or reply here.

Rob

chakaping
    Free Member

Slight hijack: Is there a Rivi ride tomorrow eve?

scaled
    Free Member

I’m planning a little jaunt round Phillips park in prestwich tomorrow by the way.

I’m gonna call it something between lunchtime and TOIL. 😀

binners

You in the area chakaping? Night ride from Rammy tomorrow if you fancy joining us. 7.30 kick off. Rammy over towards Darwen/rivi way. Which reminds me: must put my lights on charge tonight

nickg91
    Free Member

Some of those things sound exactly what I’m after. Can’t wait to meet the Asian girl 😀

I’m based in Hulme so fairly close to city centre.

RDL – That’s sounds brill, when do you go/are you going next?

MATT – Sounds good, ACL is what ive done too, currently awaiting a reconstruction operation.

Thanks for all the replies guys, I’ve got loads to work with now!

Will have a look to see if I can get out with a group on Saturday :mrgreen:

chakaping
    Free Member

You in the area chakaping?

Yes, permanently in the area, I’m pleased to say.

I’m living over near Wigan so I’ll pass on tomorrow’s ride – but hopefully catch you sometime soon.

🙂

wors

7.30 kick off. Rammy over towards Darwen/rivi way.

Good Luck 😉

binners

Yeah… I reckon it might be a tad soggy, and ever-so-slightly blustery. Still…. plenty of pubs to take cover in 😀

wors

I think our night ride this week will be a pub ride 😀

matt1986
    Free Member

May possibly be out on sat local do you have a car?

RDL-82
    Free Member

RDL – That’s sounds brill, when do you go/are you going next?

Currently bike less for another week or two, but when sorted I’ll be riding most Sundays and a week day as well, with a night thrown in somewhere.

Send me an email or let me know yours and I’ll give you a shout when riding again.

Rob

solarpowered
    Free Member

There’s plenty of folks on here from in and around God’s Own City. However, on no account have anything to do with NBT, MartynS, solarpowered or Binners; they are total nutjobs who are in no way approachable, friendly, accomodating, knowledgeable or funny and none of them seem to have ANY idea of where the bar is

*waves*

Hi ya nick! I’m new too and sometimes ride with the Marple group and can say its well worth the travel and effort 🙂

I live very close to Phillips park too – been out this afternoon in fact – the trails around here are great fun and ideal for starting out again! Feel free to email once you get a bike sorted

eightyeight
    Free Member

Hey Nick!
    You’re more than welcome to join me for a ride. Me and my housemate (also a relative beginner) tend to ride Gisburn, Philips Park, Llandeglla or Lee Quarry. More than happy to give a lift. Email in profile.

Keep meaning to get along to Marple with people on her, but a bit shy 😳

Gary_C

hora – Member

-theres a cute Asian girl in that group.

Unfortunately for you, but very fortunately for her, she’s spoken for. 😆

Pook

nbt’s peaks pootles?!

hora
    Free Member

Oops POOKS POOTLES. The clues in the name ‘poo(k)’tle 😉

Pook

nbt is a very helpful, and genial co-pilot/stand in

nickg91
    Free Member

Some great options there, I’ll get emailing some of you tomorrow, wouldn’t mind trying Phillips Park on Saturday if anyone is up for it. My email is nickg91@me.com.

Speak soon!

se7en983
    Free Member

Checkout the link for info and photos on the new Clayton Vale trails..

claytonvaletrails.org

see you there:D

Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)

The topic ‘Newbie looking for trails and buddies in/around Manchester’ is closed to new replies.