• This topic has 44 replies, 26 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by adsh.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)
  • new XTR chainset fuglyness
  • AdeC
    Free Member

Noticed that Canyon have released a Strive CF 9 SL version.

Canyon strive CF 9 SL

It comes with a full 2015 XTR groupset, which is lovely…apart for that chainset. Oh my what were they thinking?

The old M980 XTR chainset was a work of art. Is it just me or is that new one awful? I’m sure its light stiff etc and the glossy finish is nice, but the design makes it look like a shiny Deore.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Still can’t see why you would buy the XTR chainset, heavier than the other “Race” sets, kind of misses the point.

MountainMutant
    Free Member

I quite like it. Hope it fits ok to my new frame as I’ve heard there are fit issues with some frames

Jamie
    Free Member

wwaswas

I think they look really good.

Back to the old polished M960 version of yore 🙂

rocketman
    Free Member

And what it looks like when you’ve actually used it

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

If we’re talking aesthetics, all downhill since this;

cookeaa

Does it really matter?

I mean you won’t have to look at it while your riding, and once you get off and stick it on the roof it’s got the right letters on it so everyone else will know how wealthy you are…

I’d say it’s perfectly fit for purpose, if aesthetics really matter, buy something prettier like a Middleburn…

Northwind

M970 is still where it’s at. Just looks like really good cranks, no pissing about.

AdeC
    Free Member

@CFH, yup that M900 was the best looking Shimano chainset. Almost looks like jewelry.

On a side note, some fella in Knutsford has ‘M900 XTR’ as a number plate on his Porsche.

fr0sty125
    Free Member

Would rather have a RF Turbine Cinch.

munrobiker
    Free Member

I think every time a new XTR chainset has been launched in the last 15 years people have said they are ugly when they come out then they have got used to them.

davosaurusrex

Eurgh. Spider arms look like plastic wheel trims from Halfords budget range.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

munrobiker – Member
    I think every time a new XTR chainset has been launched in the last 15 years people have said they are ugly when they come out then they have got used to them.

It’s the same as nobody got fired for buying IBM, or people still buy a 3 series etc. It might not be the best but it’s been drummed into people as the choice.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

It’s the same as nobody got fired for buying IBM, or people still buy a 3 series etc. It might not be the best but it’s been drummed into people as the choice

See also – GoreTex.

njee20
    Free Member

M950 was the best looking for me. I’ve disliked M960/70/80 in the photos, but each one has looked awesome in the flesh IMO, I suspect this will look a lot better IRL.

heavier than the other “Race” sets, kind of misses the point.

It’s heavier than a Next SL, but vastly cheaper, and Next SLs don’t fit all bikes. It’s also really quite cheap, half the price of a Next SL. Same weight as XX1.

ndthornton
    Free Member

Regardless of what it looks like it doesn’t have the range of X01 so FAIL.
    Looks like I’ll be sticking with 2×10 then as I don’t like SRAM enough to change.

AdeC
    Free Member

ohh I didnt realise they were actually quite cheap (for XTR). Tweeks are taking pre-orders for £199

cheap XTR cranks

Maybe they are starting to grow on me 🙂

thegreatape
    Free Member

The BB is a bit smaller so you need a different installation tool to normal. Not the internal diameter obviously.

Free Member

ohh I didnt realise they were actually quite cheap (for XTR). Tweeks are taking pre-orders for £199

cheap XTR cranks

Add another £100 if you actually want any chainrings though!

http://www.tweekscycles.com/components/mtb-chainsets-cranks/shimano-xtr-m9000-race-double-chainset

njee20
    Free Member

Regardless of what it looks like it doesn’t have the range of X01 so FAIL.

The chainset doesn’t 😕

BoardinBob

Never mind the cranks, that Canyon is lovely

ndthornton
    Free Member

The chainset doesn’t

I meant the groupset – I don’t think anyone is going to run XTR cranks with X01 everything else – or are they?

ac282

Regardless of what is looks like it has closer ratios than X01 so WIN.

ndthornton
    Free Member

So does alivio – save yourself some cash

Jamie
    Free Member

I love it when new Shimano stuff comes out.

*buys last year’s Shimano for peanuts*

rickon
    Free Member

Wasn’t that crank in X-Men? 😯

cynic-al
    Free Member

What CFH said (as ever) and this:

sillyoldman

Yawn.

Wait until you see it, then comment! Same every new generation.

The “spider” is actually the nuts of the chainring bolts I believe.

AlexSimon

The “spider” is actually the nuts of the chainring bolts I believe.

Or maybe just some plastic caps over them.
    There are pics of it looking like that part has been removed.
    Looks much better imo.

M960 for FTW

sillyoldman

Got a couple of old sets of cut down M960s, but looking forward to getting some of these to complete my 1×11 XTR on my FS bike. It’s lovely!

benpinnick

Yawn.
    Wait until you see it, then comment! Same every new generation

Seen it. It’s fugly.

Northwind

It does look better without the horrendous covers. Still asymetric, bulbous and ugly though. And needs its own special BCD for no apparent reason, so it can **** off.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

And needs its own special BCD for no apparent reason, so it can **** off.

honourablegeorge

What’s the deal with chain retention on the 1x version? Shimano claims it has some – it’s not marrow/wide though, is it just longer teeth and ugly stupid-BCD rings?

njee20
    Free Member

What’s the deal with chain retention on the 1x version? Shimano claims it has some – it’s not marrow/wide though, is it just longer teeth and ugly stupid-BCD rings?

Yep! Seems everyone who’s been using it in pre-production guise (including Dan McConnell – whose bike is pictured above) has been using a guide too.

monkeyfudger
    Free Member

Urgh, I thought these had a standard BCD for some reason.

sillyoldman

Right enough – Sram always stick to standard BCDs eh?

Northwind

What’s SRAM got to do with it? At least they’re offering decent chain retention. Shimano seem to be fully committed to ****ing up this groupset in every way possible.

njee20
    Free Member

They’re just not committed to a 1×11 solution for all (which is quite a UK based demand anyway), they’re going for a more holistic groupset – hence the doubles and triples.

Clever IMO – don’t try and compete head to head with SRAM, go for the (huge chunk of the) market that SRAM are basically ignoring.

The downside is that you don’t get some of the ‘SRAM specific’ benefits – wider cassette range, better chainring retention etc.

What’s SRAM got to do with it?

I assume it was just an observation that it’s not just Shimano doing proprietary BCDs…

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)

The topic ‘new XTR chainset fuglyness’ is closed to new replies.