Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Newbie bike help
  • rkeen
    Free Member

Hi

I used to ride bikes alot younger mainly bmx i want to get back into it i want to downhill and stuff but have no idea what bike to buy got about 2000 to spend

rkeen
    Free Member

Bump

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Full on DH? Got any uplift nearby?
    Not full on how about trail/enduro/all mountain – shorter travel bikes than DH but very capable
    Been to a bike shop recently? Take a stroll round and have a chat
    Where are you based?

rkeen
    Free Member

I am based in derby Midlands so there are a few trails round me

i was looking into full downhill but seen quite a few posts that say they can’t be ridding uphill was just wondering what all the main differences are its all confusing haha

mikewsmith
    Free Member

DH bike for pointing down a hill only, nearest to you would be Farmer Johns in Stockport way and after that probably Shropshire so lots of driving for not much riding. Speak to some locals either via here or as I said a local bike shop. Lots of things to think about, maybe hiring/demo of some bikes in places you can get to and see what you think. Other option is used for a lot better value for money.

lunge

IMO, unless you’re riding dedicated uplifts every weekend a DH bike does not work. They are phenomenal to ride fast and down but for everything else they’re a ball ache.

A good compromise would be one of the latest generation of Enduro bikes. They’re designed to fly downhill yet also be perfectly capable of heading back up it when you’ve finished. They’re arguably easier to ride downhill than a full DH bike too though that’s a bit open to debate.

rkeen
    Free Member

Lunge do you have any suggestions?

rkeen
    Free Member

Why are downhills such a ball ache unless you are using uplifts?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

200mm of travel, heavier, slacker angles, optimised to race downhill basically.
    Bikes have been optimised for different things, DH bikes hence the name are downhill bikes, not something you want to ride round somewhere with up hills. Sort of a just trust us on this one

bikeneil
    Free Member

Test ride a few bikes and buy the one you liked the most.

rkeen
    Free Member

So basically the rule is don’t buy a DH unless you are going to visit uphills very often?

z1ppy

hmm smells like a troll but..

Buying DH bike is not advisable unless all you mean to do, is specific “downhill” orientated courses, which involve either an uplift (a van/tractor with a trailer, to load you bike onto, and travel to the top – then ride down) or pushing the bike back to the top of the course. As downhill bike do not pedal efficiently ‘uphill’ and normally weigh significantly more than a trail (or enduro) bike, so are an effort to ride up hill.
    A trail bike would be a better recommendation for some-one just starting the sport, as you can ride up and down trails… also DH bike don’t seem to hold there value well (not that i’m an expert) so spending £2k on a bike, to find you don’t actually like/enjoy it, you’ll struggle to re-coup your money, hence most pl wouldn’t suggest it as a great 1st bike

rkeen
    Free Member

i am from the Midlands so from the looks of things there isn’t many uplifts around me 🙁 so guess i would have to go with a trail bike then

something like this?
    http://www.tredz.co.uk/.Specialized-Enduro-EVO-650b-Mountain-Bike-2015-Full-Suspension-MTB_73423.htm

z1ppy

It’s not a bad choice, though a hell of a lot of travel for a 1st bike (140mm be fine for all but a full on DH track). I’d always recommend spending sometime demo-ing bikes to find what you like. There may be some costs to the demo process but it could save you more in the long run

I was set on buying either of two bikes, the demo’s convinced me neither was what I actually wanted.. Cost me £50 (the bike shop leant me the other free) but it saved me from buying a £2500-3000 bike I would have been disappointed with. Though TBH I then went on to buy a bike completely blind.. no demo or even a frame for 4 months, after placing the order

rkeen
    Free Member

Ill be looking to buy next month so will go try but i just wanted to get my head around what i need/want as its all abit confusing haha

z1ppy

Yep I don’t disagree, it’s a minefield, but I find them biggest mistake ppl make is deciding they need loads of suspension travel… this is the UK, not the Alps, though there is some challenging terrain 140mm or less would probably be more than enough for most ppl (IMHO)

it should be noted that a good shop will demo the bikes for a charge but that charge will normally be knocked off the cost of the new bike, if you buy it from the same shop (normally within a month)

oldejeans
    Free Member

if you’re in Derby, I’d guess the nearest place to ride that Enduro is Morley/Drum/Castle woods, but you won’t get the best out of it unless you go further up the A6 and start exploring between Belper and Matlock. It’ll compete with DH bikes in that area and you’ll be able to pedal it back to the top. If you’re willing to ride/drive that far then it’s the best way to make the most of the valley.

It doesn’t have to have everything the enduro has but I think you’re on the right track if you’re after a brand new bike. But there is a ridiculous amount of choice these days so to suggest one bike, or even 5 would be missing out on loads of great value, well performing bikes.

Do rigorous research at the outlets of your choice based on whether you’re going to service it yourself or get them to do it. because every 6 months it’ll need to be in bits so that you can replace all sorts of expensive stuff.

rkeen
    Free Member

these are round the corner from me http://www.leisurelakesbikes.com/

don’t know if anyones had any dealing with them?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

but I find them biggest mistake ppl make is deciding they need loads of suspension travel… this is the UK, not the Alps, though there is some challenging terrain 140mm or less would probably be more than enough for most ppl (IMHO)

I rode harder, steeper and more technical in the lakes than I ever did in the alps

rkeen
    Free Member

Oldejeans yes thats not far at all i drive abit with work so 45 mins in the car is nothing would be looking to travel alot further than that in the future

rkeen
    Free Member

B

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Newbie bike help’ is closed to new replies.