Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Newbie login on…..
  • Wharfedale
    Free Member

Hey Guys & Girls,

Newbie login on. I’ve been lurking for the last few months, thought now was a good time to break cover.

Without looking like a mercenary I’m also looking for advise on a potential new purchase……

Currently I ride a fairly well upgraded GT Avalanche 0.0 with mainly xt/xtr bits BUT fancy something that will be easier on my aging bones for longer rides and hopefully a little lighter.

I’ve seen the Specialized Epic FSR Expert Carbon 2008 for £1800 which seems like a really good price… anyone here got one or can pass comment positive or negative?

Also alternatives would be appreciated…

Thanks Stuart

joe1983
    Free Member

You won’t go far wrong with the epic, I’ve only heard good things about it, just make sure you try before you buy as it’s a lot of cash to splash without checking it suits

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Nowt mercenary about that! ’tis what it’s all about!

What sort of riding are you doing? Location etc?

Spesh Epics ride very nicely indeed as an all dayer and buying a 2008 model can be a very, very good way of getting a lot of bank for your buck.

(Be warned, it’s a bit Hotel California here….you can check out any time you like….)

Wharfedale
    Free Member

Cheers for the quick replies guys.

Based in Skipton, North Yorkshire. Mainly do natural riding, moors and lanes but have recently started doing some on the trail centres, not into jumping or anything like that.

I tested the 09 carbon epic and loved that, but won’t be able to test the 08 to the same level.

z1ppy

personnally I really dislike full-sussers that have custom made shock (epic/maverick/etc), and the Epic always described as a marmite love/hate type of bike – I’d want to try before you buy.

The other major issue is that they’ve just completely re-designed the Epic, the suspension design has completely changed – which is either a good thing, as the 2008 will have been hugely reduced, or a really bad thing as it no longer a “current” model & it’s 2nd hand value will drop massively…..IMHO

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

anyone read anything good about the spesh shocks?

anyone………………………………………

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Yep, I have Spesh shocks and forks on my Enduro and they’re lovely.

5 year warranty too, which is pretty damned impressive!

flamejob
    Free Member

+1 what was said about Epics and marmite

…nasty stuff (both Epics and marmite).

Maybe if you aren’t used to a ‘normal’ suspension action then you might not mind it. I find the brain thing takes a nanosecond too long to open and it feels a bit odd.

nickc

Unless you’re racing. Stumpy ever time over the Epic

iolo
    Free Member

I bought one in Dec 08.
    I’m currently on my 6th shock on warranty from specialized.
    I love the bike when it works but the rear shock is terrible.
    I am waiting on a new shock which Specialized have promised is better.
    We’ll see this weekend.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Newbie login on…..’ is closed to new replies.