Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • New XC bike finished- anyone know what it is?
  • Northwind

Everyone else is showing off their ti custom, here’s my, er… Well, been putting this together on the cheap for ages now- it’s done, it works, only question is- what is it? The frame was basically the cheapest used carbon frame on ebay, no stickers or anything, it’s lovely ugly 12K weave, the most hideous of carbon finishes… Seller had no clue what it was. But it’s alright! Wee bit smaller than I’d choose if I wasn’t buying a frame for £80, but it rides nicely.

Team names are important

Built this for knocking around the pentlands and for the glentress 7, which is basically the one XC race I do every year (did it on the fatbike last year, this should be a little faster…). It’s spent most of its time so far bolted to a turbo though, poor thing. First XC bike I’ve had for a while

21.8lbs as you see it here. Other’n the no-name-frame it’s got a set of Reba RLs, DT240S hubs with BOR 366s that I built myself on the cheap, and my ancient KS dropper because even though it’s an XC bike I still want to dick about on it. For race day it’ll probably gain the lighter bars off the fatbike and maybe the drivetrain off my Remedy (the Saint shifter it has on it seems a little odd and it’s geared a little low), that and a couple of other wee polish changes should bring it to about 21lbs with the dropper, cage, mudguard etc. Not super light but it’ll do.

And all for… Ooh, about £750 I reckon, including market value for the spare parts i fitted. And got some bits from the wheels to sell still

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Fork is on upside down.

Northwind

Nuh uh, I doublechecked that.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

😆

fifeandy
    Free Member

WTF are those pedals doing on an XC bike.
    Can’t unsee that, gonna have nightmares for a week!

Northwind

I’m just that enduro!

(OK, serious answer- I have a pretty well wrecked right leg, so I found I need to have tons of float and a really light release for spds to be sensible. I pissed about with that for a while but in the end it just felt like such a compromise- I just didn’t like the feel much in the end. So I just sacked it off and went flats on everything, so used to it now that I forgot to mention it for this bike!)

They are light, at least.

njee20
    Free Member

Looks Chinese. Reinforced by the 12k weave.

fifeandy
    Free Member

Also, hope you have a dry GT7, the TB will be ‘interesting’ in the wet 😆

Northwind

The Ron is pretty much bald too 😆 Special tyres Cole! I’ve got others but these are pretty fun.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

Felt Nine FRD

theocb
    Free Member

I would also go with the chinese jobby guess.. I fink they are about £80 new 😀 (at least it’s easy to replace when it snaps in two while doing 25mph on the steeps 😯 ) Enjoy.

Northwind

That’s the advantage of getting a beaten up used one, it’s already been stress tested 😆

(not an FRD sadly, quite a lot of differences)

thestabiliser
    Free Member

The moss on that path speaks volumes and as for your prop, you must be the shame of the tenament/favela.

oink1
    Free Member

Northwind – Member
    That’s the advantage of getting a beaten up used one, it’s already been stress tested

Really? On a turbo?? 😀 Looks good 🙂

Northwind

I’ll have you know that the clothesline prop is artisan and handcrafted, and the moss is a charming natural feature

And the discarded motorbike tyre? That’s just me being a pikey.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

Only thing I could think of that’s been 12k

njee20
    Free Member

Scott Scales were 12k for years too, and Spesh did a Stumpjumper hardtail. Definitely not either of them.

happybiker
    Free Member

I’m guessing it’s an LTK023, built one a few years ago, you could choose between 3/6/12k or UD. The chain stays are pretty long from memory.

antigee

OK with me – looks like fun to ride…..see you’ve got a tyre line up for a budget fattie build (pic 2)

Northwind

@happybiker, that’s it! Cheers!

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘New XC bike finished- anyone know what it is?’ is closed to new replies.