Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • New years eve/day etc ideas
  • monkeyfiend
    Free Member

Anyone got any plans for an exciting New Year? My wife has agreed that we should do something a bit different, rather than staying at home or just going round to friends/family house. suggestions have been hiring somewhere scenic in scotland or Wales for a few days or seeing a show in London and then going to the big display they have. Even considering findind some snow abroad but as we are only talking a few days I think we'll stay in the UK. 2 children are in the mix aswell (10 and 12 years) so has anyone got any ideas for me?
    Ps I know its early but if we have to book somewhere……

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Amsterdam.

nickjb
    Free Member

We're going to Australia. Melbourne for xmas, not sure where we will be for new year. Might be a bit far for a weekend. Skiing will be expensive, its the single most expensive week of the season.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    yoshimi

For the last 8 years, Mrs Yoshimi and I have gone away for NYE / New Years day. We've been to NYC x 2, Prague, Amsterdam, Budapest, Krakow, Riga. The last three years some of our friends have started coming with us, this year we're going to Prague again and got 16 of us going.

Its always good fun, people get to dump their kids on their parents for a few days after the frenzy that it Chtristmas.

I'd recommend a cheap flight to somewhere in Europe. Usually snows, places are crowded with different people from all over Europe and always a great atmosphere.

I can't see a time when I would ever stay in the UK again for NYE.

Drac

Working.

monkeyfiend
    Free Member

I didnt think of somewhere snowy in Europe and because of how new year falls this year we could get a good long weekend out of it.

yoshimi

Monkey, do it, seriously you'll love it!

Prague – Picture stealing the blankets from your hotel, picking up a few bottles of £2 champagne and a few candles. Nobody seems top bother going in the pubs, everyone wrapped in blankets round the old town squre waiting for the countdown whilst watching some unfathomable euro pop act on stage. After countdown cue big firework display, then wander around the streets meeting and drinking with other likeminded people all out for a good time. A sea of humanity carrying candles. Thats just NYE, don't forget to do a full day walking tour of the city in a guided group, really interesting and meet a few new prople also sailing on the Vlatava anf going to see a Sca Punk gig we booked before we went – loads to do!

Krakow – Similar sort of thing going on for NYE but we also did things such as visit Auschwitz, we went on a Communism tour in the back of a Trabant and the took us to Nowa Hutta, one of the massive communist new cities, go to the salt mines.

THose are just two of the examples – don't forget this all happens in beautiful cities covered in snow 🙂

yoshimi

And costs, usually £100-150 for flights each and £100 per night per room – very general I know but that'll give you a good idea

Marge
    Free Member

We're going skiing too 🙂
    Not the warmest time of the year but nice thing to look forward to after the hype of Xmas has passed by.

Houns

I was at Sydney for NYE 2 years ago, it was amazing. It's spoilt me in a way as now i can't be bothered with NYE as anything else just wouldn't compare. Can't wait to go back sometime and do it again

Jamie
    Free Member

I actually want to get a job where I can be working NYE. Need an assistant Drac? 😉

monkeyfiend
    Free Member

Had a quick search on net for possible destinations for a short winter hol in Europe. There's alot to choose from, I like the idea of having a go at skiing aswell.

nickjb
    Free Member

I actually want to get a job where I can be working NYE

Unlicensed mini-cabbing?

tootallpaul

Its Ethiopian New Year on Saturday!

I'm going to my colleague Abraham's house for a traditional "Doro Wot" (Spicy Chicken Stew).

I don't think New Years Eve (Friday) is celebrated… Its a fasting day for the Orthodox christians, so its always a quiet evening.

:o)

organic355
    Free Member

you are kidding right? Its only just September!!

yoshimi

you are kidding right? Its only just September!!

Not if you dont want to be shafted by flight / hotel prices / availability

julianwilson
    Free Member

Drac – Member

Working.

Same here. I have worked every new year either late/early or nights since the millenium (was on my honeymoon) Get paid more, and karma from my younger colleauges who get to go out on the razz 'cos I am at work for them. Karma from boss and more likely to get Christmas day off (though I have worked it last 2 years 👿 .)

I think if I ever 'do' new year it would be somewhere quiet-ish with family and close friends. Wouldn't mind renting a place somewhere and having a little party of our own.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘New years eve/day etc ideas’ is closed to new replies.