• This topic has 31 replies, 20 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by D0NK.
Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • New Yeti- ooooooooooooooooooh
  • pinetree
    Free Member
    AlexSimon

Looks good, but it’s not a type of bike I’m interested in. Especially not at that price.

coogan
    Free Member

Yeti is never a bike brand that’s done much for me. Nice looking bike, but not for me.

bikeneil
    Free Member

If only it was alloy and half the price!

reggiegasket
    Free Member

slack, bling thing for trail centre mincers?

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

The AS-R is a dream machine, I don’t believe anything’s faster if that much travel is sufficient. Not for mincers!

lerk
    Free Member

Those chainstays look like they left it too close to the fire… 😀

sputnik
    Free Member

I’m glad Yeti has an AS-R back in their lineup , looks amazing.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

The AS-R is a dream machine, I don’t believe anything’s faster if that much travel is sufficient. Not for mincers!

I briefly had a 26″ version, it was an insanely fast bike uphill and down, pedaled no less efficienlty than a hardtail, but with unlimited grip and didn’t get stumped by steps, and on the way back down it was just slack enough that you never felt out of controll, unlike a the Anthem-X I demo’d later which felt similar uphill but didn’t quite live up to expectations going down. Only downside was the back end was so flexible it barely felt attached!

Very much not a bike for minceing!

£3.5k (even if it doesn’t go up in price) is a bit much for me though 🙁 Oi, On-One, can we have a £800 alloy version, a short travel lighter codein or is the 100-120mm market just not big enough?

bigjim

that looks like one very fast bike indeed

Deveron53
    Free Member

Jeez, I was told to wait until August for a new 29er FS from Yeti and here it is. Do I get rid of my SB95 for one though? If so I’m going to have to get shot of my Pikes and Hoops because this new ASR would demand light stuff. I may just wait until the new 29er Infinity Switch comes out and get a cut-price SB95c when they start selling them off!

LoCo
    Free Member

Like that alot

_daveR
    Free Member

Liking that a lot!

Can’t see mention of a frame only price?

D0NK

Looks nice just not sure about the suspension. I like 4 bar, definitely has a nicer feel, I also like the simplicity of single pivot. “Faux bar” just seems to combine the worst parts of both.

brassneck

Is that 3.5K frame only or built? As a 2015 Whyte M109CS looks more or less the same for that money built and seems similar weights (in various specs)

njee20
    Free Member

Is that 3.5K frame only or built?

Presumably people are taking it from this:

The AS-R will be available to ship immediately as a complete bike with SRAM’s X01 Build Kit with an MSRP of $5,799, or $8,099 with an ENVE M50 wheelset. They will also be available with a SRAM XX1 Build Kit with an Enve M50 wheelset for $9,999. Complete AS-Rc’s will weigh as little as 22.3 pounds, Yeti says.

All of which is now in the STW article too. I reckon we’ll be £5,000, £7,500 and £9,000 when they play with UK pricing.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Looks nice just not sure about the suspension. I like 4 bar, definitely has a nicer feel, I also like the simplicity of single pivot. “Faux bar” just seems to combine the worst parts of both.

Different 4 bars feel different, the advantage of Yeti’s implementation is one less pivot to maintain (and it’s usualy the smallest bearing, under the most mud), the shock rate can be tuned, and the shock isn’t side loaded like a single pivot. There are more advantages to other systems, but seing as VPP, FSR, DW/maestro, and the nicolai style implementation of the horst link all do very differnt things to the rear triangle, it’s debatable what those advantages actualy are, and if they did matter as much as the marketing says, then the competitors bikes would have to be really bad as they’re doing the oppsite!

benji
    Free Member

Look forward to riding a demo of this, always fancied a yeti, maybe time to move the Anthem on.

STATO
    Free Member

I had an original(ish) ASR, the suspension was superb, as someone above posted the only issue was flex in the rear triangle, tho again this did not noticeably affect its ride.

Deveron53
    Free Member

A rough guess for frame only will be £2800. Depends if they’re going to charge more than £2600 for the new Switch Infinity bikes

charliemort

shouldn’t it be cheaper than the frames with switch gubbins ? it’s basically the “old” ASR5 / 575 suspension design (I think)

njee20
    Free Member

we’ve now got details of UK pricing: initially only the X01 full-bike build will be available at a price of £5199. Preorders are available now, and availability is “imminent”.

£200 more than I thought, and only £1800 more than the US pricing. Where’s my shitty stick I use to not touch these things?

D0NK

Different 4 bars feel different

limited experience but the 3 variations on 4bar I’ve ridden (2 with the same kit on) have been more supple* climbing in the granny and felt* better under braking than my singlepivot. Two 4bar traits frequently mentioned in the mtb press.

the shock rate can be tuned

can’t this be done with shock fettling?**

and the shock isn’t side loaded like a single pivot

neither my nor several of my mates single pivot bikes have suffered rear shock implosion, I can see the concern, but is this a real world problem? Overall stiffness of the back end is probably more down to frame design than number of pivots shirley? (eg big boxy SP stiffer than spindly 4/faux bar)

Probably not something I’m qualified to argue about properly and quite possibly a daft aversion in the grand scheme but it does put me off faux bar single pivot link driven shock designs. (not that this yeti is anywhere near the inside of my price range so they can breathe a huge sigh of relief 🙂 )

Like I said it looks nice and no doubt goes like stink.

*possibly subjective bollocks/confirmation bias dunno.
    **does this question mark me out as an idiot? I thought they could do pretty much anything nowadays with clever shocks.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

only £1800 more than the US pricing

Only?

That’s an obscene ammount! You could go on holliday to New York, pay full RRP, bring it back (being naughty and not telling Mr Tax Man, tut tut), ride it, break it, go on holliday again to Florida this time, sort out the warrenty replacement and come back. And still be in profit!

What are the importers doing for their £1800!

can’t this be done with shock fettling?

No, you can adjustt he spring rate on air springs but not usualy the position sensitivity of the damping, if you have a progressive linkage the spring rate increaces towards the end, but so does the damping, a progressive air spring with a linear linkage would beocome less and less damped relative to the spring rate the cloer it got to bottoming out.

and the shock isn’t side loaded like a single pivot
    neither my nor several of my mates single pivot bikes have suffered rear shock implosion, I can see the concern, but is this a real world problem? Overall stiffness of the back end is probably more down to frame design than number of pivots shirley? (eg big boxy SP stiffer than spindly 4/faux bar)

Depends on the 4-bar, DW and VPP style frames are very stiff as they’re well triangulated back ends with short stiff links, FSR style back ends (and admittedly faux bar) less so. Orange maybe an exception and are stiff, Cannondale Prophets were notoriously no very stiff. It’s not just shock bushings and shafts that get trashed, the side loads will cause them to bind when loaded and not react properly either. Which is one reason why the odd shock linkages on some new bikes that put the bottom bushing vertical are really quite cool, as the suspension twists, the shock can twist too.

As I (and you) said though, it’s often not a problem in the real world and any design can be made to work. Just look at a DW rear triangle move upwards almost verticaly with no rotation, then watch a VPP bike follow a simila axle path, but the whole triangle rotates forwards a lot. If the marketing was true and it really does take thousands of hours to tune out tiny anomalies in the suspension kinematics, then one of those designs should be horirble, but they’re not.

D0NK

could you do all that and tell the tax man and still be in profit?

wwaswas

£1800

There’s £1k VAT on the retail price.

mrblobby
    Free Member

£200 more than I thought, and only £1800 more than the US pricing. Where’s my shitty stick I use to not touch these things?

It would appear that Silverfish have been borrowing the Jungle us to uk price conversion calculator!

njee20
    Free Member

That’s an obscene ammount! You could go on holliday to New York, pay full RRP, bring it back (being naughty and not telling Mr Tax Man, tut tut), ride it, break it, go on holliday again to Florida this time, sort out the warrenty replacement and come back. And still be in profit!

What are the importers doing for their £1800!

Did you read the second part of my post…?

What do you mean? As in the US pricing is ex Sales Tax? If so, just fly to Nevada (any other states not have Sales Tax?), and buy one there.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Did you read the second part of my post…?

I was presuming you meant the inevitability of dealing with a yeti warrenty claim.

Does the US price include GST or whatever it’s called? Either way it seems like a hugely expensive bike, with an even bigger UK markup.

njee20
    Free Member

I was presuming you meant the inevitability of dealing with a yeti warrenty claim.

Nay, I meant the truly exorbitant price they’re rinsing us for!

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

It does seem daft assuming it’ll be just another carbon bike from a chinese factory. Presumably they believe they can recoup the R&D costs over a smaller number of units and maintain the ’boutique’ image of the brand. Which is a valid business model, but SC were in a similar place a few years ago and seemed to do the opposite and go mainstream with frames right down to sub £1000 RRP.

I don’t see how they caouldn’t make more money selling a <£1k aloy version, it looks like a fantastic design.

D0NK

SC were in a similar place a few years ago and seemed to do the opposite and go mainstream with frames right down to sub £1000 RRP

not anymore, it seems they all got hit with the 650b tax 😥
    I used to think SC were posh but not ridiculously so, their carbon frames are daft prices tho.

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘New Yeti- ooooooooooooooooooh’ is closed to new replies.