Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • New York suggestions…
  • matt23
    Free Member

Looking for any suggesions here people – me and the new wife are off to NEw York in April for the honeymoon and I’m just asking for suggestions on what to do.

Looking at the websites and reviews but just wondering if STW have any places/tours/ things we should definitely do.

So far we are doing the theatre, NBA game, natural history museum, Empire State and Rockaffella.

Would love to hear of places to eat/drink as well – we are 2 blocks from Times Square.

Thanks in advance!

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

Have a peek at this

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/6-days-in-nyc-what-to-do

Deffo do the Highline

annebr
    Free Member

was about to say do the highline!

waller
    Free Member

Empire State building at day. Rockerfella at night.

Buy a ticket at the empire to do the empire and also the ferry ride under the Brooklyn bridge and over to the two islands.

Walk from Time square down to ground zero to then catch the ferry.

Highline.

Nice little restaurant we found on 48 west street off 8th ave next to the belverdere hotel called Patezeria and friends. Quite a lot of the locals seemed to use it.

We found we ate at most places off of 8th ave in and around Hells Kitchen. There is an emporium there too where we normally got our lunch to speed everything up rather than going to restaurants all the time.

I found the natural history museum a bit of a let down to be honest 🙁 Its normally the sort of thing I love.

I’m very jealous. Of all the places to go to its the one I really never wanted to visit. Enjoyed it so much all I want to do is go back 🙂

Oh. And get your fortune read by Zoltar in F.A.O Schwarz or whatever its called 🙂

tthew

Cocktails in the Central Station Oyster Bar.
    And the Highline.
    edit – Hire bikes and ride around Central Park if you’re there over a weekend.
    Get the subway to/from the airport as it’s loads cheaper than a cab, and there’s little chance you’d get one of the classic Yellow’s, they’re mostly Ford Explorer Hybrids these days.

DrJ

Get the subway to/from the airport as it’s loads cheaper than a cab, and there’s little chance you’d get one of the classic Yellow’s, they’re mostly Ford Explorer Hybrids these days.

Taxi from JFK to downtown costs $58+tip, if I remember correctly, and takes about 45mins. I thought it was not a bad alternative to arriving off the plane and navigating an unfamiliar transit system that takes an age to get to your destination, but I also had a stroppy teen in tow. But the main point is … maybe Newark is actually more convenient for Manhattan? Just an idea.

nano
    Free Member

Highline is great..

If you want to see Manhattan and the Statue of Liberty the Staten Island Ferry is worth taking and cheaper than an organised tour.

Plenty of good eats in Tribeca or the Meatpacking districts to the south of where you’re staying or some good ‘neighbourhood’ restaurants to the upper west side.

Somewhere that’s a little cheesy but good for a drink or two is The View revolving restaurant that’s pretty much on time square. You will get a really good panorama of the skyline from there.

sandwicheater

Always wanted to go to PDT (Please Don’t Tell), cool cocktail bar.

It’s not advertised and hidden in a hot dog restaurant. You have to enter through a phone booth in the restaurant.

NYC Speakeasies: Best Secret, Hidden Bars In NY

annebr
    Free Member

I liked Eataly too, even if it’s just to walk around and look at the food.

matt23
    Free Member

Cheers guys – the Highline looks good and hiring bikes to get round Central Park seems a good idea.

Cheers for all the suggestions and the link I’m going through now.

Thanks,

unovolo
    Free Member

Get over to the East Village and have something to eat from Katz Diner
    Its where the ‘orgasm’ scene was filmed in When Harry met Sally, but good food too.

Then head over to NYC Velo to drool over some Indy Fab frames & Bikes.

Chelsea Market is worth a trip round too, some good restaurants round that way to.

Head over to Stone & Pearl St in the Financial District(near Wall St) in the evening for a tour round the local boozers full of the Wall St Yuppies (Tis quite fun walking round virtually empty streets then turn a corner and its rammed with people).

Take a tour of the Federal Reserve(Its free but you need to be booked well in advance)takes you 5 stories below street level to the vaults where they keep Gold Bullion.

2bit

Scotts Pizza Tour

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

Checkout Sid’s Bikes too, awesome chaps. Bought plenty of clobber off them over the years. Their Twinsix stuff is nice.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘New York suggestions…’ is closed to new replies.