Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • new xt brake setup question
  • iainc

have just replaced some older xt's with new 775's. I am finding that even with the lever reach adjust wound out full way they are coming a bit too close to the bars for my liking. Have bled them so it's not associated with that. Haven't ridden yet, but feel wise they are maybe 5-10mm too far in such that they may catch my 3 other fingers if 2 fingers on the lever. maybe just the slightly different blade shape – any ideas.

they are nice and solid, so not a bleed problem, and adjusting the free stroke screw makes little if any difference.

thanks

Fishbone
    Free Member

Try pumping them for a while? May work, mine were like this and a bit of pumping sorted them out.

ahwiles
    Free Member

iainc – Member
    they are too far in such that they may catch my 3 other fingers if 2 fingers on the lever.

not from Norfolk are you?

Xt brakes have buckets of power, move them in, towards the stem, so that you can only brake with your index finger, leaving room for all your other fingers…

tf
    Free Member

The new servo levers have lot bigger free stroke than the old levers, even with the minimum free stroke set; it takes little bit getting used when moving over from the older levers. Other than that, make sure the calipers are aligned properly (i.e., the disk does not bend when you press the leaver), then use a couple of cable ties to hold the levers full pressed over night, this allows the pistons to settle.

iainc

not from Norfolk are you?

😆

no, Glasgow actually !!!

sounds like a common theme. might try ideas suggested, thanks

iainc

oaky, have moved in a bit, but unless I run them inside shifters it's not making much of a difference. Have tied them back to the bars and will leave till tonight. Fully 'on' they are about 2cm off the grips at closest point (back) and a bit more, around 3cm (front). Ideally would be 3.5 – 4 cm to be similar to my others !

seems that the levers just have more 'travel' than I am wanting…

ahwiles
    Free Member

so why not move them inside the shifters?

hold the grip, extend your index finger, move the levers so your finger sits nicely in the 'hook' at the end.

iainc

ahwiles – might try that it nowt else works, suppose just different ! thanks

tf
    Free Member

All of my shimano levers are inside shifters; right next to the shifter feels about right for me, though there is scope for moving them even further in.

I am pretty sure you cannot achieve the 3.5-4cm you desire with these new levers, when you said 'bit too close', I assumed you meant couple of millimeters or so; even 2cm from the bars when fully pressed is rather far. Personally, I would be looking for not more than 1cm, because the closer the lever to the bars, the less effort it takes to apply the brakes, and keep them applied; it makes huge difference on prolonged descends, where even couple of mm difference is noticeable.

ahwiles
    Free Member

i've just checked my brakes, i've got 15mm between my grip and the brake lever (at the bite point). and that goes down to about 8mm with a good squeeze.

i've no idea why anyone would want 40mm…? – is there even room between your thumb and finger? (grip + 40mm + lever) how big are your hands?!

wtf?!?!

etc.

oh, and it turns out Rob Warner is correct, if you set your brake levers so that they're 'up' a bit from in-line with your forearm, you get less arm pump on long descents.

iainc

tf/ahwiles, I see what you mean, probs just the way I hold the bars. 'normal sized hands' – I'm not shrek 😀 I usually have pinkie plus ring finger and maybe middle finger round the grip and index or index plus middle on the brake lever – just the way I ride. with the new lever set up I brake and the lever comes in against those other fingers. just gotta adapt I guess. cheers

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘new xt brake setup question’ is closed to new replies.