Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Newbie Help with XC MTB Build
  • randall356
    Free Member

Hi there,

I am a newbie to MTB from Hampshire.

I have built a bike around parts I have bought solely from eBay.

This is my current setup?

2008 Rockhopper 17.5″ M4 Frame
    2004 Fox F80 RLT Fork
    FSA K-Force Flat handlebar
    ITM Carbon Stem
    Bontrager X-Lite Bar ends
    Shimano XTR-960 Crankset with Middleburn rings
    Shimano XT-771 Rear Mech
    Shimano Deore Front Mech
    Easton EC70 Seatpost
    Selle Italia Flow saddle
    Shimano M525 Hydraulic Brakes with Goodridge hoses and 203 Rotors
    Bontrager Ranger 700c Wheels

Currently I only use the bike for commuting hence the 700c wheels.

I have really been enjoying the road riding side of things and had contemplated getting myself a road bike (Specialized Allez).

The Allez weighs in at about 9.7kgs, and my Spesh currently weights in at 11.6 kg.

One of my friends has suggested getting a more XC orientated frame, which might give me a similar weight to the road bike, and have the ability to handle 26” MTB wheels when required to do so as I live in quite a rural area.

My mate was also surprised at the weight of my current setup and thought it must be the frame adding extra weight.

I have looked at a used 2005 Kona Kula frame (with Easton tubing), do you guys think that would be a better geometry (I’m only interested in XC, no downhill / jumps etc) and make for a much lighter set up? I have also seen a 2010 Kona Kula frame from J E Cycles at £209 which might also be a good bet?

Any help would be appreciated.

Stu

br
    Free Member

If only for XC, use 160mm/140mm rotors.

It’ll be difficult to save much over what you have, even a top-notch (expensive) from will only knock 0.5kg off.

antigee

bump
    suspect really not the best on here to help

main difference with a road bike isn’t just weight but the more aerodynamic position and more efficient body position
    as a stop gap since only use to commute why not swop out to a rigid carbon fork ? – that will cut weight for running on road but will severely limit offroad or put the money in a piggy bank for a 2nd hand road bike

docrobster
    Free Member

Like antigee says, probably a KG difference between suspension forks and rigid carbon.
    Trying to get a sub 10KG MTB will cost ££££- cheaper to buy an allez as well and have best of both worlds rather than a super light MTB that isn’t as fast as an average road bike or as strong as an average MTB

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Newbie Help with XC MTB Build’ is closed to new replies.