Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Newbie girlie – Car advice required
  • sweez
    Free Member

Dear awesome guys I need your help.

I need a new car budget 7k

I would like if possible

4 x 4
    room for snowboard or bikes or camping equipment
    Economical
    Comfortable on motorways
    Pretty girly color with love hearts if possible 🙂

Thank you in advance

newbie girlie bikerist

Sweez

CHB

4×4 and ecomomical will be a challenge!

How many miles per year will you drive?
    Roughly what size car are you after (fiesta/focus/mondeo/van)?

Snowboards will go on or in most cars, as will bikes if theres only one or two of you.

Tell us a bit more about what you are after and I am sure the STW folk will help.

Mackem

A photo so we can see what car would suit you is needed.

racing_ralph
    Free Member

4×4 berlingo? do they do one?

bruk

Moon on a stick too? 😀

4×4 and economical don’t usually go together.

Do you want a 4×4 ie high up driving position etc or just a 4 wheel drive version of a normal car?

[/url]Skoda estate

Or a soft roader
    Suzuki Vitara

crazy-legs

You don’t want a 4×4, you want a nice girlie van like this one:

Friend bought it for 5k, put the lounger in (“it folds out to be a double bed you know!”)
    You can see her surfboards down the right hand side, pics of her surfing and biking on the bulkhead and she just stuck the bikes down the side on a tarp.
    It’s a Ford Transit btw… Set off nicely with the tiger stripes. 🙂

As far as I know,Land Rover are the only manufacturer to make a pink 4×4.
    Is this the sort of thing you’re looking for ?

colande
    Free Member

my first thought was subaru forester,
    a quick look on auto trader and you’ll easily get one for that money,
    not sure about economy, but would hazard a guess that it’s not bad/not great though
    not girlie but not sure 4×4 are girlie

Mugboo

Vw T5 Transporter with winter tyres.

No real need for a 4×4 unless are doing proper offroading and loads of room for your bikes and snowboard plus you could add a nice dressing table and a split charger for hair straightners.

I have a friend who can add the love hearts if your near bradford.

racing_ralph
    Free Member

for 7k??

Hairychested
    Free Member

New or new to you?
    A Honda CRV springs to mind. Mostly 2×4 but it switches to 4×4 if loosing grip or something. Or a Toyota Rav4.

parkesie
    Free Member

Honda HRV could be an option

KT1973
    Free Member

Landrover Freelander

Hairychested
    Free Member

I like HRV, a tidy little Civic SUV.

amplebrew

How about a Suzuki SX4 or a Mitsubishi Shogun Pinin?

Karinofnine

Do you really want 4×4? They use lots of fuel, have a small turning circle (hard to park), lots to go wrong, not always huge inside.

pacemaker
    Free Member

+ 1 for Suzuki SX4, friend has one, focus sized 4wd that seems to plough on regardless of conditions.
    Not too bad economy , but haven’t seen one in pink?

br
    Free Member

My wife loves her Freelander (td4 auto).

fattatlasses
    Free Member

Hmm..like others have said 4×4 + economic + decent on Mway is a bit ‘moon on a stick’. Of course, a lot depends on how much disposable dosh you have to throw at running costs. If you don’t like ongoing spending on cars, have a real careful think of exactly what you need. From personal experience, unless you really need it, forget 4×4, as you can potentially end up with sub 30mpg and BIG servicing,tyre and repair bills. If you do need a 4×4, just be a bit wary of more complex/unusual stuff (like Subarus) – they’re typically far more reliable than anything by Landrover, but the servicing and parts costs can be a nightmare. Also worth remembering that taller 4×4’s aren’t exactly brilliant on M-ways in high winds, or quick evasive manouvres – tyre noise can also be a drag on a long journey.

Have I put you off a 4×4 yet?!! 😀

I think someone suggested the Skoda Octavia estate 4×4 (there’s also Audi’s ‘off-road’ 4×4 estates). I guess at the moment, they’ll be a bit tough to find 2nd hand, but if you can get a good un, they’re very good. If you can find one, Renault also used to do the Kangoo ‘people carrier’ van in 4×4 – fairly economical for a 4×4 and very practical for outdoorsey stuff.

If you wanna go for something a bit different in FWD, you could try something like a Citroen Berlingo, Renault Kangoo, Fiat Doblo. We’ve got a diesel Kangoo (amongst other vehicles!) and I love it! – really practical, holds masses of climbing/biking/camping kit, does 50+mpg on the motorway, cruise all day at decent m-way fast lane speeds – oh, and it has wipe clean floor covering! All of these van-based designs are pretty bomb-proof and economical, er…’cos they’ve been designed as commercial vehicles. The Kangoo in particular has really good ground clearance, so it’s pretty good over rough campsite fields. If your worried about getting stuck in the snow/mud, just get a spare set of front wheels with winter tyres, or carry some snow chains.

For your budget, you’d be able to get a really good used Berlingo/Kangoo/Doblo.

HTH!

p.s. apologies for the downer on 4×4’s – anyone would think my wife bought a used 4×4, (‘cos she’s always wanted one 😕 ) and I’ve had to spend loads of time & money repairing the damned thing.

CountZero

I would recommend an Octavia 4×4 if you can get your hands on one. An alternative might be one of these:

Renault Megane RX4, not especially girly, but lots of nice big plastic panels along the sides to protect against damaging shopping trollies in the supermarket carpark.

parkesie
    Free Member

honda hrv
    good on fuel
    ok on the mway
    good turning circle
    It is after all a tall civic 🙂

dave_aber
    Free Member

Forget about fuel economy – you are going to struggle with that on any 4×4 (Fiat Panda maybe? – too small)

Once you have forgotten about economy, get a 4WD Mazda Bongo. If you don’t know what they are, have a look at the Bongo Fury website. The benefits do outweigh the cost of fuel.

5thElefant
    Free Member

Isuzu Rodeo. Holds the LEJOG pickup mpg record for mpg of 54.2mpg (or more realistically does 35mpg). Seats 4 in comfort and 4 bikes in the back (or 5 in discomfort and 5 bikes at a push). It’ll go pretty much anywhere you could reasonably want to go. My wife loves hers.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Newbie girlie – Car advice required’ is closed to new replies.