Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • New winter garden visitors
  • MaryHinge
    Free Member

Last year we had a flock of waxwings in the garden.

We now have a few Redwings. Not seen them here before.

Anyone else seen anything new or interesting?

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

not in the garden, but what looked like a white tailed sea eagle was seen overhead recently.
    pheasants are regulars, wish I liked the taste of them

footflaps

My garden has been virtually devoid of birds this winter – last year I had to refill the feeders every week – this year they’re still half full from November!

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Grizla
    Free Member

We have regular Jays that have worked out how to hang off a peanut feeder. Clever buggers.

derek_starship
    Free Member

Our garden has been very quiet this winter. Nothing more than wrens, robins, dunnocks, blue tits and long tailed tits. Not seen a single finch yet.

MY nut sack is hanging heavy 😮

large418
    Free Member

lots of pigeons, blue and great tits, coal tits, long tailed tits, blackbirds, song and mistle thrushes, redwings and fieldfares, chaffinches & robins as well as my favourite, the nuthatch.
    And the buzzards overhead and pheasants, it’s great here!

Not seen any greenfinches for ages though.

And the sparrowhawk isn’t around much either

mt
    Free Member

14 magpies at once on Sunday, got to find a way to get rid of them or we’ll have no other birds this summer. My magpie song knowledge only goes up to 7.

grahamb
    Free Member

It’s been an unusually quiet winter. The first for quite a few years without any visiting Blackcaps. Normally i have 3 or 4 here from the first easterly winds in November through to March. I’ve still got the usual assortment of wren, dunnock, tits, blackbirds. Always have plenty of finches. There’s about 20 assorted green/gold/chaff sat on the feeders right now.

The Sparrowhawk took what i think might have been the first redwing of the winter this morning 🙁

The redwings & fieldfare only usually show up in harsh winters when all the food has disappeared from up on the Downs.

piha
    Free Member

Not new but next doors bloody cats again….. 👿

MaryHinge
    Free Member

It’s been fairly quiet bird wise here too so far. I reckon as the ground hasn’t been frozen up until now, they’ve been able to find enough food away from gardens.

We get a few of the usual suburban garden birds, plus buzzards and sparrowhaws circling.

Expect to see a bit more activity if the cold snap continues.

reluctantwrinkly
    Free Member

we had Redwings too over the weekend raiding my Holly & Pyracantha berries.Fieldfare locally too (Cambridge) Totally devoid of other songbirds since about October apart from the odd Robin or Blue Tit-lots of Magpies though. I read somewhere recently that Magpies weren’t responsible for diminishing numbers though.

konagirl
    Free Member

Not “new this year” as we’re new to the area (we moved to Cambridgeshire from the Liverpool suburbs in November), but I’ve seen quite a few birds I’ve never seen / noticed before, and loads at our feeder: yellowhammers, greenfinches (gregorious little things keep bullying everything else out!), chaffinches and coal tits we never got in Liverpool, and a green woodpecker (woot!) a few weeks ago, before the big chill. Thats in addition to the usual crowd (sparrows, robin, wren, blackbirds, starlings, jackdaws, blue tits, great tits, collared doves, wood pigeons) … I like the countryside.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘New winter garden visitors’ is closed to new replies.