Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Newbie Bike Build – Help!
  • jarvo
    Free Member

Hi,
    After riding my old 90’s rigid Giant … and killing it, I’ve decided that I need a newer bike. A friend has kindly let be borrow a loaner, whilst I save up.

I decided that, for the money I was able to spend, I could get a decent hardtail … but if I built one second hand, I might manage to improve the spec and save some cash.

Remember that this is a budget build, and designed to get me a semi decent frame as a starting block, on which I could get a working bike, and then upgrade the components as and when funds were available.

To date I have:
    [list][*]Rockhopper 19″ SL 2011 Frame[/*]
    [*]Suntour Forks – not ideal but I’ve never had any form of suspension[/*]
    [*]Hope Factory Hoops Swiss DT XR4.2D Rims[/*]
    [*]Hope Pro II hubs[/*]
    [*]Hope Bottom Bracket – Hollowtech II[/*]
    [*]WTB Volt Saddle[/*]
    [*]Crank Bros bars[/*][/list]

The friend above who has let me borrow the loaner, has some kit which I’m buying:
    [list][*]Avid Juicy brakes including levers[/*]
    [*]Rotors[/*]
    [*]Stem[/*][/list]

I now need to spec out the following:
    [list][*]Cassette[/*]
    [*]Rear Mech[/*]
    [*]Front Mech[/*]
    [*]Chainset[/*]
    [*]Chain[/*]
    [*]Shifters[/*][/list]

I’ve had varying advice, such as:
    1) Always put new drivetrain on a bike
    2) For aluminium hubs, you ideally need aluminium cassette. To stop the harder stainless steel mashing up the softer aluminium.
    3) 3×9 is going to be cheaper than 2×10
    4) For aluminium hubs, you need XT or greater.

I’m a bit of a fatty and ideally need a variety of gears to get my ass up those hills! Do I need something such as 3×10?

So .. advice please? Remember budget it key … but also I don’t want to be swapping components out after 10 rides … except maybe those forks!

Also, since the BB is Hollowtech II, what’s GXP and BB30 … and how does that relate?

Sorry for the random questions!

madxela
    Free Member

Quality components so far 🙂

A few thoughts from someone who has replaced drivetrains a fair bit…

Drivetrain components wear together – so unless you have a drivetrain from another bike that is not worn out you are into new.

If you are after durability than a few grammes of weight – go for cheaper steel cassettes (They won’t damage your hub), definitely go for 3x and get whatever is cheapest (ie 9 or 10)

You don’t need expensive shifters

Your BB will determine your cranks (sorry can’t help with the BB30 Q) – but its often cheaper to get a full chainset (cranks, BB & front gears) than buy new front cogs.

Front mechs are all the same – not worth paying for more than LX

rear mechs it is worth getting a better one eg XT

Chain – get a SRAM as the quick link system is so much better for taking the chain on and off without buying chain pins. (you can also buy these separately and fit to shimano chains)

Quick links on 9 speed come on and off a lot better than 10 speed.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

The topic ‘Newbie Bike Build – Help!’ is closed to new replies.