Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • New Year's Day traditions …what's yours?
  • badgerbater
    Free Member

Just had the family bring in the “wood and paper” wrapped money first thing this morning. Had to explain again to my 8 and 10 year old daughters the significance of this tradition. Then I googled and couldn’t find anything on this, with the exception of “first footing” which we also do; hence the thread. Just wondered if anyone else did this and any other ones not usually heard of?

To explain: Pieces of wood kindling (one for each member of the household) is “hidden” outside near the house and the same amount of silver coins are wrapped in Christmas paper or foil and again hidden (usually under a plant pot). Then the first activity on new years day is that each person has to go and “find” and collect their piece of wood, bringing this into the house and while placing it on the fireside hearth (or equivalent) says “here’s some wood, I hope it does me good”. They then go outside again and “find” their money. Once inside they keep the wrapped coin in a safe place for the rest of the year. This shouldn’t be unwrapped and means that in keeping the coin, you will never be without money for the remainder of the year!

Wondered how many of you celebrate in the same way …or what you do instead?

m0rk
    Free Member

Are you in a cult?

loddrik
    Free Member

Sleep

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    gobuchul
    Free Member

Then I googled and couldn’t find anything on this

I have never heard of this paper and wood thing.

First footing is very common.

Do you live in the UK?

badgerbater
    Free Member

Yes, it’s something that was passed down from my grandparents who hailed from Lincolnshire and our family have been upholding this tradition ever since! And no, I’m not in a cult…

gobuchul
    Free Member

who hailed from Lincolnshire

Ahhh that explains it…..

scaredypants

1st foot in my mum’s house has to bring food, fuel & money

Harry_the_Spider

We normally have a row then I tackle a mountain of ironing.

spooky_b329

Take down the tree and decorations! Its over for another 11 months 🙂

wallop

I generally just wish everyone a happy new year.

Drac

Food, coal and money is the tradition I believe.

Me, I’m usually working and doing just that in a few hours.

bigblackheinoustoe
    Free Member

What’s become the norm for the past few years is a woman I’ve been bonking every now again (we’re not seeing each other) comes around to get the new year off to a good start.

Usually begins with some drunken texts on New Years Eve. She rants and says how much she hates me and how she’s going to beat me when she next sees me. Following day she’ll turn up at my door, pull the zip down on her jacket and we’ll spend the rest of the day in bed. It’s a screwball relationship but we know routine.

rossi46
    Free Member

Just dragged my sorry butt out of bed- guess you can see how the rest of the day will go

chewkw
    Free Member

badgerbater – Member
    Wondered how many of you celebrate in the same way …or what you do instead?

For Western new year … eat, sleep and watch TV.

For Eastern new year … eat, sleep and watch TV for 15 days with all the necessary elaborated tradition thrown in.

😯

bjj.andy.w
    Free Member

Take the pooch for a walk, via the pub on the way home 😉

rossi46
    Free Member

P-Jay
    Free Member

I sigh a weary sigh of relief that all this ‘Seaonal’ bollocks is over for, well, till Septemberat least when the first of the “Crimbo” loving **** starts getting all giddy at the idea of mutal financial and moral bankruptcy in return for gluttony. I smile a sneaky smile knowing that Winter Solice is now 10 days behind us and start thinking about Spring – when joy and happiness will return to my life and take heart in the fact that whilst it’s still dark and gloomy out – tomorrow will be a tiny bit less so.

Mostly though I like the fact that no longer will put off doing anything for a month, even six weeks incase somehow doing a bit of work on the 17th of December will effect an important appointment they’ve got to watch a 20 year old episode of Only Fools on the 25th.

bigdaddy

Turkey pie lunch at parents – it’s the highlight of the season, look forward to it all year!

forge197
    Free Member

Try and do a bike ride or something active, today a parkrun.

ourmaninthenorth

Not one for traditions. So, while we normally take down the tree and decorations on New Year’s Day, today we haven’t.

I’ve been for a walk with Little Miss North while Mrs North sleeps through The Eagle Has Landed.

I agree that it’s nice to have Christmas behind us and enjoy looking forward to the promise of the forthcoming twelve months. Time to complete thinking about plans and to execute them!

lucky7500

As of last year I try to get out for a ride. Not sure if doing it twice really counts as a tradition yet, but I had a fantastic couple of hours exploring and following the blue/ red at Swinley. 🙂

uselesshippy
    Free Member

Sit about moaning about my hangover.

iainc

+1, and contemplate a dry January !

seosamh77
    Free Member

Either waking up with a stonking hangover around now, or still going.

Change of pace this year, quiet night in last night, then went a wee stoat up dumyat today. I think I may start a new tradition! 🙂 Great way to start the year.

slowoldman

Where I grew up first footing was bringing in a lump of coal. Mind you it was a pit village.

Daffy

iainc – Member
    +1, and contemplate a dry January !

I do a Dry February for several reasons:

1. I’m quite anti-conformist
    2. I have loads of drink left over from Christmas
    3. the first month back is always stressful

carlosg
    Free Member

Get the kids in bed early and settle down to watch ‘Worlds strongest man’ on the telly box.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘New Year's Day traditions …what's yours?’ is closed to new replies.

New deal added to Members Discounts