Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • New winter jacket, bike specific or general outdoor?
  • FOG

After last week in Scotland, I have decided I definitely need a proper winter jacket. Looking at the bike options I wonder if they will be warm enough for day long minus temperatures but on the other hand I don’t want anything too voluminous and flappy. What do people find works for them? I am not looking for something lighter to layer under, I have a few of these. I need something definitely warm in itself and waterproof would be a real bonus.

tomd
    Free Member

Have you considered Paramo? Something like this:

http://www.paramo.co.uk/en-gb/garments/detail/?pgc=NIKWAXANALOGYSMOCKVELEZUNISEX

Personally I find them a bit warm for biking but for being out and about in rank weather they are brilliant. They last forever and ever. Quite a few folk swear by them for biking, they suit folk wanting something a bit warmer or riding in awful conditions.

FOG

I have got one of the bigger ones for walking which is great but I think it might be a bit warm for biking even in the winter. I have heard the new cycling one is considerably lighter.

ton

i have just bought a showers pass jacket. very nice indeed.
    they do a few different styles too.

loddrik
    Free Member

Got a Paramo Cuzco, best winter bike jacket I’ve ever had. Perfect in every way, just no good for summer.

tomd
    Free Member

Ah OK cool so you know the score with the Paramo stuff. Yes the new ones are a lot thinner / lighter.

For non bike specific stuff, I also have a Rab Vapour Rise jacket which is great on the bike in winter. It’s kind of similar to Paramo but a bit cheaper and you may prefer the style. It’s a softshell but puts up a decent fight at keeping the rain out, especially if kept proofed. I wouldn’t use it for high energy stuff but for a day out in the hills or with a group it’s great.

richellicott
    Free Member

I don’t have a warmer winter jacket, just layer up and wear an Endura Venturi waterproof over the top. But I recently saw a madison roam jacket that looked like it would be warm and waterproof, I liked the look of it and it could be what you’re after
    http://www.madison.co.uk/products/cycling/clothing-eyewear/jackets-gilets/roam-men-s-waterproof-jacket-royal-blue-large/

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘New winter jacket, bike specific or general outdoor?’ is closed to new replies.