Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • New windows – Fensa installer or buildings regs route?
  • bluearsedfly
    Free Member

We’re due to move into a new house and part of the deal is that the vendor is to fit new windows and doors.

There has been a legal contract drafted between us that amongst other stipulations, I have requested he has the windows and doors fitted by a Fensa approved company, my main reason for this was to stop him using a back street builder to fit them and also I’d be dealing direct with the manufacturer/installer in the case of any future warranty claims as most Fensa companies seem to manufacture their own windows and doors.

We’ve agreed a fair budget between us for the works to be carried out to but after a few prices it seems the Fensa regulated companies prices are quite a bit higher than the vendors budget. This would mean I would be liable to any costs over the vendors budget.

I’m willing to contribute anything over the vendors budget if that by using a Fensa registered manufacturer/installer we are both getting our monies worth.

I’ve since read ‘anyone’ can fit windows and doors providing they are manufactured and fitted in accordance to the relevant buildings regs and specs and have them approved by the local council. Doing it this way does work out cheaper and would be within the vendors budget, but I’m worried about future warranty issues and I presume that I would be liable for the removal of faulty units and re installation of replacements along with another cert off the council.

My question being, is it worth me paying the extra for a Fensa registered manufacturer/installer and not worrying about any future warranty issues or do I save the money and find a decent manufacturer and independent fitter?

He’s happy to ditch the Fensa clause from the contract if I am, but I’m not sure which way to go?

Thanks.

jb72
    Free Member

Why can’t you agree to drop the price? The vendor will want to fit the cheapest windows they can get away with. You are going to have to live with them for the next so many years.

Fensa does seem to be a load of nonsense … but when you sell you’ll be asked for the cert so it’s worth getting.

unovolo
    Free Member

I’d go for a price drop on the house too and take the drama out of it.
    Then you can get the windows YOU want fitted in due course without any of the mither.

Seems to be over complicated doing it the other way.

fongsaiyuk
    Free Member

any new windows fitted need to fitted by a fensa registered fitter or sign off by building control

why not knock the cost of the windows off the purchase price and then sort yourself once you own the property – you then have total control over choice and installation

edit – beaten to it

mtbfix

Seems to be over complicated doing it the other way.

This +1. Select an agreed budget and take that off the sale price?

bluearsedfly
    Free Member

He wasn’t prepared to come down any lower than he already had so offered to fit the windows and doors as part of the deal. He thought he could get the windows and doors fitted a lot cheaper than what the quotes have come in at. What he may have eventually knocked off the price of the house is now a lot less than he is paying for the windows and doors.

So is it worth using a Fensa approved manufacturer/installer?

russ295
    Free Member

Fensa is basically a competent person scheme. Same as the NICEIC is for electrical work.
    Not all fensa contractors make their own windows. They buy them from a upvc window co and fit them.
    If your happy with the windows that are to be fitted, the BC route is perfectly fine.

wwaswas

I did building control when I converted a window to French windows, it wasn’t a problem, he was thorough, checked lintels, dpc, documentation on the windows for insulation etc so I’d be comfortable buying a house that had been done this way.

senorj

I would rather have the FENSA certs tbh. Pay extra for the windows you want.
    We had to provide indemnity cover for the flat we sold with cheap (perfectly good) non-FENSA windows.

bear-uk
    Free Member

My mate has been a window / conservatory installer for years and he is not Fensa registered. He recons he has never had any problems for being that way.
    As for having to have everything signed off it would seem my house and conny are illegal.
    Wonder if I should turn myself in. 😳

matt_outandabout

Having had a few quotes recently…

Local companies, supply and fit french door fitted £2,400-2,800.

One was showing off they used a great, reputable company in Doncaster to supply Synergy system door.

The same company in Doncster will supply door direct to me for £740 delivered.

Even if someone charges me a couple of workers at £200 each a day, and £200 of fitting bits and bobs, I am still over £1k better off…

shifter
    Free Member

Both of my houses have had windows done by a mate, the indemnity thing costs next to nothing.

nickjb
    Free Member

Complete scam of a system. I can do my own plumbing, replace a roof, even 90% of electrics without any notification or schemes but heaven forbid I should dare to fit a window!

russ295
    Free Member

“We had to provide indemnity cover for the flat we sold with cheap (perfectly good) non-FENSA windows”

You can’t get non fensa windows, a window is a window. It’s like saying you can only use NICEIC cable.
    It’s a scheme/con that supposedly assures you get a correct job.
    I think the BC route is about £120 for an inspection.

unovolo
    Free Member

Fitted all the windows and doors in my house myself bar the Bay window(which was done by the same suppliers and have fensa certificates for).

It’s not exactly rocket science I’d say the biggest issue is having the right tools.
    Agreed that the fensa scheme seems a bit of a scam, especially when you see what a poor job some of the so called professionals do (looking at you safestyle)

flap_jack
    Free Member

Good local builder and BC.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘New windows – Fensa installer or buildings regs route?’ is closed to new replies.