• This topic has 17 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by DT78.
Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • New XC Wheels
  • bikesnsnow
    Free Member

Morning Morning,

I ride almost exclusively XC routes around Winchester, with my Gary Fisher hardtail.

I’m looking to upgrade from the stock Bontrager wheels that came with the bike, as they’re just too heavy and don’t have enough power transfer.

I’ve been looking at 3 wheelsets, all around £700, and 1500g or less.

These are: Mavic Crossmax SLR, E13 XCX+ and Fulcrum Red Metal Zero XRP.

Has anybody got experience with these, and could point to me which one to get and why?

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

Assuming 26″ wheels if its a Fisher.

ActionSports.de was pretty much the standard answer before the influx of China produced carbon fibre wheels hit the market.

I run American Classic as race wheels, bang on 1500 and way less than 700 quid, in fact for that budget you could get a training pair and a racing pair!

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

You should be able to get a really nice pair hand built from just riding along for a lot less than that.

argee

I got a set of Roval Control EL’s recently that weigh less than 1500g, but the flip side to that is that they flex a bit, so not great when doing rocky descents and routes with rocks or roots, but that’s the issue with most wheelsets at this weight, they were half the price you’re looking at, have DT internals, so easily fixable over the likes of crossmax’s.

The wheels i would recommend if you want to spend that money are a set of Industry Nine’s, either the old XC’s, or the new Torch wheelset, i’ve had a set of these for 6 years and they’ve worked well, weigh less than 1500g and don’t deflect badly like other lightweight wheels, the only downside is that they cost a fortune!

bikesnsnow
    Free Member

Cheers for the help guys.

Yeah 26 wheels as it’s a 2010 model which I love!

The Industry Nine’s look absolutely lovely, but no distribution network in the UK unfortunately 🙁

I’ve thought about hand built wheels but I’ve leant towards prebuilt because I know the companies and there might be better access to spares/servicing parts. But I’m game to look at anything.

I’ll take a look at American Classic as well and see.

Thanks for the help again!

Kryton57

American Classic xc’s – thoroughly recommended

dickie
    Free Member

Stans No Tubes Hubs on ZTR Rims – nearly half your budget & about your required weight.

dickie
    Free Member

Stans No Tubes Hubs on ZTR Rims – nearly half your budget & about your required weight.

joolsburger
    Free Member

What does “not enough power transfer” mean?

Nobby

American Classic xc’s – thoroughly recommended

+1

bikesnsnow
    Free Member

I always see Stans No Tube Hubs on ZTR’s, is there a reason why they’re considered so good?

By power transfer I basically meant that the wheels feel very sluggish to start/keep rolling no matter what effort I put in! Probably just a weight issue really!

The American Classic look pretty ideal actually, and very cheap! Have you had any problems with servicing or anything (only a small bikeshop near me so don’t think they have the most extensive knowledge!)

Nobby

The AC’s have proven very reliable over the last 18 months & the bearings are still smooth in both (I did take up the ceramic option when I got mine). Parts readily available and all straight forward to do stuff – I’m mechanically lacking but did an axle change form QR to 15mm in less than 10 mins and without drama.

Edit: tyres can make wheels feel sluggish if they’re heavy/draggy too

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

but I’ve leant towards prebuilt because I know the companies and there might be better access to spares/servicing parts

doesn’t compute…

All the components used can be from mainstream companies, and the quality of the build might well be higher.

Give JRA or someone similar a call and discuss.

I have some old AC hubs but can’t get spares for them now. I have some Hope hubs of the same, or maybe older, age and can get all the spares for them still…

ac282

For £700 I would look at AM hubs and as light a set of rims as you are prepared to go for. For XC even podiums are OK and you could build up a < 1300 g wheelset with the right spokes.

njee20
    Free Member

Yep, as above. I’ve got A2Z hubs on Podiums which are 1246g and less than £400.

I’d be tempted by the DT190s on Podiums that Action Sports have on perpetual special offer.

joolsburger
    Free Member

A set of whatever hubs take your fancy ( I like Hopes many others don’t) + Stans or Mavic rims and built by someone who knows what they are doing would hit the weight target, be strong and reliable and best of all are serviceable with standard bits like spokes and bearings if you really want to spend £700 you could have King hubs and uber nice rims fully built by hand for that. If I’m honest a couple of hundred g’s off your wheels is not going to be anywhere near as noticeable as a faster rolling tyre.

jonnyrockymountain

American classic cx £500 or less and under 1500g
    These hubs are top quality

DT78
    Free Member

You could buy my Olympics on a2z hubs. 1390g for a lot less than £500. Only selling as I’ve got a scale 29er now. I’m done the road in Southampton if you want to take a look (well in wales till tues…)

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘New XC Wheels’ is closed to new replies.