Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • new XT front brake – sharp clicking when applied
  • iainc

First couple of rides this weekend on new Soul. I have XT brakes with fin pads. Front makes a loud click when applied. Doesn’t do it if i apply it very gently. It is all set up right, aligned, bolts tight. Tried another set of non finned pads but same. Seems as if something moves in piston area when it initially grips the rotor, the click only happens once…… Until next time brake is applied. Braking power is fine.

Any ideas ?

simonbea
    Free Member

I have a similar noise on my hybrid which I’m sure comes from the metal spring which holds the 2 pads together

Simon

My SLXs click, think it’s just the pads or spring moving slightly on the securing pin. They originally had split pins in but I swapped them for screw in bolts, quieter now but still a bit of a click.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    iainc

Mine have the threaded pin. Seems not uncommon, and I guess the pads hitting the pin makes a lot of sense,maps they grip the rotor and move clockwise against pin rapidly

mactheknife
    bigjim

Mine do it too, just the pads moving. As far as I can see on that video, they still click at the end!

iainc

That video looks a right faff ! Think I’ll just get used to the clicking !

theraggyone
    Free Member

Just changed my front finned pads for a set of superstars first ride out I had this loud clicking that wasnt there with the shimano pads . Swaped the metal retainer from the superstar pads for the old shimano retainer when I got home now the clicking has gone. The shimano retainer did seem stronger than the one suppled with the superstar pads.

iainc

Interesting….I tried superstar ones instead of the finned ones and they still clicked, albeit less loudly than shimano. Guess I will get used to it 🙂

theraggyone
    Free Member

I think maybe theres a variable tolerance in the making of the retainers which is why some click and some dont .I dont think it makes any differance to performance I guess if you get lucky they dont click.

iainc

By retainer do you mean the u shaped spring between the pads ?

theraggyone
    Free Member

Yup that metal clip

iainc

Thanks, I had reckoned it was actually the pads against the pin/bolt, or the pads against the caliper body..I wonder how the spring bit leads to clicking ?

theraggyone
    Free Member

I think that the hole the bolt goes through might vary slightly in diameter . So if its slightly bigger its possable when you pull the brake there is slightly more movement of the pads and retainer causing them to click when they shift in the caliper under load. I could be completely wrong though.

theraggyone
    Free Member

I dont think its directly the pads as the retainer wraps around them so the retainer would need to shift for the pads to shift.

theraggyone
    Free Member

I think there is a possability of a differant click caused by the fins on shimano pads though as demonstrated by the video earlier in the tread . Same princible pads shift slightly under load and the fins click /tap on the caliper. Try putting the shimano retainer on the superstar pads and see if anything changes

iainc

Theraggyone – that does make sense,yes. The pads are a bit rattly on bumpy stuff when not braking, so the pin sounds to be the source I guess.

theraggyone
    Free Member

There cetainly not the tightest fitting pads in the world and mine rattle too now and again and certainly have some fore and aft play but they are great brakes I love mine

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘new XT front brake – sharp clicking when applied’ is closed to new replies.