Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • New York Recommendations
  • thatscold
    Free Member

I’m taking my wife to New York next week as part of her ‘significant’ birthday celebrations, and I’m after some suggestions of things to do. We’re there for 3 days and I want to make sure we get the most from our time. What are the must do’s? I’ve already got a couple of restaurant recommendations, and there is obviously shopping and the Empire State, Central Park etc, but what hidden gems would you suggest?

We’re staying mid-town if that makes a difference.

Thanks

whatnobeer
    Free Member

What sort of things are you into? There’s loads of great museums and galleries, but if you’re only there for 3 days you want to get one that suits what you like. MOMA is great for modern art, the MET has something for everyone and is huge (also has a nice restaurant) and the Frick is great if you’re a fan of the ‘old masters’.

A walk of the Brooklyn bridge is fun, great views of Manhattan from Dumbo on the other side. Wander around Bleecker street and the village, walk along the highline if the weather is nice.

Top tip, if you enjoy table tennis then go to Spin. It’s a table tennis bar (like a pool hall but with table tennis). Have a beer or two and play table tennis safe in the knowledge that you won’t run out of balls or need to bend down to pick them up. Lots of fun and something a bit different.

freddiest

I would do top of the rock rather than Empire State. Did both and preferred the views.

9/11 memorial is good if you are interested in 9/11. Think the museum is open now. Was being built in 2012 when I was there.

Only been the once so I’m sure others will have more ideas for you.

There’s so much to do. Definitely a good idea to have a plan before you arrive. Enjoy.

closetroadie
    Free Member

Never been but the Staten Island Ferry is usually suggested as its free

ryderredman
    Free Member

Murrays Bagels in Greenwich

Grimaldes or Spumoni Gardens for pizza

whatnobeer
    Free Member

Aye, the Staten Island ferry is a nice trip, about an hour for the round trip if I remember, and they run every 15minutes. Pretty good views of the Statue of Liberty:

If you like Mexican food/tacos go to Tacombi for lunch, really really cool taco place just off Houston, Bowery sort of area.

Finally for drinks on the roof as the sun goes down check out the bar at the Top of the Strand, great views. It’s Midtown too, so hopefully close to where you’re staying:

wonderchump
    Free Member

The Campbell Apartment in Grand Central (near to the Vanderbilt entrance)

Smith & Wollensky (do the bar not the restaurant) on 49th / 3rd for huge steaks

Brooklyn Bridge walk and a visit to Grimaldi’s pizza on the Brooklyn side

Top of the Rock at the Rockerfeller Centre

If you do go up the Empire State Building then do go to the very top (optional and extra) but well worth it

If you’re going to the Theatre then don’t bother with the Times Square half price ticket store TKTS as there is another one down on Fulton Street in the market and there are NO queues – Fulton Street Sea Port is worth a look but they’re closing down Pier 17 for a massive refurbishment following Sandy a few years ago.

If your missus likes shopping then a day out to Woodbury Common shopping outlet is a must as it is cheap. Bus from Port Authority Bus Station at the 7th avenue end of 42nd Street

Washington Square to Union Square is a nice walk through the brownstones to see some boutique type shops and restaurants.

I could go on (lived there for a while) but I’d sound like Very Lonely Planet.

carbonfiend
    Free Member

Don’t be frightened of leaving Manhattan. I love Coney Island, also there is so much culture in the city my suggestion also would be have a think of anything NYC related (music film art) that you really like & if you search there will be a website or something giving u info of how to check it out, eg I went and found all the iconic spots that The Warriors film was shot at. Enjoy its a great city & nearly always leaves a lasting impression

BillMC

Eat in Fish and have a pint in the Blind Tiger over the road, both in Bleecker Street. Oh and get breakfast in Amy’s bakery, also on Bleecker. I prefer West Village to stay in and since there are few hotels there I have used AirBnB a few times. I find this area much more interesting than traipsing round high buildings and Lennon memorials. Times Square is v boring unless you like adverts.
    Williamsburg (Brooklyn Brewery, big second hand clothes shop) is worth a look and the walk across the bridge is a mind bending experience, you’re above a river (obviously), a railway line and a road, and it wobbles.
    Visit Dave’s on Avenue of the Americas for seriously cheap Levis and Carharrt etc (check website before you go).

thatscold
    Free Member

Thanks for all the suggestions, I’m feeling inspired to visit as much of the city as we can. The bridge walk sounds like my sort of thing, and we’ll definitely soak up some culture.

I know it’s going to be an expensive trip, but at least the exchange rate is at 1.70 which helps. I just need to resist spending too much (stay away from the apple store). I’ve been to Woodbury Common before when I was in NJ on a business trip, the exchange rate wasn’t as favourable then so I didn’t think it was that cheap, probably better now.

Underhill
    Free Member

If you’re near the Staten Island ferry, walk another 100 yards to the heliport & take a helitour of the city. Did it last year & it was a real highlight. Not cheap, but you can combine with the free ferry for a couple of hours sight-seeing.

Also recommend Top of the Rock, fantastic views. Check out the Lego shop beside the ice rink area while you’re there. Grand Central station is well worth a visit too, just for a walk around. Decent food court downstairs if you’re peckish.

Strawberry Fields in Central Park was good to sit & people watch for half an hour. Bring some change for the buskers.

Enjoy your weekend, you’ll want to go back.

holmesy
    Free Member

Lots of good suggestions here, I lived over there for a bit and have done most of the stuff suggested. Some added colour on some of these:

From Brooklyn bridge walk, head over to Brooklyn heights promenade, great views of the bridge and manhattan.
    I never thought that much of grimaldis so would not bother with that, maybe I just got a bad one!

Blind tiger is a good shout, as is Brooklyn brewery.

Cable car over to Roosevelt Island gives some great views (just turn around and come back, Roosevelt Island is odd!).

Have fun it’s a great place

BillMC

I don’t rate shopping much and I wouldn’t plan to do much of that, the well known shops are kin expensive and the chains are the same as in Milton Keynes. I always walk for about 5 hours a day and when you’re on your last legs the taxis are cheap. West Village is also good for live music, Dylan used to live on W 4th St, things just seem to happen.
    BTW I was on about Williamsburg bridge, which also has lots of hipster single speeders dashing across and Williamsburg is a groovy place with nice eateries and coffee houses and you can tour the brewery.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘New York Recommendations’ is closed to new replies.