Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Newbie in Switzerland
  • matildaw
    Free Member

Hi guys,

I am going to Switzerland to ride for two days at the very end of October. Do you guys think that is too late (I mean with the snow)?

Also, I am not a technical cyclist at all… I’d just like to take a lift/train up, and then descend really flowy, fast and easy singletrack with beautiful views.

So, flowy, easy and pretty views are the main points here!

Any advise would be appreciated!

beanum

Where in Switzerland? Most chairlifts will be closed by then so you’ll be dependent on trains mainly. I’ve never done it but have heard good things about the descent from Rochers de Naye to Montreux.
    BikingSpots.ch

Unless there is early snow you should be OK descending from Bretaye in Villars, or even Verbier to Le Châble (if the cable car is still running).

eulach

They’ll be something to ride. Chur stays open as long as possible, Mels can be nice to ride late in the season but no uplift. Gurten and Magglingen are always open but can get a bit slippery and aren’t typical resorts. If there’s a Special Swiss Wind then it gets quite warm, 25 – 30 degrees.
    Edit:
    PM me nearer hte time if you are in the German speaking part.

mrmo
    Free Member

I have been in Verbier late august and had snow in the resort.

Unless there is early snow you should be OK descending from Bretaye in Villars, or even Verbier to Le Châble (if the cable car is still running).

if it isn’t the post bus may well take the bike anyway.

johnhe

Just in case you take all the advice, the Rochers de Naye to Montreux trail would be really rocky and technical at the top. And the train up is quite expensive.

matildaw
    Free Member

Hi guys, sorry, I thought I’d get some kind of notifications when people replied to me! Hence, I haven’t checked.

I have fallen in love now with the stunning setting of Grindelwald. They seem to have lots of lifts, cabins, funiculars and “mountain trains” (!?). I emailed the tourist office who replied that there is no single track in Grindelwald. Seems… odd. Youtube appears to prove them wrong.

From: Grindelwald Tourismus [mailto:info@grindelwald.swiss]
    Sent: 12 June 2017 15:23
    To: Matilda Welin
    Subject: AW: Mountain biking

Dear Matilda

Thank you for your e-mail and interest in Grindelwald.

In the end of October the season in Grindelwald slowly ends. Some of the cable car are still close. So you just can bike maybe from Grindelwald till Bort or you bike Bussalp. But unfortunately there are no single trails.

You can rent a bike by Backdoor Shop in Grindelwald http://www.backdoorshop.ch/

Here the Hostels/Lodges: http://www.downtownlodge.ch/de/

Willkommen

If you have any further questionss, please do not hesitate to contact us.

matildaw
    Free Member

Thanks for all your recommendations! I was thinking about Chur or Davos, but the nmountains above Interlaken are so pretty..! The north face of the Eiger!!! I’ll def look at the Bikingspots webpage though.

Eulach, do you live in Switzerland? Like I said, I am just going to a friend’s wedding in Bad Durkheim and then carving out a few days after to cycle… I am an amateur by any measure (although I have ridden in the Picos De Europa and in our UK bike parks!) but it’d be nice to meet up! Otherwise I’ll have two sad days by myself! :/

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Newbie in Switzerland’ is closed to new replies.