Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Newbie after some info/ recommendations
  • nordboy
    Free Member

Ok, Newbie saying hello. I’ve been directed over here from another (non cycling) forum. I have very little technical knowledge and am looking for a hardtail mtb on a budget of £750 max.

I’ve looked at the Canyon grand canyon al 5.9, but am not sure about the whole aftersales thing as they’re based in germany.
    Boardman pro 29er is in budget. Then there is something like the Rocky Mountain fusion 27.5 on sale for £399 from tredz. Or the specialized rockhopper evo 650b at £699?

Any info or recommendations on any of the above bikes or any other suggestions are happily received!!! I’m struggling to pick one over the other and if it goes on, i’ll end up going without……again!!

nordboy
    Free Member

Maybe I should add that it will probably only be used for getting fit, little bit of off road stuff, no major uphill/ downhill stuff at first.
    Do live in South Wales mind you, so there are some great places to play

dpfr

Oooooh! You’re on a very slippery slope. That’s pretty much what I said two years ago, and I am now awaiting delivery of my fourth bike, which’ll give me two MTBs and two roadies, and have notched up more than 1000 miles off road and almost 2000 miles on road this year.

You’re dooomed, I tell you, doomed!!!!!

jb72
    Free Member

The Boardman Pro looks to be a good deal – down from £999 apparently. Also consider the Voodoo Hoodoo … at £499 it’s still an excellent bike with reasonable components – leaving you some money to buy pedals, shoes, clothing etc.

Matt_SS_xc

If your new to riding go to a good local bike shop.
    Depending where you are in South Wales cyclopaedia, crwys road in Cardiff are great guys.
    You may pay slightly more than online, but a good shop will size is properly, help with servicing etc….
    I dot think online is a great option for new riders

taxi25
    Free Member

For general riding around on and off road I’d definetly go for a 29er H/t with a fork lockout. It’ll make a pretty good tarmac mile muncher with the right tyres, pretty good for normal x/c playing about as well.
    With the Boardman at that price I wouldn’t bother to look elsewhere, It’ll do everything you want and more, looking at loads of bikes and seeking internet opinions is sometimes helpful, but it can just make things more complicated and confusing than they need to be.

slackboy

That Boardman does look excellent for the money. If you join british cycling you can save 10% on everything at halfords, so that will save you another £75 less the membership costs (from £20)

nordboy
    Free Member

I’ve just found out that my wife was given £100 of vouchers that can be used in Halfords. I’m thinking at £600 then the pro 29er could be a winner.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Newbie after some info/ recommendations’ is closed to new replies.