Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Newb needs tyre advice??
  • cutter
    Free Member

Ok so ive pretty much allways used tioga 2.3 factory dh tyers, although they seem fatter than all other 2.3 ive ever used or seen, so heres my question what do you people think of the rubber queen 2.4 and the mountain king 2.4, also what about intense systems dh invaders 2.5, or would i need wider rims for a 2.5 tyre ?
    Im not really a hardcore rider but also not a slow whimpy rider , just need some thing quite decent n verry grippy
    So i plan on ordering new tyers in the morning so any halp would be great
    Thanx

tmb467
    Free Member

Can only speak from experience but can’t recommend on-ones monkey and smorgasbord highly enough for the price

cutter
    Free Member

Sorry dont understand what your meaning?

cutter
    Free Member

Any one else got and advice or axperience with the above mentiond tyers?

cutter
    Free Member

Any one any where? Advice,????

bigdean

You’ll never get a sensable answer on here about tyres. Lashing a spoon to your seatpost will reach 3 pages instantly.

I usally search the net, shop reviews, mtbr, bike radar and the like.

cutter
    Free Member

Ok mate cheers was just askin cos a mte seem to think that rubber queen 2.4 is wider than a mountain king 2.4, and just wonderd if i went for 2.5 are they ment for wider rims

tymbian
    Free Member

What do you want your tyres to do, on what & in what weather?

tomhoward

To be honest, any tyre will be better than what you currently have.

Assuming you’re riding dh type trails, have a look at maxxis minions and high rollers in 2.5 in super tacky compound (tiogas are massive for the size, so your current rims will be fine)

Rubber queens are popular, but general consensus is that they are only good using their ‘black chili’ compound

Have a look at schwable tyres as well, I’m not too familiar with them tho.

Someone will be along shortly to tell you that all the above is horseshit.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Normal answer on here I use x. X us awesome.

All depends what and where you ride. Do you ride dh?

gdub923
    Free Member

I have a used Maxxis Minions (2.5 front and 2.3 rear) and Schwalbe Muddy Mary (front) nobby nic (rear) as set ups and they give great grip in north Scotland.

It all depends on what surface you are riding on. On the same surface where I ride local. Minions are great when really dry. And the Schwalbe set up works best when much wetter.

Ask you LBS for what works best where you are that is how I got to where I am with tyres.

cutter
    Free Member

I ride 40% road on my way to fairly fast dry and muddy trials wich is about 60% of the ride, to be honest im gunna go for the ribber queens, non black chilli and if i like them ill go for black chilli version next , at least if i try both versions ill be able to tell the difference and maybee understand what all the hype is about the chilli,

gonzy
    Free Member

i use currently either 2.3 maxxis ignitors or panaracer fire fr 2.4 tyres on my bike.
    the panaracers are very round in profile when on the rim (atomlab dhr) and are pretty light for a big tyre. performance wise the grip is brilliant and very predictable and controllable, but the downsize is that with all that grip they can drag and you’ll probably have frame clearance issues due to the size and profile of the tyre….plus you cant get them anymore
    the ignitors are smaller in profile but are still grippy and predictable and are very nearly as good as the panaracers.
    i use 2.5 high rollers on the dh bike and again these have brilliant levels of grip but the tyres are dual ply so they are quite heavy.
    i’d recommend you look at the maxxis range as something like the ignitors/ardents or advantages would be suitable for you…you get the bonus of being able to select the tyre compound as well.
    just remember to choose the compound type carefully…a 42a will be very soft and grippy but will wear out very quickly, whereas a 60a will still be grippy but not at the same level as a 42a but the tyre will wear at a slower rate…
    i’ve also got a pair of intense tyres for the dh bike….they cost a lot and the compound is very soft so i use them on special occasions only as a treat to myself…they grip like hell but wear very quickly too which doesnt make them very cost effective…
    rim width can make a difference in big volume tyres…if you put one on a narrow rim the overall tyre profile will be quite round but on a wider rim the sidewalls will be less round and the trye profile will be a bit more squarer but again this depends on the tyre in question….as a result the handling characteristics can vary…
    if this is confusing then there is only one solution to your problem….

HANS DAMPF!!

Toasty

Can only speak from experience but can’t recommend on-ones monkey and smorgasbord highly enough for the price

+1 chuffed to bits with mine, rubbish for the 40% road/60% muddy trail combo as above, but then probably no more silly than a Rubber Queen 😛

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Newb needs tyre advice??’ is closed to new replies.