Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • New York JFK to Manhattan (quick tour possibility??)
  • priceyboy
    Free Member

I have got about a six hour wait at JFK for a transfer flight to the UK
    Would it be possible to fit in a quick tour of New York or maybe some of the sights and a nice lunch
    Not sure what the transfer times are like??
    Any comments or experiences welcome

Thanks in advance

cynic-al
    Free Member

http://gonyc.about.com/gi/o.htm?zi=1/XJ&zTi=1&sdn=gonyc&cdn=travel&tm=18&f=10&su=p531.56.342.ip_&tt=2&bt=1&bts=1&zu=http%3A//www.panynj.gov/airports/jfk-public-transportation.html

says: “Travel time via subway and AirTrain is approximately 60–75 minutes from midtown Manhattan to JFK. AirTrain travels to JFK from Jamaica Station every 15 minutes and will take you to your airline terminal.”

So you would probably have time to see something.

Pigface
    Free Member

Only 6 hours? I would go the other way on the Subway out to Rockaway, really interesting place and amazing views to Manhattan. Rockaway has become a bit trendy so should be loads to see.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    konabunny
    Free Member

lolwut? Rockaway Beach instead of Manhattan? That’s like recommending Staines over London (or, perhaps more analogously, Thamesmead or Eltham).

Quite possible to run into Manhattan for a meal in that time – just make sure you’re checked in/thru and don’t cut it fine. AirTrain to Jamaica, LIRR to Penn Station – or actually if it’s not rush hour a cab isn’t slow either.

What are your interests?

Pigface
    Free Member

Ahem if Staines was loads more interesting and on the Atlantic 😀

priceyboy
    Free Member

<Konabunny>

Will have the wife and two kids (16 and 13) with me

We will be onroute back from Orlando, would be nice to see some sights and maybe a quick meal

konabunny
    Free Member

In that time – with kids – it’s not particularly big or clever but For gawps/min maximizing I’d just walk Penn Station/Times Square/Bryant Sq/Rockefeller Center? It’s only about 20 mins walking but you’ll want to stop at stuff along he way. Zillions of places to eat – food court at Rockefeller Center has lots of options inc quick dining in case time is short.

holmesy
    Free Member

Yeah, if it’s not rush hour I’d grab a cab into Manhattan, the air train can be a bit slow depending on what terminal IIRC, and you’ve then got to get a long island railroad train or a subway.

You could probably grab some food and get up the Rockerfeller Bulding ( shorter queues than ESB and you can see the ESB!) – suspect kids would like that.

Pembo
    Free Member

Are you in Florida for 2 weeks? If so think about changing the orl to ny leg by a couple of days to give you a bit more time in ny. We did this with the kids and they loved it. Flight change shouldn’t cost much if it’s a scheduled flight.

plumber
    Free Member

On my own i wouldn’t bother

With kids not a chance

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

If you’re on the way back from Orlando, you’ll have seen all there is to see from americae.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘New York JFK to Manhattan (quick tour possibility??)’ is closed to new replies.