Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • New XC Wheels? Any suggestions?
  • deetec
    Free Member

I’m in the market for some new wheels for my Scale 20 Hardtail – I’m looking at Easton EA90’s / Crossmax SLR’s or some CB Cobalt’s, I’m verging toward the Cobalts due to the huge discount at Chain Reaction at the mo. Anyone got any opinions??? Just for ‘normal’ / Northdowns use and race use, no jumps or extreme stuff. I’ve tried Pro3’s on Crest Rims but prefer full UST’s.

Any thoughts appreciated!

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

I’m Running American Classic’s currently, very nice rims, better graphics this season, stunning freewheel, excellent price-to-weight ratio.

Guessing a little cheaper than your list up there, but worth a look.

rob2
    Free Member

American classic +1

cynic-al
    Free Member

This comes up a LOT…I’d sugest a search! 😛

Deveron53
    Free Member

There are always really good reasons why some wheels are heavily discounted while others stay reasonably static.
    Hope Hoops on original Pro2s have 55 quid off but that’s the cheapest I’ve ever seen them and that’s because they’re obsolete. Evos are not very reduced. All these weird high cost wheelsets have massive disadvantages apart from the cost. One is unavailability of spares. Try getting replacement spokes and then other bits such as pawls etc.

cynic-al
    Free Member

And what he said…

Alejandro
    Free Member

I’ve tried Pro3’s on Crest Rims but prefer full UST’s

Out of interest, what is the difference between Stan’s rims and “full” UST rims and why do you prefer the later?

deetec
    Free Member

Cheers, I have been searching non stop for the last few weeks and have to say it has not helped one bit, just as I make my mind up I see another review that slates the ones I’d decided on – Then back to square 1!

When I say full UST I mean factory sealed (non drilled)rims like the ones on the Cobalts / SLR’s and Easton.

In looking at the forums I can’t help but think your much more likley to moan about something than say how great it is, so there would always be more bad reviews than good!

dingabell
    Free Member

American Classic +2

njee20
    Free Member

Why UST, out of interest? You limit yourself extensively and it just makes for a heavier rim. Id avoid factory wheelsets like the plague myself. AMCs are ok as they use normal parts, or just custom build. DT240s on Alpines or something would definitely get my vote.

HendyTreker
    Free Member

I have the crossmax SLRS on my anthem and tbh, there are stronger, lighter and cheaper choices out there. They do look bling, but damage them (as I did) and it’s big bucks…..try £130 for a rim only! If I was looking for something to replace them I’d go for something like American Classic hubs on crest rims. I’ve had the AC hubs on my lapierre for 18 months and have been faultless!

frank4short
    Free Member

Industry Nine!

m1kea
    Free Member

I brought another pair of Roval’s yesterday.

Have had set of Traversee’s on one bike since 09 and they’ve been faultless.

Yesterday’s purchase was a set of Controls SLs as found here.

About 150g lighter than my current Traversees and I’ll let you know how they fare after 100 miles of the SDW on Sat.

njee20
    Free Member

They’ll need new front hub bearings. Mine used to last about 5 hours before going gritty (genuinely). Did have a large stack of FOC replacements, still annoying though!

I’d not recommend the Rovals – they’re not UST, and you can custom build lighter and more reliable.

singletrackhor
    Free Member

try singletrack magazine, latest issue 67, page 112
    🙂

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘New XC Wheels? Any suggestions?’ is closed to new replies.