Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • New XC wheel options; King + Alpines or go carbon?
  • m1kea
    Free Member

Have an urge to spend money on more 26″ wheels. 🙄

Currently have Roval Traversee, Controle SL, Easton EA70’s and some Hope /DT 4.2s.

The Rovals are light but the bearings aren’t great. The Hopes I’ve found to be a bit lifeless.

A set of King + Alpines + DT Comp would be approx 1600g for 32 spokes, which is probably going to be nice and bomb proof, but quite heavy.

Jumping over the £1K mark and going carbon, I’d lean towards Easton EC90’s but they’re probably spending money for spendings sake.

Any thoughts?

njee20
    Free Member

DT240s, a pair of Light Bicycle carbon rims and Revolutions. £600 or so, should be sub 1400g.

m1kea
    Free Member

Hmm cheers Nick 🙂

a mate recently got some deep section carbon clincher road wheels. I’ll have to ask him if they were from Light Bicyles

crispycross
    Free Member

32h Stans Podium MMX, DT Revs on DTSwiss 240s, £700 from JRA. Mine came in at 1310 g without QR.

clubber
    Free Member

The Hopes I’ve found to be a bit lifeless.

🙂 What does that mean?

What njee said though.

neninja
    Free Member

Syntace W25 – 1000 Euros

Sub 1300g
    3 year warranty plus another 7 years 50% warranty

m1kea
    Free Member

Cheers folks

Crispycross

I don’t run tubeless so using Alpines JRA came in at £632. Are you happy with the wheels?

Clubber
    I got the Hopes 3+ years ago and they just don’t seem to spin as nicely as the Rovals

Neninja
    I was confusing Syntace with Syncros, who I see Evans have recently started selling. You have any experience with these wheels?

njee20
    Free Member

Syncros are now part of Scott – hence seeing them more in Evans.

Syntace have been quietly producing some decent quality kit in Germany for years! New to wheels though IIRC, so a bit of an unknown, certainly look interesting.

neninja
    Free Member

No personal experience of the Syntace wheels but have seen them in the flesh and they look beautifully made. Typical German quality.

Give Bromley Bikes a ring as they are linked to the distributor for them.

Funilly enough I saw the Carbon XR1.0 Syncros wheels at the weekend as a friend of a friend is a Scott rep. They look stunning. No experience of how they ride, only of drooling over them!

crispycross
    Free Member

Very happy m1kea. I kept them for special occasions; XC races and big rides, so I probably only spent 100-odd hours riding them. I did smack them around pretty hard in that time (hard for XC anyway) and they held up well. Service from JRA was good (build quality, timeliness, communication). My new bike’s a 29er so I sold the wheels early last year to a friend and she loves ’em. Still straight as a die.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘New XC wheel options; King + Alpines or go carbon?’ is closed to new replies.