Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 50 total)
  • New Windows 7
  • rainbow
    Free Member

Does anyone is using the new Window 7? I have just bought a new laptop and it’s using Windows 7, I am not liking it and prefer the old Windows XP setting, it’s possible to change it or the classic setting?

scaredypants

W7 beats the living shit out of xp IMO

you can prob make it look like xp but don’t ask it to act like xp

molgrips
    Free Member

Just learn the new stuff. In two weeks you’ll be loving it.

clubber
    Free Member

Change scares some people. Go on, be brave 🙂

rainbow
    Free Member

I just liked the simple straight forward set up with Windows XP was hoping to find the classic set up somewhere in Windows 7, I am no computer geek. Feeling stressed with it already! 😆

leffeboy

It’s different so it is a bit painful but as it was so eloquently put – “it beats the living shit out of xp”. If you’re finding it difficult to adjust though then just spend 20mins or so watching some of the videos on the ‘New to Windows 7’ tab here

MrNutt
    Free Member

its good

jon1973
    Free Member

Just learn the new stuff. In two weeks you’ll be loving it.

+1 for that. I was an XP devotee, but I really like Windows 7 now. I have it on a new laptop, and I’m tempted to buy a copy for my PC now.

molgrips
    Free Member

I am no computer geek.

That’s why you’ll like W7 better when you get the hang of it. It’s worth it, trust us.

What exactly are you finding hard btw?

spacemonkey

XP may well be stable etc but it sure as Hell is friggin dull by today’s visual-topian standards.

Vista was great (IMO) – no issues whatsoever with any piece of software.

And Win 7 is a step up again. Definitely stolen some ideas from OSX but all for the better. Decent enough eye-candy and very functional. Worth persevering IMO.

Cougar

It’s not a setting, it’s a different system. It’s like buying a Mondeo and then going “I preferred the old Cortina, can I enable that instead?”

You could wipe the PC and install XP, but it’s not a simple procedure and you’d need a copy of XP, and a licence, to do that. And, you’d be daft to do it.

Windows 7 is better than XP. Fact. However, there is a learning curve. Seriously, give it a chance.

molgrips
    Free Member

Start menu is now a round button. Click on that, then click on ‘all programs’ – your stuff is there.

When you run a program the name no longer appears on the taskbar at the bottom of the screen, you just get a lil picture instead.

That’s basically it.

RoterStern
    Free Member

I’m lovin’ my W7 too. Loads easier to use than XP IMO. And I’m no pooter geek either!

rs
    Free Member

Start menu is now a round button. Click on that, then click on ‘all programs’ – your stuff is there.

When you run a program the name no longer appears on the taskbar at the bottom of the screen, you just get a lil picture instead.

That’s basically it.

this, I can’t figure out whats so different thats giving the OP such problems.

aracer
    Free Member

“New” Windows 7? Is there something newer and flashier I’m missing out on, or are you still living in 2010?

xiphon
    Free Member

Been on Win7 since early beta… I quite like it.

clubber
    Free Member

aracer – Member
    “New” Windows 7? Is there something newer and flashier I’m missing out on, or are you still living in 2010?
    POSTED 7 HOURS AGO # REPORT-POST

Well, very early versions of W8 are out there now…

singletracksurfer

i want / am thinking of upgrading from xp to 7 – where/how is best to do it?

also is it likely to sort out my forever crashing outlook?

thanks

uplink
    Free Member

i want / am thinking of upgrading from xp to 7 – where/how is best to do it?

depends really

A clean install is the best option in a perfect world but you’ll need to set everything up again & reinstall all your programs and apps
    if you really can’t face that an upgrade install should leave everything pretty much in place at the risk of a more bloated OS

Cougar

You’ll need a copy of W7 first. If you are / know a student, software4students.co.uk is the way to go.

We can help with the ‘how’ once you’ve got it.

Stoner
    Free Member

I run XP on my netbookx to keep them lightweight and stable on lower . hardware spec, and W7 on the monster. Love both the OS. can switch between them without a thought now.

Cant say I use much extra functionality on W7 yet – still use addons to do that like Beyond Compare to sync and Treesize to manage storage. I imagine theres a W7 tool to do both of those somewhere.

My only gripe is a couple of corrupt files somewhere in the build means I cant run “Rate my poo System” to see how I score. But I cant afford to risk a rebuild now its set up so sweetly with all my apps and whatever corrruption is there doesnt effect my day to day use. I wonder if it will repair itself safely?

I have a backup image and backup, maybe I could do it safely. Too nervous.

Cougar

Run a chkdsk then try “sfc /scannow” from an admin command prompt, perhaps?

thepurist

singletracksurfer – if you are a student or, perhaps, the PC will be used by someone who is a student to do their homework, you can get fully legit, el cheapo Win7 (+ office) from software4students & a few other places.

Just make sure you read the Ts & Cs first so you can confidently tick the box that says you comply.

Going to Win 7 from XP needs a clean install but if you’re a bit trepidatious it’s easy to set it as a dual boot so you can leave XP on there & check what extra gubbins you had installed etc.

xiphon
    Free Member

I might be able to help with a perfectly legit and above board Win7.

EMail in profile if you want to find out more…

singletracksurfer

do I need to buy different things and is there a price difference between upgrading and total new install?

Xiphon – YGM

Torminalis
    Free Member

molgrips
    Free Member

is there a price difference between upgrading and total new install

Yes. Although if you are upgrading from XP or 2k then it really is a total new install, but you still pay the upgrade price I think. It’s cheaper out of recognition that you’re a previous customer, rather than it being technically easier or anything.

Torminalis
    Free Member

I run XP on my netbookx to keep them lightweight and stable on lower . hardware spec, and W7 on the monster.

W7 has actually sped up a few of my machines that were previously running like dogs on XP, I think it is in fact the more lightweight operating system, certainly faster and less stressful to the hardware.

DezB
    Free Member

Windows 7 boots faster, but I prefer XP to use.
    Have a laptop with each and I miss a lot of the XP features on W7. Obviously there are some things that “kick the poo out of” XP, but overall, I prefer XP.

molgrips
    Free Member

I miss a lot of the XP features on W7

What like?

DezB
    Free Member

I knew someone would ask that! Hang on..

DezB
    Free Member

Ok – Right-click “Explore” – not the same as “Open”
    Click a folder to expand it. Click “minus” to collapse. Win7 does weird things, expands the folder, then expands it again. Really annoying. (This is when I’m adding stuff to my iTunes library)

Right-click a folder to search in it. Much more natural than selecting the folder then going to the box up the top and entering the search.

There are other things I do daily that bug me. Can’t think of em at the mo.

molgrips
    Free Member

So it’s the moving around of things rather than features.. right.. well times change Granddad 🙂

ourkidsam
    Free Member

The search box on the start menu in W7 – it’s worth it just for that. Windows key, start typing the name of what you want, hit enter. I bloody love it. Hardly ever have to go looking through a list in ‘All Programs’ anymore.

DezB
    Free Member

Hmph, predictable response, molgrips!
    I’ve gone from Windows 3.1 through all operating systems and they have got better each time (leaving Vista out). This time they took out some of the things I liked though. And I’m not happy about it. I’m writing to my MP.

That search box has not found some things when I’ve used it. Crap.

leffeboy

I’ve gone from Windows 3.1 through all operating systems and they have got better each time

Millenium? (Was that what it was called or was it ‘ME’)

molgrips
    Free Member

XP search has always been cack at finding things for me. Especially searching IN documents. It consistently fails to find things that I know are there, and other programs can find without any bother.

The W7 search is much better.

DezB, my point is that every time a new version of Windows comes out people grumble that things are different. I bet you grumbled about changes in XP over W2K didn’t you?

16stonepig
    Free Member

There’s no “explore” on right click now because the “open” interface now has the explore-style tree on the left by default. No need for different commands anymore.

DezB
    Free Member

bet you grumbled about changes in XP over W2K didn’t you

NO! I loved my XP 😥

Why is everyone having a go at me cos I preferred XP? Sod off!

(I liked having the choice between Open OR Explore OK??)

scaredypants

Yeh dez, you old git !

it IS, however, totally fair comment that new MSOffice versions are different for its own sake 👿

FACT

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 50 total)

The topic ‘New Windows 7’ is closed to new replies.