Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • New Zealand camping
  • paul-thomas
    Free Member

Off to NZ for 2 months cycle touring next year.

question is, what cooking stove to take? would I be better off buying something like the MSR whisperlite which can run on 'White Gas' or petrol.

or a Trangia meths burner which would be great for the windy conditions in the south west.

or just a campingaz canister burner?

Anyone know what types of fuel are easy to get hold of?

I am not sure whats availible here in terms of fuel. However we are advanced enough for you to buy camping stuff here. My advice is to get it here. Saves having to carry flammable stuff.

fubar
    Free Member

I used small gas canisters (can't remember which one – whatever they sold / used locally)…if you don't already have the stove I'd just buy one when you arrive

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    NZCol

You'll probably find gas canisters easier to find than the fuel for a whisperlite -well thats what i found. Unless its a multifuel one.
    Gas canisters you'll find in all outdoor shops, most hardware shops and the occasional garage depending on how out in the wops you are. For camping have a look at the DOC website (http://www.doc.govt.nz) they have loads of backcountry/basic sites which are fine, in fact almost luxury sometimes ! Most small towns etc have a campsite of some description which will be appointed with kitchen and showers etc.
    Also saves the hassle of fuel bottles at airports.
    Remeber to clean your gear completely before you arrive. Have you got the peddlars paradise books – they are quite good ? Trail_Rat rode around these fair islesd recently as well. ANy other questions just ask.

anagallis_arvensis

Dont buy a whisperlight get a …… cant remember the name the MSR with the flame control ….. Dragon Fly thats the bugger.
    In NZ though gas canisters are widely available so that would be a cheaper and lighter option (not sure how someone things fuel for an msr would be hard to find though 😆 unleaded is pretty common.

Dont worry too much about cleaning your kit to a spotless state as the nice people at the airport will no doubt want to clean it for you again anyway.

Any thoughts on routes?

Oh and as said some of the DOC campsites are pretty basic but in amazing locations and you can always go to a proper campsite for a shower every couple of days (most campsites in NZ are very well kitted out and have very good kitchens

NZCol

(not sure how someone things fuel for an msr would be hard to find though unleaded is pretty common.

Indeed if you have a multifuel whisperlite. If you don't have the multifuel one (like me) you can run it on unleaded (as I have and lots of other ugly things inc diesel but that almost completely killed it) but it does not like it at all. The fuel i was referring to was white gas which is what the 'normal' whsiperlite runs on. But then what would I know. 🙄

anagallis_arvensis

Dont no what you know, I have had a whisperlight for about 12 years, I thought they were all multifuel all you have to do is put the appropriate jet in the top. I would be suprised if you can get a non multufule one these days

NZCol

Maybe its just here then but the standard one you can buy (and I've had mine about 7 years) is white fuel, multifuel is a different (and moire expensive) option. LInked here http://www.ampro.co.nz/products/MSR/stoves/stoves_&_fuel.htm as that was our sponsor and where we got all our MSR stuff from.

Anyway, you can buy gas here, petrol here, crappy diesel here or just cook over a Bic lighter 🙂

anagallis_arvensis

well there you go!!He'd be better off with a gas burner in NZ anyway!

NZCol

Agree, and also agree on the Dragon Fly – much easier to cook with !

ANyway , have a nice trip, weather is random as always. Did a race in the Abel Tas at the weekend – Saturday was t shirts and suncream, sunday was waterproofs, thermals and not being blown away by 100kmh winds.

paul-thomas
    Free Member

Thanks for the advice, think I'll stick with the cheap and cheerful gas canisters.

Our route isn't set in stone but the rough plan is internal flight from Auckland to Queenstown cycle up the west coast all the way to westport, then inland to Nelson and picton. Ferry to wellington then train to Hamilton. cycle to Tauranga and up the east coast and round the Coromandel to Auckland for flights home.

We've never actually cycle toured before so i'm working on doing a modest 20 miles a day with about 10 rest/site seeing days.

Will be using DOC campsites apart from when we're desperate for a hot shower.

anagallis_arvensis

Sounds like a nice route and there's no point rushing. My brother lives in Raglan near Hamilton which is a very nice area to visit if you have time.

near my bothers house

NZCol

Only mods i would suggest is consider going over the matitukituki saddle to Hanmer and then through the rainbow road to nr St Arnaud – great camping in there.
    Take good insect repellent as well – west coast can be brutal with sandflies but its a stunning ride.
    Have fun

peachos
    Free Member

another nod to the DOC campsites – they are simply ace. we used them all of the time and many are near to rivers, streams or lakes so you can wash at them. the downside to that being the sandflies. take headnets & full length clothes!!

another option i would suggest, although completely in the wrong direction for your route, would be a trip over to Stewart Island in the deep South. oh, and squeeze in a 2/3 day hike/kayak along the coast at Abel Tasman NP if you have the time, you wont regret it!

NZCol

My pick of the DOC sites is Onamalutu nr Blenheim, a bit out the way but a cool place to chill out and swim in the river etc. And see when you wash, please don't use soap/shampoo unless its one of the ones that breaks down quickly. I keep seeing **** Germans in campervans trying to lather up a storm in some beautiful backcountry stream – aaaaaarrrgh stop it !
    If you don;t have a lot of time on the Abel Tas go for a day kayak at least, they drop you off in the water taxi and you paddle back. Awesome fun – just back from a race there.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘New Zealand camping’ is closed to new replies.